Blessing of the senses

At Mass yesterday our padre introduced the folks who were to be baptized at Easter.
Among other things he introduced what he described as the traditional practice of The Blessing of the Senses. He read a series of blessings while each sponsor made the Sign of the Cross with their thumb on ear, eye, mouth, foot etc.
I have never seen this “traditional” blessing in my almost seven decades of being Catholic, nor can I find information about it on the net.
Does anybody know where I can read about this practice?

[quote="roadsend, post:1, topic:186979"]
At Mass yesterday our padre introduced the folks who were to be baptized at Easter.
Among other things he introduced what he described as the traditional practice of The Blessing of the Senses. He read a series of blessings while each sponsor made the Sign of the Cross with their thumb on ear, eye, mouth, foot etc.
I have never seen this "traditional" blessing in my almost seven decades of being Catholic, nor can I find information about it on the net.

[/quote]

It is just part of the rite of Baptism. A Google search for "rite of baptism catholic church" or "baptismal anointing catholic" is the best thing to do. The New Advent site will probably have info too. This site could be a good start.

I have never seen this "traditional" blessing in my almost seven decades of being Catholic, nor can I find information about it on the net.

[/quote]

it is part of the RCIA, which has been implemented for over 30 years, I am very glad you and your parish had the opportunity to witness this and welcome the catechumens.

It's in the Roman Ritual, it's traditional to bless the five senses, and to pray they be protected and serve God rather than the devil. :)

Let us secure our senses, sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, through them death enters. Let us bridle our mind not to be carried off to things it should not, not to step into the pitfall of unseemly things, not to picture to ourselves evil images nor to conceive sinful desires, from which we gain no profit or pleasure; on the contrary we are pained and crushed accomplishing nothing useful. There is one repose then and one pleasure, to cleanse the soul and to look towards dispassion.

St. Theodore the Studite

. . . Deign, Mother and Lady most tender, to accept this poor heart, my memory, my will, and all my other powers and senses, internal and external; accept my eyes, my ears, my mouth, my hands, my feet; govern them all in conformity to the good pleasure of thy Son, as I intend by every movement of them to give thee infinite glory. And by that wisdom with which thy well-beloved Son glorified thee, I pray and beseech thee to obtain for me light and vision clearly to know myself and my own nothingness, and in particular to know my sins, that so I may hate and loathe them; I pray thee also to obtain for me light to discern the snares of the infernal enemy, and all his modes of attack, whether open or hidden.

from Thanksgiving Prayers for the Privileges given the Most Holy Virgin on Her Assumption into Heaven

. . .

[/quote]

There is a White Book * put out by the USCCB which contains all the rites for the RCIA.

Incidentally, Some years ago I went to my goddaughter's acceptance into religious life. They used a similar blessing of the senses in that rite.*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.