Blessings for Guns

Does anyone know if there is a traditional blessing prayer for guns?

I don’t know, but I do know that gun rights groups have lobbied the Vatican to name St. Gabriel Possenti as the patron saint of handguns.

gunsaint.com/default.asp

[quote=Kielbasi]I don’t know, but I do know that gun rights groups have lobbied the Vatican to name St. Gabriel Possenti as the patron saint of handguns.

gunsaint.com/default.asp
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks. St. George would be a good patron saint as well, since he is the patron of warriors.

How’s this sound for a blessing:

St. Gabriel,
Protector of those who bear arms.
Hear our prayer and intercede with Christ
our God that he may make our barrels straight,
our triggers swift, and our aim accurate.

[quote=DreadVandal]Does anyone know if there is a traditional blessing prayer for guns?
[/quote]

I certainly hope not!

I certainly hope not!

:rolleyes: Why not, Father can bless a car or a house-why can’t he bless another inanimate, and MORALLY NEUTRAL object-namely a firearm. I really get tired of people who think guns are evil and thus the people who collect and shoot them are evil too. Shooting, collecting, hunting and any other pastime that involves guns is generally very safe and a very intellectually satisfying hobby.

I should ask St. Gabriel Possenti to pray for me and make sure that my Walther P1 gets shipped to my FFL in one piece, and in the condition described. :thumbsup:

As to the original question, I would bet for sure that the old Latin blessing book would have one because my local FSSP priest was telling us about blessings for things and he had mentioned such a blessing.

[quote=ComradeAndrei]:rolleyes: Why not, Father can bless a car or a house-why can’t he bless another inanimate, and MORALLY NEUTRAL object-namely a firearm.

I should ask St. Gabriel Possenti to pray for me and make sure that my Walther P1 gets shipped to my FFL in one piece, and in the condition described. :thumbsup:

As to the original question, I would bet for sure that the old Latin blessing book would have one because my local FSSP priest was telling us about blessings for things and he had mentioned such a blessing.
[/quote]

I’m sure there must be blessings for swords and other weapons. As a martial artist, I wonder if I could get my hands and feet blessed.

I never thought about having my rifle blessed before heading into the woods for deer season.I wonder what my Paster would say?I ll take all the help I can get :smiley: .

I dont know if this counts or not. I was watching a documentary about the civil unrest in the 60’s and 70’s. The Black Panthers had this really cool chant, it went like this. "The revolutions beguuhn , time to get tha guuhns!

Perhaps you could just sing this really cool song over the guns. I dont know if it counts for A blessing or not.

I think I’m going to try it on my 12 gauge.

[quote=QUICUMQUE VULT]I dont know if this counts or not. I was watching a documentary about the civil unrest in the 60’s and 70’s. The Black Panthers had this really cool chant, it went like this. "The revolutions beguuhn , time to get tha guuhns!

Perhaps you could just sing this really cool song over the guns. I dont know if it counts for A blessing or not.

[/quote]

:smiley:

There is no specific blessing prayer for guns in the Book of Blessings (Liturigical Press, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8).

The judgement could be made that such a blessing is inappropriate. The last chapter of the Book of Blessings is “Order for a Blessing to be used in Various Circumstances”. Its introduction includes on page 755:

“1985 The present order is in no sense meant to violate principles concerning blessings; it is not fitting to turn every object or situation into an occasion for celebrating a blessing (for example, every monument erected no matter what its theme, the installation of military weapons, frivolous events). Rather every celebration must be considered with balanced pastoral judgment, particularly when there is any foreseeable danger of shocking the faithful or other people.”

The General Introduction to the Book of Blessings has: “13. … At all times and in every situation, then, the faithful have an occasion for praising God through Christ in the Holy Spirit, for calling on divine help, and for giving thanks in all things, provided there is nothing that conflicts with the letter and spirit of the Gospel. Therefore every celebration of a blessing must be weighed beforehand with pastoral prudence, particularly if there is any danger of shocking the faithful or other persons.”

On the other hand, guns could be blessed if they were part of work. Chapter 24 has the “Order for the Blessings of Tools or Other Equipment for Work”. The introduction includes: “919 It is appropriate to bless tools or even larger implements or equipment (for example, trucks, tractors, fishing boats) that people use in their work. … 920. The celebration of this blessing has reference not so much to the objects but to the people who will use them in their work. Therefore the blessing is not to be celebrated without their presence or at least the presence of representatives.”

