blessings?

ok so tonight i did get some holy water from my priest. i am not officially Catholic yet. can i bless my room? how? does my priest have to do this? i got the holy water because of my terrible nightmares (i keep getting dreams about demonic possesion). i only get the dreams in this room…what can i do? if i cant bless my room. what should i use it for?

You can use the holy water to sprinkle your room and your bed. But mostly, I would use it to bless yourself with the sign of the cross every night before you go to bed.

Sweet Dreams!

:signofcross: :yawn: :sleep: :heart:

[quote="babs57, post:2, topic:301012"]
You can use the holy water to sprinkle your room and your bed. But mostly, I would use it to bless yourself with the sign of the cross every night before you go to bed.

Sweet Dreams!

:signofcross: :yawn: :sleep: :heart:

[/quote]

i sprinkled my room, bed etc. but while i did i was saying Our Fathers. and was asking God to protect us form evil etc. did i do something wrong?i also rebuked evil in the name of Jesus. this was ok right? sorry if it wasnt i didnt have full knowledge?? :(

It sounds like you did just fine. It’s your faith in God and his love that will protect you.

Sometimes I sprinkle holy water on my threshold while asking for God’s blessing & grace on my house and the people in it. And always use the holy water on yourself also. Dip your finger in it and make the sign of the cross, saying “In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen”

you can use the holy water to bless your room, it's blessed itself, so no matter who uses it, it will bless.
i would also suggest, if you're able, get a Saint Benedict medal, which you can get just as a medal, or you can get it in a cross, and then ask your priest if he can do the actual Saint Benedict blessing on it, not just a regular blessing, and then keep it in your room, or even hold it while you sleep.
you can get the medal here, and also read what it's all about - olrl.org/sacramental/benedictmedal.shtml
this is the cross i have - catholicstore.com/8-22BlackWoodSt.aspx
but there are cheaper ones if that's too expensive...i actually got mine for $20, but the price has since gone up.

you can also pray for help with your bad dreams, ask your Guardian Angel to watch over you when you sleep and protect you from bad dreams, or pray for the Holy Souls in Purgatory, say some Hail Mary's for them, or say the St. Gertrude prayer, which is said to release 1,000 souls from Purgatory each time it is said - "Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the Universal Church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." and ask them to pray for you in return.
and of course Our Blessed Mother is always best to go too, ask her to spread her mantel over you before you go to sleep, and ask her to send her angels down to watch over you.

after moving into my new house a couple years ago, i was all of a sudden having rather frightening dreams, even waking up to feeling like i was being pulled off my bed...i honestly can't say what it really was, but after i finally got around to getting my house blessed, the bad dreams stopped, and i had much more peaceful nights...so perhaps, if you haven't already done it, that might be what you need.

alright, so i hope this helps, take care.

To bless your room, just dip your fingers in the holy water and sprinkle it liberally all over.
Say a prayer out loud as you do this. You may make up your own. “please dear Jesus, have your holy angels watch over this room and drive away all that is not worthy of you. Keep me close to you especially when I am asleep, and set your archangels to watch over me. I bless this room in the holy name of Jesus. Amen”.

You may also want to get a green scapular and wear it an night after having it blessed. The following is a story of one man who did this who was having bad dreams.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=690740&page=3

“…Dreams of demons holding me down while i slept and trying to strangle me. Horrid stuff.”…“Also, i’ve never suffered from those terrifying dreams while i slept with me scapulars on. I have a green one and a blue/black St Michael one. They 're a bit grotty after never taking them off but i reckon its worth it.”

You may obtain a free green scapular by googling “green scapular.”

Mary appeared and spoke with Sister Justine Bisqueyburu, a
Daughter of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, in 1840, about the green scapular.

