"blood of Christ"

What does it mean to your church and to you personally?
When during the mass and you have the “blood of Christ” why are you having it?
What is its purpose/meaning?

Hi Myfavoritemartin,

If it were only a question of having Christ present on the altar, the consecration of the bread would be enough because Christ is wholly present under both species. . However, we consecrate both bread and wine to commemorate the separation of Christ’s blood from his body, that is, his death. By receiving communion under both species we unite ourselves to His sacrifice in a more cogent manner, and this may enhance our spiritual fervor. However, per se, there is no more spiritual benefit than there is for receiving the bread alonel

Verbum

If the blood is Christs death is the bread life?

“The blood of the cross” is the covenant blood of redemption.

To me, personally, it is indescribable. I have shed many tears in gratitude for the miraculous generosity of this saving gift. (I consider that a direct infusion of grace by the Holy Spirit)

We receive the Precious Blood at Mass because Jesus told us to** “do this in remembrance of me”**. (Let’s not get into a discussion of the word “remembrance” – you KNOW it does not mean “recollect in the imagination.”)

Christ’s body and blood are no longer separated. They are not separated in the Eucharist.

We Catholics have the same love and devotion to the Precious Blood of Jesus as the Apostles: Rom. 5:9 “we are justified by His blood”; Heb. 13:12 “and so Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people by His blood, suffered outside the gate”; 1 John 1:7 “and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses us from all sin.”

The consecrated wine is the blood of Christ by which we receive God’s graces. It is the whole of Christ, body and blood, soul and divinity, which is why we worship Christ present in the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar.

The celebration of the Precious Blood of Christ is a universal one in the Church. The whole month of July is often set aside to honor it in our devotional life.

You have gone to where my question is regarding this, thanks.
Your right on with scripture in stating that the blood is the covenant blood of redemption, the resurrection was what was purchased with the blood, we read this in Hebrews 13:20, just wondered how that aligned with your church??

Jesus tells us, emphatically to do this:

John 6:54-56
***"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. ***
**For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. **
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him."

20Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

What do you mean by the question?

We agree with what scripture says about the Blood of Christ, of course, as shown above.

And we believe that the consecrated bread and wine both become substantially the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ.

And we believe in the necessity of eating the flesh and drinking the blood of Christ.

Good questions :slight_smile:

Why do we have it ? Part of the answer is that He withholds nothing from us - not even His Body & Blood. This says a great deal about our need, & even more about His Love. It also shows that God-with-us, really is: not only in a spiritual way, but also in a material way - which suits the fact that we are bodily as well as “soul-ly”: we are both, & are meant to be both - so He gives both. Again, “you are what you eat” - this certainly applies to the Blessed Sacrament.

And what is true for the individual, is equally true for the Church: whether local or universal. Because this is the Church’s food, we have a further encouragement to look forward to the Resurrection: for if our lives ended at burial, why would He be the Manna which is given by His Father ? What is the point in eating His Body & drinking His Blood, if we are not to share for ever in His Risen & Glorious Life ? So the Blessed Sacrament is a reminder that He “has abolished death”, & that death is not - in fact, cannot be - the end. In a world full of death, & constantly reminded of it, & full of fear at the prospect of it, & obsessed with trying to keep it at bay, this is very good news. :smiley:

Just a few thoughts.

He has given us His Body and His Blood so that we may truly become what we eat. Through consuming Him we become one with Him and with each other. This Food is also strength for our pilgrimage to Him as we are formed to more and more closely resemble the One Whom we love.

Hey MfM!

You probably are not familiar with the Anima Christi, but I love it for what it says and I pray it first upon receiving the Eucharist. Hopefully you can see here my thinking about it.

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Never let me be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That with all Thy saints and angels
I may praise Thee
Forever and ever
Amen

CM my friend thanks for sharing that very beautiful prayer. I will copy it and save it to my favorites…

I want to rephrase a question I hope you can shine some light on, The bible says Jesus was raised not just after the blood shed but by the actual blood shedding, how is this fact incorporated into your receiving the true blood, or does it? Do I make sense?

Heb 13:20Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep,** through the blood of the everlasting covenant**,

Hi Myfavoritemartin,

If the blood is Christs death is the bread life?

Both the bread and wine are Christ. The fact of consecrating them separately signifies His death.

As pointed out above, blood had a special role in Old Testament sacrifices, notably as a seal to the covenants. It is therefore what seals the New Covenant. In the words of the consecration :

«Take this, all of you, and drink from it: this is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant. It will be shed for you and for all, so that sins may be forgiven. Do this in memory of me.»

Verbum

One hundred percent. Did you expect anything else?

This is why we must come worthily to the celebration. As Paul warned, if we do not acknowledge come worthily, we eat and drink judgment upon ourselves (see 1 Corinthians 11:27-32).

This is why before we pray the words of the centurion while on our knees before receiving communion, "Lord, I am not worthy . . . " (see Matthew 8:8).

We are not worthy to be visited by our Lord. And yet He makes us worthy. He grants us “participation” (koinonia, “communion” or “sharing”) in His body and blood (see 1 Corinthians 10:16). Through this Eucharist we “come to share (koinonia) in the divine nature” (see 2 Peter 1:4).

salvationhistory.com/online/beginner/begcourse2_home.cfm

theworkofgod.org/Devotns/Euchrist/Topics/Mass-euc.htm

Although it is a long course of study, I would also suggest

salvationhistory.com/Online/intermediate/covlove.cfm

“Covenant” is the master concept that unlocks the meaning of the Bible. The Bible tells the story of God the Father’s love for His children and His plan to fashion all people into one holy family. God unfolds this plan of salvation through a series of covenants, culminating in the New Covenant He makes in Jesus. (The blood of the new and everlasting covenant)

That is my favorite prayer, I pray it after I received the Blessed Lord.

Could be why I find Catholics and EO very in your face about death!

Its not something we shy from. Why? we know it has no chain on us as a christian in good faith

:shrug:

Just my musing

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.