Blessing of Throats / Saint Blaise

I know that many parishes also bless throats on the Sunday masses nearest the feast of Saint Blaise (February 2nd). Which Sunday does your church do this at (Before or After Feastday)?

My parish in my hometown blesses throats the Sunday after the feast of St. Blase, the parish I attend while in college doesn't bless throats, and my friend's college parish in Washington D.C. blesses throats on the feast of St. Blase (they are lucky to have a large attendance every day at daily Mass.)

My parish did it yesterday.

Father is blessing throats after every Mass this coming weekend - after the feast day - Feb. 3rd, isn't it?

Today is the feast day. Our priest blessed us during Mass this morning.

I only recall our previous priest blessing throats two or three times in the 15 years he was in our parish.
I am glad to see our current priest giving this blessing.

In our parish, the throat blessing will be after daily mass today at noon.

[quote="cydonian, post:5, topic:185431"]
Today is the feast day. Our priest blessed us during Mass this morning.

I only recall our previous priest blessing throats two or three times in the 15 years he was in our parish.
I am glad to see our current priest giving this blessing.

[/quote]

I've always liked this special feast day of Saint Blaise. It's interesting that you remark on only seeing this feast day being observed only two or three times in fifteen years. Not sure how often it is observed through every parish in the United States. In my neck of the woods in Atlantic Canada in my archdiocese this feast day is sadly fading into oblivion.
Maybe it's the old school priests verses the new modern era of priests. I remember a devote catholic gentlemen in his late 60's from Montreal when I was a full time sacristan who told me he hadn't seen the feast of Saint Blaise commemorated at Mass on Feb 3rd in 30 years after I gave him a tour of the Church and Sacristy showing him the Saint Blaise candles. Seems rather odd that some priest don't choose to commemorate this special occasion. I think it's a beautiful feast.

Prayer to Saint Blaise

Dear bishop and lover of souls, you willingly bore heavy crosses in faithful imitation of Jesus. Similarly, with Christ-like compassion you cured many sufferers. Then after undergoing horrible torture, you died as a martyr for Christ. Obtain a cure for these {describe the afflictions} ills if this is agreeable to God. Amen.

It will be in conjunction with weekday Mass today and tomorrow, at my parish. Wednesday and Thursday are the only days we have weekday Mass - one at each of the two churches (we're a joined parish).

Our priest will do the blessing of the throats this Sunday, Feb. 7.

We're having the blessing of the throats today after the 5pm Mass.

We had our throats blessed the Sunday before the feast day--this past Sunday. I feel bad because no one told those that are in RCIA about it, and they didn't know they could get their throats blessed.:( There they were, sitting patiently in class, waiting for us.:o

[quote="mwscott, post:2, topic:185431"]
My parish in my hometown blesses throats the Sunday after the feast of St. Blase, the parish I attend while in college doesn't bless throats, and my friend's college parish in Washington D.C. blesses throats on the feast of St. Blase (they are lucky to have a large attendance every day at daily Mass.)

[/quote]

How come your local parish doesn't do it?

I haven't had my throat blessed in years. None of the four churches I have attended in the last thirty years have done it. I wish they would.......

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.