Mary herself made promises to those who would keep the scapular on them, and would say a certain prayer everyday, and believe that Mary would obtain those favors from her Son. Here are the favors she promised:

1. Conversion of those who do not have the faith
  2. Reconciliation to the Church for those who have lost/strayed from the faith
  3. Assurance of a happy death
  4. Strengthening of the faith for those already in the Church
  5. Protection from Satan for those who wear or promote the scapular<<<===============

This is the very answer to your need. But on your part you must pray, at least daily: “Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.”

Hi, Meagan! So glad to learn that you are taking positive steps so quickly. You sound a bit more chipper today, so that's a plus, too.

If money is an issue, you might ask the priest if there might be a crucifix that the church/school is not using, that you might use in your room.

If you haven't access to an actual crucifix, look for a picture. Also, you can fashion a cross with your own two hands and leather (such as shoe strings) or twine from twigs, or you can cut one from plywood and carve the outlines you want.

Sometimes thrift shops such as Good Will will have crucifixes, statues, etc., usually inside a glass counter or well behind the cash register so that you can see but not touch.

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen.

Dear Lord, keep our Maegan safe and help her to resolve her problems with your Divine Love. Amen.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirt, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

[quote="EmeraldWings, post:5, topic:301012"]
you can use the holy water to bless your room, it's blessed itself, so no matter who uses it, it will bless.
i would also suggest,** if you're able, get a Saint Benedict medal, which you can get just as a medal, or you can get it in a cross, and then ask your priest if he can do the actual Saint Benedict blessing on it, not just a regular blessing, **and then keep it in your room, or even hold it while you sleep.
you can get the medal here, and also read what it's all about - olrl.org/sacramental/benedictmedal.shtml
this is the cross i have - catholicstore.com/8-22BlackWoodSt.aspx
but there are cheaper ones if that's too expensive...i actually got mine for $20, but the price has since gone up.

you can also pray for help with your bad dreams, ask your Guardian Angel to watch over you when you sleep and protect you from bad dreams, or pray for the Holy Souls in Purgatory, say some Hail Mary's for them, or say the St. Gertrude prayer, which is said to release 1,000 souls from Purgatory each time it is said - "Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the Universal Church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." and ask them to pray for you in return.
and of course Our Blessed Mother is always best to go too, ask her to spread her mantel over you before you go to sleep, and ask her to send her angels down to watch over you.

after moving into my new house a couple years ago, i was all of a sudden having rather frightening dreams, even waking up to feeling like i was being pulled off my bed...i honestly can't say what it really was, but after i finally got around to getting my house blessed, the bad dreams stopped, and i had much more peaceful nights...so perhaps, if you haven't already done it, that might be what you need.

alright, so i hope this helps, take care.

[/quote]

This. I keep a Saint Benedict's medal (set in an olive wood crucifix) around my neck at all times. I never have problems with it on, and I do have bad dreams with it off.

So did the blessing help with your dreams?

[quote="Inego_de_Loyola, post:9, topic:301012"]
So did the blessing help with your dreams?

[/quote]

thanks for your reply, and i blessed my room and bless my self every night with holy water. well the night of the blessing i had a terrifying nightmare (about a possessed girl who people were trying to exorcise) well i woke up from the dream and had absolutely no fear. i usually soring up in bed and cant breathe for a few seconds sfter these dreams, but after this one i had no fear and barely remembered it. and after that (all the other nights after the blessing) no bad dreams at all :)))

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:10, topic:301012"]
thanks for your reply, and i blessed my room and bless my self every night with holy water. well the night of the blessing i had a terrifying nightmare (about a possessed girl who people were trying to exorcise) well i woke up from the dream and had absolutely no fear. i usually soring up in bed and cant breathe for a few seconds sfter these dreams, but after this one i had no fear and barely remembered it. and after that (all the other nights after the blessing) no bad dreams at all :)))

[/quote]

So happy for you. I will continue to pray for peaceful nights for you!

[quote="babs57, post:11, topic:301012"]
So happy for you. I will continue to pray for peaceful nights for you!

[/quote]

thank you :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.