"Blessing or Curse" by Derek Prince

Has anyone here read this book? - Blessing or Curse: You Can Choose by Derek Prince

I’ve gotten through the first one and a half chapters or so and it seems interesting but some of the ideas seem a little outlandish to me, even if not necessarily heretical. Also he isn’t Catholic anyway so that’s another reason I’m kinda more inclined to take it with a grain of salt. If you’ve read the whole thing already (or even just looked at it) please let me know what you thought.

I have read parts of the book in the past. Though Derek Prince was not Catholic, I appreciated the premise that every aspect of our lives should be a reflection of our Christian path.

I have an acquaintance who is seeing a “Catholic Psychologist,” and the psychologist recommended this book. The author claims that even statues like we use in the Catholic church have some propensity to be part of the occult, martial arts are avenues for the occult, accupuncture, etc.

I go to an acupuncturist and don’t find that she does any hocus-pocus when I am there, so I am wondering if this book isn’t a little off the wall.

And more specifically, what is the Magisterium’s position on curses as described by Prince? I would like to think that a Catholic therapist would be working within the dogmas and doctrines of the Church, but when I see/hear about this kind of stuff, it makes me wonder.

I would like an apologist to respond to this post, if possible.

Don’t you have to post in another place for a response?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have read the book, and I appreciate the thought in the book that our life should be a reflection to our commitment to Christ. With that said, my thought is that the psychologist may be Catholic or working for the Catholic church, but it sounds like he/she is practicing more of the Evangelical Christian path. I do recall that Prince mentioned a decorative dragon that his grandfather brought back from a war from the earlier 20th century (I believe), and some negative situations resulting from the presence of this decorative piece. Prince apparently felt it was cursed. I always wondered how it was that his grandfather came into ownership of the piece…was someone murdered for it?

I am not an expert, but I do believe that the Catholic church does not have a problem with the martial arts or accupuncture. In fact, I have overheard some Evangelical Christians refer to Catholics as a bunch of liberals because we are open to things like Yoga, etc. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.