Blocking another user

Is that option still available? Was very easy before. Saves arguments.

This new platform does not have an “Ignore” feature like the old forum platform did.

This forum allows you to “mute” someone, where you won’t notice a reply from them or a response when they bring something to your attention through using the “at” feature.

Otherwise, you’ll still see their posts on the forum.

How do I cancel my account? Im done.

I don’t know that there’s a way to do it.

I would contact the Webmaster if you have any questions.

You can reach the forum webmaster by contacting him/her through their PM mail
@cawebmaster.

Editing my post to add, just click on their name, and it will bring up their profile, and you’ll see their blue PM mailbox all the way over to the right side of the page, if you want to contact them by sending a PM to them.

I am sad to hear this.

How does one mute another user?

Under notifications, go to user (muted) and type the name of user and save changes.

The Holy Spirit is right.

You go to the Notifications section in order to “Mute” someone.

To get there, click on your Username icon in the upper-right hand corner of your screen.

Then click on the gear icon that you see right underneath it.

Look to the left-hand side of your screen. You’ll see a row of active links from top to bottom that you can click on. You’ll see one that says “Notifications.” Click on that one.

Type in the name of the user that you want to mute in the box that is provided.

When you mute someone, you’ll still be able to see their posts on the forum.

What muting does is make it so that you won’t be notified of any replies that they make to you in a thread, or any “at” responses either, but otherwise, you’ll still see their responses in forum threads and posts.

Anyway, put their name in the mute box, and then click on the blue “Save changes” box.

Thanks for making not feel quite so old

God Bless you

Partick

Hi Patrick,

You’re fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s not that easy trying to navigate any new software…

There’s always a learning curve to it. It just takes a bit of time, trying to poke at it and click on things…

It takes me awhile to figure all of this out too, and I’m still learning how this new platform works, too.

God bless you! :slightly_smiling_face:

We’re all in this together! :grinning:

That’s the part I’d like to see changed. There are certain posters I’d like to ignore the way I used to be able to do.

Adding my voice to the chorus saying I would dearly love some kind of block or ignore feature where I did not have to see posts by a user. There are a tiny handful of people on here whose posts go beyond just “difference of opinion” and into “toxic” and possibly “disturbed”. I have no idea why they are permitted to continue, but it would be good to at least not have to read posts wishing violence and punishment upon others.

There is no place to type in anyone’s name in the Notifications area. It is just a list of notifications and other options. But, none to mute anyone.

No, we cant block users, or ignore them.

Best to stick to forum rules, and ask the mods for a final ruling. And this is why we flag.

I agree wholeheartedly. In addition, the ignore function should be where the person one ignores can no longer see your posts. Otherwise the problematic person can be saying things inappropriate “behind your back” as it were with no way for us to respond or to flag.

This is how ignore works in most places, including google+ and facebook.

Hi @BroIgnatius,

In the Notifications section all of the way at the bottom of the section, you’ll see a small section that says, “Users.”

In that particular section, there is a small field box there that you can fill in/type in to “Mute” either a particular username/s or a Category/ies.

You can type a username in there, or you can mute/type a Category name in there, if you don’t want to look at a particular category, either.

You can type the name in there, and then click on the blue “Save Changes” button when you’re done.

When you mute a username, you’ll still see their posts/comments on the forum, but you won’t see any personal reply notifications from them up by your profile icon, nor will you see any “at” notifications from them either, there.

God bless you!:slightly_smiling_face:

Ah I see it. It is not under Preferences >> Notifications, It is rather under Preferences >> Preferences (in red), THEN under Notifications.

Hi,

I’m glad you found it. :slightly_smiling_face:

The other way that you can “Mute” or change your “Tracking” or “Watching” selections etc., is to do it right below your Reply box/es.

You’ll see the button that says, “Tracking, Watching, Normal, etc.”

You can click on it and it will change it right there for the Category that you’re in.

What can be so confusing on this forum, is that there is usually more than one way to do the same thing, or get to the same area. :wink:

We cant block, we cant ignore,
We dont have that function.
We can only mute.

Mute means we no longer get notifications of a topic .

We run on discourse rules and the discourse way of community building

Discourse designers decided not to create an ignore button although members have asked for an ignore button numerous times since Discourse was established.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.