Blessing of Throats

So how many people here got their throats blessed at Mass in honour of St. Blaise? Anything special or memorable happen?

http://www.magnificat.ca/cal/gifs/0203.jpg

Through the intercession of Saint Blaise, bishop and martyr, may God deliver you from ailments of the throat and from every other evil. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

:wave:

They are also doing it at our Sunday masses in our parish, so that’s when I will have mine blessed. Guess it’s because many can’t get to morning mass on St. Blase’s feast.

Being First Friday and all, I was hoping more parishes in my area would have a special evening Mass incorporating the throat blessing. Very few are, and those are far away. Instead, we are going to a Holy Hour with Benediction and somehow the priest is going to accomplish the throat blessings in that setting. I imagine he will do it after reposition of the Blessed Sacrament into the Tabernacle.
:hmmm:

We did.

:wave: :wave:

(that is two of us)

Yup. I went this morning and it was yet another unfolding joy in my exploration of our faith. Seems like every day has something new in store for me as the days roll by and Confirmation approaches.

When I was young each person walked up to get their throat blessed. The priest held two candles in a ‘v’ in front of your throat and gave you an individual blessing.

Today, our priest did a ‘general throat blessing’ for the entire congregation in place of the final blessing at the end of Mass. Is this how it’s done these days?

I took my Kendall Blaise this morning. Then I took him out for donuts. :smiley:

The rest of the guys stayed home, :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

:wave:

[quote=Elzee]When I was young each person walked up to get their throat blessed. The priest held two candles in a ‘v’ in front of your throat and gave you an individual blessing.

[/quote]

Our parish did it that way today. One priest (or the deacon) at each exit.

We had a general blessing of the throats after the homily today, with individual blessings after Mass. There were enough people at Mass this morning for a Sunday Mass, so I didn’t stay for the individual blessing. Mass ran a little longer than normal, and I was late for work…

[quote=Elzee]Today, our priest did a ‘general throat blessing’ for the entire congregation in place of the final blessing at the end of Mass. Is this how it’s done these days?
[/quote]

Ours did individual blessings.

I have never seen daily Mass that crowded. :thumbsup:

I remember last year getting my throat blessed, than catching a really nasty cold the next week that affected my throat.

We must have had at least 60+ packed in our little daily mass chapel at noon today. We had individual blessings after the homily and it probably added another 10 minutes.

I thought it was kind of ironic that our priest was losing his voice (dry throat) as he was saying that blessing over and over again. Poor guy. I got up and got him a dixie cup of water.

Our parish priest had trouble with his microphone today, of all days he said. “So, St Blaise is making me shout, he says your throat is good, go ahead yell…I think he must have a sense of humor.”

I remember thinking during the blessing, —this is so much better than a flu shot! …and then I thanked the Lord. :o

at MIL’s parish, where we take her for First Friday, they did not do it, hope they do it Sunday, she was so disappointed.

[quote=Elzee]When I was young each person walked up to get their throat blessed. The priest held two candles in a ‘v’ in front of your throat and gave you an individual blessing.

Today, our priest did a ‘general throat blessing’ for the entire congregation in place of the final blessing at the end of Mass. Is this how it’s done these days?
[/quote]

By priests also given to general absolution and lay homilists!

:mad:

Anna

Got mine blessed today. I was really focused on attending Mass for First Friday, but when I walked in, I kinda surprised to see so many people! Then the priest announced after the homily that the Blessing of the Throats was going to take place next, and I said, “Oh! Yeah! I remember now!”

We had it done the traditional way, individually, with the two candles in a “v”. It did add some extra minutes to what the Mass normally would have taken, but it was all good! :thumbsup:

All of us at school today. I told the kindergarteners the story about St. Blaise yesterday. (The fish bone story and why St. Blaise is the patron saint of throats. A mother told me today that her son would not stay home sick because he did not want to choke to death so he needed to have his throat blessed. It is interesting what children put together from a lesson.

I got my throat blessed today. I went to our noon Mass at the Cathedral here, it was packed. :slight_smile:

[quote=Tonks40]We had it done the traditional way, individually, with the two candles in a “v”. It did add some extra minutes to what the Mass normally would have taken, but it was all good! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Ditto. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.