Blood and Water

In the old testament it is referenced (I heard) that from the side of the temple would flow blood and water. Then in the new testament it is referenced that blood and water flowed from the side of Jesus at the crucifixion.
Why the reference to water? Is it because the human body is mostly made up of water? Water is a part of everything in our bodies, including blood, right? I can understand blood being mentioned but am confused as to why water. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Blessings.

The centurion took his spear and pierced his heart and water came out. When a person dies, water collects in one of the cavities of the heart. By piercing this, water came out, which proved that Jesus was dead. Of course, if he hadn’t been dead, the piercing of his heart would certainly have made it so.

Blood is a sign of Jesus’ passion and suffering for us and therefore atonement. Water is a sign of cleansing us from sin thru baptism. We are cleansed (water of baptism) of our sins by the passion (blood) which makes baptism effective. Our salvation has been obtained and made available.

Thank you Fred for your response and information. After reading your post I found I had other questions. I landed on a website that clarified some things for me so I’m better understanding this part of the crucifixion. If you’re interested the site is frugalsites.net/jesus/death.htm. Thank you again for the help-Blessings.

Here is a webpage that is quite good as well.

catholicexchange.com/the-meaning-of-his-piercing

There were 3 temples; in order of time, these were

The material creation,

The Temple itself in Jerusalem,

The human body of our LORD.

As was said earlier, the settling of the blood in a dead body results in “blood and water” coming forth. So the blood and water coming from the temple are a direct reference to the Crucifixion.

Metaphorically, blood also represents life, and water, renewal. Our LORD came to provide renewal of life.

ICXC NIKA

Thank you both for your input and the link. both are very helpful. With gratitude.

I am not aware that the Old Testament speaks of water and blood flowing from the side of the temple. Water flowing from the temple was a theme in the Old Testament, most notably in Ezekiel

Then he brought me back to the door of the temple; and behold, water was issuing from below the threshold of the temple toward the east (for the temple faced east); and the water was flowing down from below the south end of the threshold of the temple, south of the altar. Then he brought me out by way of the north gate, and led me round on the outside to the outer gate, that faces toward the east; and the water was coming out on the south side. (Ezekiel 47:1-2)

There is a belief that the temple was equipped with some type of drainage system for the blood of the sacrifices. Ezekiel 43:13-17 talks about a lip or gutter around the altar which might have been used to catch the blood. A drainage system is not unlikely given the large number of sacrifices, especially at Passover.

I cannot recall, nor could I find however, an Old Testament passage that speaks of blood and water flowing from the side of the Temple. I don’t think it exists. This is why we have to be very skeptical when someone claims that the Bible says this or that. Some people, including some Catholics (:eek:) make some pretty wild claims about what the Bible says.

-Tim-

Thank you Timothy. I was Listening to Fr. or rather Bishop Robert Barron yesterday on ewtn at the Eucharistic congress in Cebu. This is what got me curious about the subject. I believe after reading your post that he mentioned water flowing from the side of the temple(maybe he cited Ezekiel) not blood and water. That was my mistake as I always hear of blood and water at the crucifixion. I hadn’t read my post close enough apparently to catch that. Thank you and blessings to you and yours.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.