blessings or success.

Hey not sure if this is the right spot for this post.
Been a while since I put something pessimistic down.
But I’m starting to learn in life that I don’t think God cares to micro manage your intentions in this life, and that thinking your going to get help or blessing or thinking that God will make things work for you have you lived righteous leads to catastrophic failure. I’ve started more so in the mind set of pushing myself harder for a better chance at success that confides to live a decent life with out breaking commandments.
I think success comes from hard work not God, I think that it is an illusion to say that God will bless you with what you need to have a semi stable productive life if you trust in him. After all, his own favorite people; who he likes more then everyone else, where slaves at one time, then ruled under the thumb of the Romans at another time. what does that tell you ?
I think if you want to win you have to be willing to give your health and life, there is no way around it.

God cares about your eternal fate much more than your earthly fate. The fact is that success (measured by wealth or power or fame) brings a great temptation to become of the world and not just in the world. Catholicism, unlike certain branches of Protestantism, recognizes that success is not a sign of being in favor with God, nor is lack of success a sign of being out of God's favor.

Remember too that you cannot serve two masters. You can work to be successful in life, but don't let that effort become your master.

[quote="snarflemike, post:2, topic:288288"]
God cares about your eternal fate much more than your earthly fate. The fact is that success (measured by wealth or power or fame) brings a great temptation to become of the world and not just in the world. Catholicism, unlike certain branches of Protestantism, recognizes that success is not a sign of being in favor with God, nor is lack of success a sign of being out of God's favor.

Remember too that you cannot serve two masters. You can work to be successful in life, but don't let that effort become your master.

[/quote]

True, remember the Lord says blessed are the poor, the kingdom shall be theirs and he says that it is very hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God as well. The teachings show that we need to keep the commandment to have God #1 in our life. A rich man even asked the Christ "what must I do to be saved?" and Christ answered "keep the commandments". To do that we must believe in him too....

I am curious about others thoughts on this as well "I think success comes from hard work not God, I think that it is an illusion to say that God will bless you with what you need to have a semi stable productive life if you trust in him"
God allows those who reject Him and adore Him blessings in this life for the greater of the good.

God is more interested in your character formation that making you a successful person. By success i define it in terms of material prosperity,career,,finances,intelligence and street smarts.

The be successful in the world you have to have work hard, but to get higher you have have to be a little confident to the point of arrogance, be able to manipulate people, lie and cheat very subtly to suit your own self interests and also have some degree of luck(being in the right place and the right time).. It's a fallen world because of sin and hence the rules for wordily success do not necessarily align with God's ways.

Lets be honest, if you are a very nice, considerate, caring and charitable person, you will be taken advantage of. If you think less of your own interests and more of others, if you put family first instead of career you will be left behind.

If you are a nice caring gentleman..you will not get the girl first...these are the unwritten laws of the world.

However, God does not forsake us..he gives us the desires of our hear..so yes God will help you get a job to meet your finances and help you find your partner..but God only gives what you need..just because you serve him it will not equate to material prosperity.

There is one thing though- you will be a much more happier person serving God..because study after study proves that..serving a cause greater than yourself is the only way to true happiness..

Hope that helps...

[quote="snarflemike, post:2, topic:288288"]

[/quote]

That's such a good comment. I've read an opinion that protestantism gave way to the original free unregulated industry capitalism; as a means to measure one's favor by God through monetary success. But I think being successful is just having a stable productive life. Where you can live and take care of yourself afford a family, wife ect. ect.

What brings it to me is that, I have some friends who breeze through life and school who claim their success around prayer and blessings. I personally think that's a sham. I think we are on our own for the most part. 

Is it wrong to work yourself to illness; or near death , exhaustion, ect. if God hasn't given you what he gives many others in terms of stable learning environments, academic resources, social connections, or talent to succeed.

I for one have found my personal relationship with the almighty at a further distance now, knowing that I don't have the interconnection to be blessed with more stability through Christ or the heavenly father. I personally would rather be dead  try to raise a family on a 10.00 an hour job.  I've come to learn to use my body as a machine and vehicle to accomplish my goals

One thing I admire about God when he designed the human body , he didn't do a half effort job.

[quote="JSAD, post:5, topic:288288"]
God is more interested in your character formation that making you a successful person. By success i define it in terms of material prosperity,career,,finances,intelligence and street smarts.

The be successful in the world you have to have work hard, but to get higher you have have to be a little confident to the point of arrogance, be able to manipulate people, lie and cheat very subtly to suit your own self interests and also have some degree of luck(being in the right place and the right time).. It's a fallen world because of sin and hence the rules for wordily success do not necessarily align with God's ways.

Lets be honest, if you are a very nice, considerate, caring and charitable person, you will be taken advantage of. If you think less of your own interests and more of others, if you put family first instead of career you will be left behind.

