Blind Faith?

I follow the financial/economic news extensively every day and I'm convinced that the world is headed for some kind of major economic "reset". The short explanation is that debt levels around the world are mathematically unsustainable and eventually something BIG is almost guaranteed to happen. I don't pretend to know the future so I can't say exactly what will happen, but I've decided to prepare my family for the worst by shifting some of our assets to precious metals, storing some emergency supplies and most importantly by strengthening our relationship with the Church. Someday soon we will need our faith to get through very difficult times.

My question comes from trying to explain to loved-ones what I believe will happen. A lot of people have responded with something like, "No need to prepare. I trust Jesus, he will take care of me." I never argue with them, and I certainly don't dispute that Jesus will take care of all who believe in Him by granting them a place in heaven. But I don't believe Jesus ever promised to prevent our economy from imploding or to keep people from suffering here on Earth. In fact, didn't He promise the opposite - that people who follow Him will most likely suffer?

So how should I respond to these statements of blind faith? I don't think the friends and family I'm talking to are thinking of heaven when they say the have faith things will be ok...the impression I get is they don't think Jesus will let them suffer here on Earth. Or am I guilty of not having enough faith myself, since I see a disaster coming and choose to prepare for it?

Having faith doesn't mean being unprepared for bad times does it?

[quote="mgoforth, post:1, topic:248086"]

Having faith doesn't mean being unprepared for bad times does it?

[/quote]

No, not in the least... but it also doesn't mean you spend your life fraught with worry and panic over the inevitable.
Personally, I can't handle watching the news about all the "doom and gloom"... it panics me and distracts me from actually LIVING my life. My job is to take care of my family in the here and now, and some of that includes preparing for practical scenarios, and some of that includes PRAYING for protection, in whatever way God can grant it.

Matthew 6:25-34...

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat (or drink), or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?

Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they?

Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?

Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin.

But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them.

If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?

So do not worry and say, 'What are we to eat?' or 'What are we to drink?' or 'What are we to wear?'

All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.

But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides.

Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil.

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:2, topic:248086"]
Personally, I can't handle watching the news about all the "doom and gloom"... it panics me and distracts me from actually LIVING my life.

[/quote]

Thank you for the reply. To be perfectly honest, it does tend to consume my life if I let it. Are you advocating "live for today and let tomorrow take care of itself", or do you think there's a middle ground somewhere? How would I find that middle ground? My interpretation of the verses you included says we should do what we can and leave the rest to God. Is that your interpretation also?

The thing is, there's PLENTY I can do to prepare my family for hard times, so where do I stop? When it goes from preparing to obsessing maybe? I'm not sure...it's something I think about a lot.

Thanks again for the help.

I believe there HAS to be a middle ground. Living for today alone wouldn't be prudent in the least!
I wish there was an easy way to define "middle ground" other than not becoming obsessed in either direction... but there are no hard and fast rules for how to do that.
Believe me, I understand your mentality... my husband and I are both engineers, we're logical-minded creatures and like to plan to the best of our abilities. But at some point there becomes a need to just "let it go" and find that balance. I think it requires a lot of prayer to maintain stability.

Thanks, I think I agree with finding a middle ground. It’s so much harder as a parent of young children…if it was just myself I don’t think I would worry nearly as much. You’re right about prayer though, and that’s something I need to do more of.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.