Blogodoxy

DO any of you guys know about blogodoxy.com, the online dialogue between Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism? (Or at least between some EOs and Catholics) I was reaing there today, and was very offended. One of the EOs offered a defense of his using the word “heretic” to describe the pope. He even offered some ancient Christian sources against the Filioque clause.

My question is this: is filioque tenable? Are we in the wrong here? His sources seem so adamant about it. I suppose I’m overwhelmed by the zeal the have about the issue more than anything else. Still though, it makes me feel uneasy. Are we Catholics heretics?

There is something about filoque in the Catholic Answer’s Tract library.

[quote=JP2ImissU]There is something about filoque in the Catholic Answer’s Tract library.
[/quote]

Do you have the link? I went there and did a search for “filioque” but it came up blank.

catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0304frs.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1998/9810frs.asp
catholic.com/library/filioque.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9312frs.asp
catholic.com/library/eastern_orthodoxy.asp

some duplicates, but this should be a good start…

[quote=RyanL]catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0304frs.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1998/9810frs.asp
catholic.com/library/filioque.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9312frs.asp
catholic.com/library/eastern_orthodoxy.asp

some duplicates, but this should be a good start…
[/quote]

Thanks. I have to say this is the sort of thing that makes my eyes cross.

At the risk of sounding irreverent, does it really matter if we believe the Spirit proceeds from the Father or from the Father through the Son? This controversy harldy sounds like it’s on the same level as, say, denying Christ’s divinity or the Real Presence or something like that.

At the risk of sounding irreverent, does it really matter if we believe the Spirit proceeds from the Father or from the Father through the Son? This controversy harldy sounds like it’s on the same level as, say, denying Christ’s divinity or the Real Presence or something like that.

That’s what Catholics say, but the Orthodox disagree. It matters insofar as reunion with the Orthodox is concerned, but it doesn’t matter at ALL within the Catholic Church; we allow both conceptions. The Eastern Catholics are not required to accept the filioque, and never have been, to my knowledge.

Interestingly, the filioque existed in the Western Church even before the Great Schism, so the fact that it’s such an issue now is weird to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.