If you are a nice caring gentleman..you will not get the girl first...these are the unwritten laws of the world.

However, God does not forsake us..he gives us the desires of our hear..so yes God will help you get a job to meet your finances and help you find your partner..but God only gives what you need..just because you serve him it will not equate to material prosperity.

There is one thing though- you will be a much more happier person serving God..because study after study proves that..serving a cause greater than yourself is the only way to true happiness..

Hope that helps...

[/quote]

Well, on the surface, sometimes this looks like it's what going on. But the people who have given their all to the rat race start turning into rats themselves.

What do you define as "success?"

A long time ago I realized I can only eat one chicken a day. I learned to be content with the concept of "enough." And I lived my first career in the entertainment field, in the world of a large professional ballet company. The competition could be cutthroat, and I recall that one dancer was arrested after she had put broken shards of glass in the ballet shoes of another dancer.

Sure, someone can lower themselves to the nastiest tactics going, step on the shoulders of colleagues, treat family and friends like mere appendages, but I doubt such a one would be happy, even in this life. The winds of fortune are changeable, and there's an old saying in business: "Be nice to people on your way up, because you'll need them on your way down." And family and friends are like teeth: If you don't take care of them they will go away.

Most importantly there is the word of Jesus Himself: "What does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his soul?"

You pays your money, and you takes your pick.

[quote="Jessup, post:6, topic:288288"]
That's such a good comment. I've read an opinion that protestantism gave way to the original free unregulated industry capitalism; as a means to measure one's favor by God through monetary success. But I think being successful is just having a stable productive life. Where you can live and take care of yourself afford a family, wife ect. ect.

What brings it to me is that, I have some friends who breeze through life and school who claim their success around prayer and blessings. I personally think that's a sham. I think we are on our own for the most part. 

[/quote]

You need to distinguish between God granting you success, and God granting you the grace to handle your situation in life, whatever it may be, and to live a holy life in that situation. Catholicism doesn't teach the first, but it does teach the second.

Is it wrong to work yourself to illness; or near death , exhaustion, ect. if God hasn't given you what he gives many others in terms of stable learning environments, academic resources, social connections, or talent to succeed.

It is wrong, physically and mentally and spiritually unhealthy, to do anything in excess.

I for one have found my personal relationship with the almighty at a further distance now, knowing that I don't have the interconnection to be blessed with more stability through Christ or the heavenly father. I personally would rather be dead  try to raise a family on a 10.00 an hour job.  I've come to learn to use my body as a machine and vehicle to accomplish my goals

Why would you let your relationship with God wither? You'll only be on this earth for a few score years. You'll be in the afterlife forever. Besides, if you're looking for success, isn't the ultimate success to be with God forever? And to help lead your family there as well?

One thing I admire about God when he designed the human body , he didn't do a half effort job.

Imagine how much better the glorified version will be. Maybe then the appendix will have a real job. :)

Do children and good marriages fall under "worldly success" or "blessing"? If you don't have them, is it because you are being punished or others are just being blessed more? Before anyone says I don't think children are a blessing, I do think they are. But some aren't given any despite being open and trying to follow Jesus.

[quote="odile53, post:7, topic:288288"]
Well, on the surface, sometimes this looks like it's what going on. But the people who have given their all to the rat race start turning into rats themselves.

What do you define as "success?"

A long time ago I realized I can only eat one chicken a day. I learned to be content with the concept of "enough." And I lived my first career in the entertainment field, in the world of a large professional ballet company. The competition could be cutthroat, and I recall that one dancer was arrested after she had put broken shards of glass in the ballet shoes of another dancer.

Sure, someone can lower themselves to the nastiest tactics going, step on the shoulders of colleagues, treat family and friends like mere appendages, but I doubt such a one would be happy, even in this life. The winds of fortune are changeable, and there's an old saying in business: "Be nice to people on your way up, because you'll need them on your way down." And family and friends are like teeth: If you don't take care of them they will go away.

Most importantly there is the word of Jesus Himself: "What does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his soul?"

You pays your money, and you takes your pick.

[/quote]

I can't say I condone what the woman did to the other woman's ballet shoes. But I think that drives the point home. Certain people are given more then others, and others will do with out. Why be second class? why settle for nothing,? Why should I have integrity to succeed through not cheating or lying. If I want a wife, a job, and a car that doesn't break down every 1000 miles then there are stipulations to getting that. You have to be competitive and do what ever it takes. If it means taking Dinabol in the gym, or Adderall in the class room it doesn't matter. I feel I've now learned the hard way in my life, that I'm turning 33.
Everyone wants a champion, I think i've come to the point now where I think Jesus Christ was a liar. Because God doesn't provide for you what you need you have to take it.
I honestly had more faith when I was a young man trying to push God out of my life rather then embrace him.

