Blessing of the Pets on Oct 4

Anyone going to get their pets blessed on Oct 4 – feast of St. Francis of Assissi, the patron saint of animals? Also, has anyone seen an improvement of their pets’ behavior after the blessing? I have a yr old cat, adopted as a 9 wk kitten from the canyons of San Diego, who definately needs some improvement of behavior.
Thanks, Mike

What time? Is this at the Mission de Alcala? We’ve got a hamster and and fish that needs blessing, too! :slight_smile:

[quote=MikeinSD]Anyone going to get their pets blessed on Oct 4 – feast of St. Francis of Assissi, the patron saint of animals? Also, has anyone seen an improvement of their pets’ behavior after the blessing? I have a yr old cat, adopted as a 9 wk kitten from the canyons of San Diego, who definately needs some improvement of behavior.
Thanks, Mike
[/quote]

We blessed the animals this past Saturday. None of them burst into flames after the Holy water hit them. So I think were ok.

I got my cat blessed yesterday, at 16 years old he needs all he can get. :slight_smile:

My crazy dog:whacky: would not behave and I had to leave.(I don’t have this problems with the kids, only that crazy mutt) But from what I able to see, it was very nicely done outdoors. I got home and told my husband (he stayed with our son who might be afraid of all the animals–he’s autistic) that the dog is grounded from doggie treats for a week for being bad at Church;)

Anyone going to get their pets blessed on Oct 4 –

I don’t think so.

You may find it hard to believe , but my 3 Staffordshire terriers just don’t get along that well with cats who will also be in attendance, I guess that pitbulls just aren’t as Catholic as most folks would think.

I’m looking up on line where the pet blessing will be in San Diego. I’ll have to bring Keegan in his carrier which he disgraced himself the last time we used it. Urine everywhere. I think I can transport him in his carrier but hold him during the blessing. I am afraid of supernatural sparks. He is not the best behaved of cats…

[quote=Kielbasi]I don’t think so.

You may find it hard to believe , but my 3 Staffordshire terriers just don’t get along that well with cats who will also be in attendance, I guess that pitbulls just aren’t as Catholic as most folks would think.
[/quote]

They might need a double blessing. :smiley: As so ill-behaved cats.

And has anyone noticed an improvement of behavior in their pets after the blessing? My cat insists on swatting his father’s ankles. Unbecoming in the best circumstances but especially unwelcome at 5:30 am while trying to make one’s first cup of coffee.

[quote=MikeinSD]And has anyone noticed an improvement of behavior in their pets after the blessing? My cat insists on swatting his father’s ankles. Unbecoming in the best circumstances but especially unwelcome at 5:30 am while trying to make one’s first cup of coffee.
[/quote]

I haven’t really noticed a difference in Pops’ behavior (his real name is Pepper, but because of his age - 16 - I’ve been calling him “Pops” as in grand pa…lol). He still sleeps 22 hours a day, eats, drinks his milk and uses the litter box. That pretty much sums up his day. :wink:

I will be totally devastated once he passes away, he’s been with me since he was a kitten. The reality of his mortality becomes more and more apparent with each passing year (although the vet says he’s as healthy as a horse). I have faith though that the blessing he receives from the priest every year will help him continue to live a full life until his, hopefully, painless death.

It is a great tradition, I’m not sure if I notices a difference in our dog, but he is a wonderful pet.

I’m sure “Pops” has had a great and happy life with still more to look forward to. When my former cat companion was very elderly, we enjoyed just hanging out the in the sun on the balcony together. He purred. Guess he was happy.
Mike

My parish did it after the 12 noon Mass on Sunday. I am suprised they did not wait until Tuesday since it is ran by the Franciscans.

PF

You’re going to find this really strange, but the Baton Rouge newspaper is full of stories about Episcopalian blessings but did not contain a single story about Catholic blessings and it’s not as though we’re not doing it. When did St. Francis become Episcopalian?

You’re going to find this really strange, but the Baton Rouge newspaper is full of stories about Episcopalian blessings but did not contain a single story about Catholic blessings and it’s not as though we’re not doing it. When did St. Francis become Episcopalian?

The Episcopalians have always had a lot of love for St. Francis, same with the Presbyterians as well.

The Presbyterian cathedral here in Pittsburgh has St. Francis in stained glass, although they also have Knox and Calvin on adjacent panes.

Probably the reason for the Baton Rouge story is that the Episcopalian rectors there were just easier to get a hold of for the reporter on the beat, and/or more anxious to discuss their blessings than the local Catholic priests.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]My parish did it after the 12 noon Mass on Sunday. I am suprised they did not wait until Tuesday since it is ran by the Franciscans.

PF
[/quote]

We did too, only it was a little later.

[quote=kaymart]We did too, only it was a little later.
[/quote]

Who did you get blessed?

My son’s gecko died the day after it was blassed last year. That changed it’s behavior.

[quote=Lorik]My son’s gecko died the day after it was blassed last year. That changed it’s behavior.
[/quote]

I’m sorry. Sometimes holy water can be a bit much.

[quote=Lorik]My son’s gecko died the day after it was blassed last year. That changed it’s behavior.
[/quote]

LIQUID ALLERT!!!

I now have Diet Coke coating my keyboard!
(and through my nose, owie!)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.