Blessing something more than once?

Is there ever a need to bless something more than once? For example, my pastor blesses cars every year for the feast of St. Elijiah, and it’s often the same cars year after year. Why would it be necessary to bless them again? Do demons only lurk in cars for 12 months? Or does God’s grace fade after a while?

Need?

No.

As Bookcat stated, no need as such. However, to provide another example - a living one - people certainly bring their same pets to the annual Blessing of the Animals each October. And the annual Blessing of the Fleet in Gloucester Massachusetts certainly blesses many of the same fishing boats each year. I don't think it's a bad thing to seek God's blessing in these types of settings each year. The issue would be to avoid superstition and thinking that repeated blessings in a short period of time are somehow more effective.

A priest once told me you only need something blessed once, unless it becomes materially something else (say your rosary broke in pieces, and you incorporate some of the pieces into a new rosary, then you'd get the new rosary blessed). But minor changes (say, painting a statue or doing minor repairs) doesn't necessitate another blessing.

I'm not disagreeing with other posters, but the thought struck me that WE are blessed at the end of every single Mass we attend. Why not bless my car every year, or my fishing boat, or my farm fields, etc.?

=TheAdvocate;10663499]Is there ever a need to bless something more than once? For example, my pastor blesses cars every year for the feast of St. Elijiah, and it's often the same cars year after year. Why would it be necessary to bless them again? Do demons only lurk in cars for 12 months? Or does God's grace fade after a while?

"Necessary"? NOT:)

Beneficial YES!:thumbsup:
It's NOT the car being protected but the passangers that ride IN the car.:)

Multiple besiings is much the same as saying MORE than one prayer for your intention.
CAN"T hurt:D

[quote="929dad, post:5, topic:324188"]
I'm not disagreeing with other posters, but the thought struck me that WE are blessed at the end of every single Mass we attend.

[/quote]

Lol! I was going to make the same connection. I don't find any wrong in blessing things or animals for continued good use or health. But items that are sacramental in nature only need to be blessed once. I'm talking about rosary's, crosses, etc.

Maybe we should clarify:

1) Creating a sacramental (e.g. rosary, crucifix, icon, medal) - done once

2) Getting a blessing which does not create a sacramental - sometimes done multiple times (e.g. blessing a house), but not always (e.g. blessing a meal) - and perhaps has more to do with its use than with the thing itself?

Thinking out loud here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.