If the guns were to be used in sport there does not seem to be a specific blessing of the equipment (unless they were regarded as tools as above). But there is a blessing for an Atheletic Event (an adaptation for the USA) and for a gymnasium or a field for athletics.

John

What if you intended to give the harvest to your Parishes food pantry?I have been thinking about getting two tags next year and trying to shoot a deer to donate and feed the needy.I butcher myself and it would be a large cooler filled with steaks&ground meat wrapped in butcher paper.Once you unwrap it,it looks just like what you get at the groccery store.I could really feed a lot of folks,for the $15.00 dollars that it costs,for a deer tag in my state…Would my rifle then be a tool?Just wondering,God Bless.

Frank

By the way,even if it is considered a tool,I don’t think I would bring it to Church.Just asking for conversation sake.

Seems if Father can bless a golf club, he can bless a hunting rifle. Maybe he can throw in something about safety for the user and any human the user encounters in the operation of his or her rifle. I bet priests in Wisconsin get this all the time in deer season.

While I can not be 100% certain, I believe that there is no specific blessing for guns. Our parish blesses just about everything. At the beginning of the year, they go from home to home doing an annual house blessing. During Holy Week they do an Easter Basket Food Blessing. At the start of summer, they do a car blessing. In the Fall, they do a Pet blessing. Etc.

Our Pastor is a avid hunter and often carries a CCW under his garments, if there was a specific blessing for firearms, I’m pretty sure he would be performing it with the other annual blessings.

[quote=Kielbasi]I don’t know, but I do know that gun rights groups have lobbied the Vatican to name St. Gabriel Possenti as the patron saint of handguns.

gunsaint.com/default.asp
[/quote]

Yep, I’ve got his badge embossed on the holster of my ‘carry’ pistol.

http://www.digitalfog.com/gallery/nuns1.jpg

Saint Gaberial Possenti … PRAY FOR US NOW!

Why would anyone bless a gun? :confused:

[quote=QUICUMQUE VULT]I dont know if this counts or not. I was watching a documentary about the civil unrest in the 60’s and 70’s. The Black Panthers had this really cool chant, it went like this. "The revolutions beguuhn , time to get tha guuhns!

[/quote]

I love it. I think that men should have a warm, intimate relationship with their firearms. Showing loyalty and enthusiasm through chanting is a good idea.

[quote=John Lilburne]There is no specific blessing prayer for guns in the Book of Blessings (Liturigical Press, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8).

The judgement could be made that such a blessing is inappropriate. The last chapter of the Book of Blessings is “Order for a Blessing to be used in Various Circumstances”. Its introduction includes on page 755:

“1985 The present order is in no sense meant to violate principles concerning blessings; it is not fitting to turn every object or situation into an occasion for celebrating a blessing (for example, every monument erected no matter what its theme, the installation of military weapons, frivolous events). Rather every celebration must be considered with balanced pastoral judgment, particularly when there is any foreseeable danger of shocking the faithful or other people.”

The General Introduction to the Book of Blessings has: “13. … At all times and in every situation, then, the faithful have an occasion for praising God through Christ in the Holy Spirit, for calling on divine help, and for giving thanks in all things, provided there is nothing that conflicts with the letter and spirit of the Gospel. Therefore every celebration of a blessing must be weighed beforehand with pastoral prudence, particularly if there is any danger of shocking the faithful or other persons.”

On the other hand, guns could be blessed if they were part of work. Chapter 24 has the “Order for the Blessings of Tools or Other Equipment for Work”. The introduction includes: “919 It is appropriate to bless tools or even larger implements or equipment (for example, trucks, tractors, fishing boats) that people use in their work. … 920. The celebration of this blessing has reference not so much to the objects but to the people who will use them in their work. Therefore the blessing is not to be celebrated without their presence or at least the presence of representatives.”

If the guns were to be used in sport there does not seem to be a specific blessing of the equipment (unless they were regarded as tools as above). But there is a blessing for an Atheletic Event (an adaptation for the USA) and for a gymnasium or a field for athletics.
[/quote]

What is wrong with blessing military weapons? In the Divine Liturgy, we pray for our nation’s victory over its enemies.

[quote=dhgray]http://www.digitalfog.com/gallery/nuns1.jpg

Saint Gaberial Possenti … PRAY FOR US NOW!
[/quote]

I think I’m going to download this picture and frame it. Totally awesome!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.