Bloodline of Jesus and it's importance

I asked this question in the “Ask and Aplogist” forum without an answer. Those guys are really busy over there, huh?! :slight_smile:

My question:

Jesus bloodline has been traced via different routes to Abraham and David. This was written and traced through Joseph, his earthly father. While it is well known that the Virgin Mary was concieved through the Holy Spirit, why is the ancestry traced through Joseph?! He’s not Jesus’ “biological” father and I find the bloodline of Joseph to be of little importance because of this. Am I way off base?!

the Jews traced bloodlines diferently than we do. According to Jewish law, Joseph was his father.

Here is a good article about it. catholic.org/clife/advent/index.php?id=11

Both Mary & Joseph were descended from King David. Luke gives us Mary’s genealogy, which has Jesus bloodline descent from David.
Matthew has Jesus legal line of descent. Joseph was descended from King Jeconiah/Jechonias, who was king at the time the Jews went into captivity in Babylon.So, legally, Joseph was closer to the throne, if there had been a king on David’s throne, in Jesus’ time.
But there was a curse put on Jeconiah, that none of his offspring would ever again be ruler of Israel. Mary’s bloodline was less close to the throne, BUT: she was descended from another branch of the royal family.
So, from Mary, Jesus got His physical, blood birthright as the King of the Jews. But from His foster father, Joseph, He recieved (as the “first born son”, hence that wording in the Bible, by the by) the legal right to inherit the kingship.

Now: this part is just my opinion, but I have often thought that this may have been part of the reason that the Jewish leaders, the Romans, & Herod were all in fear of Jesus…I figure that they all knew this stuff. We don’t think much about it, but I think they probably did!

[quote=Zooey]Both Mary & Joseph were descended from King David. Luke gives us Mary’s genealogy, which has Jesus bloodline descent from David.
Matthew has Jesus legal line of descent. Joseph was descended from King Jeconiah/Jechonias, who was king at the time the Jews went into captivity in Babylon.So, legally, Joseph was closer to the throne, if there had been a king on David’s throne, in Jesus’ time.
But there was a curse put on Jeconiah, that none of his offspring would ever again be ruler of Israel. Mary’s bloodline was less close to the throne, BUT: she was descended from another branch of the royal family.
So, from Mary, Jesus got His physical, blood birthright as the King of the Jews. But from His foster father, Joseph, He recieved (as the “first born son”, hence that wording in the Bible, by the by) the legal right to inherit the kingship.

[/quote]

I don’t know which version of the Bible you are looking at but both Matthew and Luke show Joseph’s geneology.

Luke 3:23-38 even states

Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph,
the son of Heli, the son of Matthat,
the son of Levi, the son of Melki,
the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph,
the son of Mattathias, the son of Amos,

Is says Joseph was the son of Heli…

Matthew also gives the lineage of Joseph

In judasim the blood line is traced through the mother.not the father…

The Fourth Century historian Eusebius explains the diferent geneologies as being the result of Levirite marriage. Both lines are through Joseph.

Still Small Voice posted some links in an earlier discussion, and one of them posed the following difficulty. I’ll try to dig up the scripture references later:

One geneology traces the line through Nathan, but scripture appears to say the messiah will come through Solomon.

The other geneology starts at Solomon, but includes Jeconiah. Scripture appears to say that the messiah will not come through Jeconiah.

So both geneologies appear to invalidate Jesus as the messiah.

Has anyone ever heard this argument before and a good response?

One problem I see with it is that it would also mean that there won’t be any messiah. The curse on Jeconiah, if taken to mean what the argument assumes, would effectively end the line of Solomon, and prove God a liar. On the other hand, if the curse doesn’t mean what the argument assumes, then the argument falls apart.

I believe that quote about the curse on Jeconiah comes from Jeremiah 22:30

“Thus says the LORD,
‘Write this man down childless,
A man who will not prosper in his days;
For no man of his descendants will prosper
Sitting on the throne of David
Or ruling again in Judah.’”

It seems to me that this just says his descendants won’t prosper while sitting on the throne or ruling in Judah. I don’t see this as saying there won’t be a ruler from his descendants.

Chipper

Actually…His bloodlines can be traced back to David on both Mary and Joseph’s sides of the family.

[quote=imroc]I asked this question in the “Ask and Aplogist” forum without an answer. Those guys are really busy over there, huh?! :slight_smile:

My question:

Jesus bloodline has been traced via different routes to Abraham and David. This was written and traced through Joseph, his earthly father. While it is well known that the Virgin Mary was concieved through the Holy Spirit, why is the ancestry traced through Joseph?! He’s not Jesus’ “biological” father and I find the bloodline of Joseph to be of little importance because of this. Am I way off base?!
[/quote]

[quote=neophyte]The Fourth Century historian Eusebius explains the diferent geneologies as being the result of Levirite marriage. Both lines are through Joseph.

Still Small Voice posted some links in an earlier discussion, and one of them posed the following difficulty. I’ll try to dig up the scripture references later:
Has anyone ever heard this argument before and a good response?

One problem I see with it is that it would also mean that there won’t be any messiah. The curse on Jeconiah, if taken to mean what the argument assumes, would effectively end the line of Solomon, and prove God a liar. On the other hand, if the curse doesn’t mean what the argument assumes, then the argument falls apart.
[/quote]

I’ve heard or read that there is a problem in some geneology because modern, non-Jewish men trace ancestory based on today’s standards. when in fact, if a man had a child and died, his wife would be taken on by his brother. His child will also be claimed as his as well. That is why there is a with a trace through a couple bloodlines, but all comes back to Abraham and David.

But, my real question is WHY is it traced through Joseph?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.