Thanks for the responses :thumbsup::o

[quote="Jessup, post:10, topic:288288"]

Certain people are given more then others, and others will do with out. Why be second class? why settle for nothing,? Why should I have integrity to succeed through not cheating or lying. If I want a wife, a job, and a car that doesn't break down every 1000 miles then there are stipulations to getting that. You have to be competitive and do what ever it takes. If it means taking Dinabol in the gym, or Adderall in the class room it doesn't matter. I feel I've now learned the hard way in my life, that I'm turning 33.
Everyone wants a champion, I think i've come to the point now where I think Jesus Christ was a liar. Because God doesn't provide for you what you need you have to take it.

[/quote]

33, that's the age Jesus was when He was crucified.

[quote="littlenothing, post:9, topic:288288"]
Do children and good marriages fall under "worldly success" or "blessing"? If you don't have them, is it because you are being punished or others are just being blessed more? Before anyone says I don't think children are a blessing, I do think they are. But some aren't given any despite being open and trying to follow Jesus.

[/quote]

For what it is worth, I do

[quote="Fan_of_Francis, post:12, topic:288288"]
For what it is worth, I do

[/quote]

You do what? Think children are blessings? If that's what you were saying, yes I agree. I was allowing another thread to bleed into this discussion, that's where that came from. Sorry bout that!

[quote="littlenothing, post:13, topic:288288"]
You do what? Think children are blessings? If that's what you were saying, yes I agree. I was allowing another thread to bleed into this discussion, that's where that came from. Sorry bout that!

[/quote]

I'm the OP and I say let it bleed all you want; I'm just rambling on here
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="Jessup, post:14, topic:288288"]
I'm the OP and I say let it bleed all you want; I'm just rambling on here
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

[/quote]

Well then I just will! Maybe this will draw eye rolls, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere, so im asking.

If children are blessings, and Catholics are supposed to be open to life, what do you say to the childless or those who have only one? I have spoken to several friends inand the samefull boat about this, and they pretty unanimously feel cursed or that blessings go to some, but are withheld from them.

There are plenty of Biblical women who felt this way too. So this seems like an instance in which "success" is highly dependent on God. Worldly things we can easily say were due, at least in part, to hard work or a trust fund or the lottery or what have you.

But what about children? Why does He leave some barren but bless others abundantly?

I know. Don't question God.

Sorry for all the auto text issues. I phones have minds of their own.

[quote="littlenothing, post:15, topic:288288"]
Well then I just will! Maybe this will draw eye rolls, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere, so im asking.

If children are blessings, and Catholics are supposed to be open to life, what do you say to the childless or those who have only one? I have spoken to several friends inand the samefull boat about this, and they pretty unanimously feel cursed or that blessings go to some, but are withheld from them.

There are plenty of Biblical women who felt this way too. So this seems like an instance in which "success" is highly dependent on God. Worldly things we can easily say were due, at least in part, to hard work or a trust fund or the lottery or what have you.

But what about children? Why does He leave some barren but bless others abundantly?

[/quote]

si capiche too

[quote="littlenothing, post:15, topic:288288"]

[/quote]

In principle, children and marriages are blessings because they are products of the Sacrament Matrimony. Marriage couples are called to be fruitful and multiply. Children are new lives which are gifts from God.

There are definite roles for husbands and wives in Christian marriages and these are responsibilities which they are accountable for. They can take on the responsibilities diligently or they can abdicate them. The outcome of marriage relationship and how children raised and grew up very much depends on being faithful to the responsibility respectively. As long we are faithful to our responsibility in a marriage, we are faithful to God’s commandment and blessing will arise out of it.

There are couples who are unable to have children. Unfortunately the examples we have, especially in the Old Testaments, childlessness was a result of punishment. Thus we can say that being unable to have children is like being cursed. But not all it was like that though. Sometimes it happened so that God’s glory can be demonstrated and seen. That was true for Sarah, Abraham’s wife and Elizabeth, Zechariah’s wife.

In short, when we entrust our marriage to God, marriage being His Sacrament, whether we are graced with many children or not at all, God will still has a plan for us.

Having children does not necessarily mean they will bring you happiness. They did
not for King David. Thus, it is always good to trust God that He will be the Lord of our marriages and He will bless them. For our part, we just need to carry out our roles faithfully.

God bless.

[quote="littlenothing, post:13, topic:288288"]

[/quote]

Sorry,:blush:,
I do believe children are a blessing.

Jessup,
I just found this reply from 1Ke from the thread:

Re: 26-year-old Career-Driven Woman: Are my priorities right?

1Ke replied "Well, the answer is maybe and maybe not.

Only you can answer the questions you posed. Is your career focus taking you away from a God-centered life? Is your career focus moving you farther away from marriage and family? Creating barriers to the Faith? Or is it creating opportunities for the Faith?

Something is bothering you, or else you would not have posted the thread. What is really bothering you?"

I applied it to your/my question. I got my answer from this. I do hope it helps you too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.