Blue as a Liturgical Color?

How coud I find out if we have them or not without appearing rude ? Do you think Father would mind ?

You could just ask him:

“Father, just out of curiosity, do we have a rose dalmatic for the deacon?”

This, or when the office opens after the Holidays, call and leave a message for the Sacristan.

From the General Instruction of the Roman Missal:
“346. As regards, the colour of sacred vestments, traditional usage should be observed, namely:
a) The colour white is used in the Offices and Masses during Easter Time …
g) On more solemn days, festive, that is, more precious, sacred vestments may be used, even if not of the colour of the day.
Moreover, Conferences of Bishops may determine and propose to the Apostolic See adaptations regarding liturgical colours that correspond to the needs and culture of the peoples.”

All the deacons I know have to buy their own vestments, the parish doesnt. I think decent stoles are $100 -!$150, and Dalmatics can run $200 - $500. That’s a lot for something used just twice a year. I’m sure if the deacon or parish had rose for the deacon, he would have worn it.

The rose coloured vestments/dalmatics are only used twice a year and are the last the parish/priest/deacon buys or are given. My parish got the rose coloured vestment about 5 years ago and the dalmatic 3-4 years ago if I remember correctly. We are a new parish with a new church building.

Well, twice a year, if the deacon or priest doesn’t want to wear rose for weddings…

White vestments with blue in the middle are very common for Marian celebrations like this one:
image Blue is usually seen as Mary´s colour.

The violet/purple can be of a more a “blueish” colour or “reddish” colour. Google “purple vestment” and you have a lot of different shades.

That’s a pretty vestment and yes, I’m aware of white vestments with blue in the middle…

Seriously? Is this even an option? I’ve never even heard of such.

I am not sure if it’s a joke or not. Rose is only for the 3rd Sunday in Advent and 4th Sunday of Lent.

The liturgical color for a nuptial mass is white.

This is inappropriate and uncalled for; please be more charitable if you disagree with something and don’t make assumptions about others’ motivations.

As long as it’s noted that these things need to occur in sequence, not simultaneously. It’s going overboard, disrespectful, and too extreme to write the bishop without consulting the pastor and receiving an inadequate response.

Never mind that then. I guess pink isn’t worn for weddings, my apologies to you all…

It’s the norm for Marian feasts in the EC and EO churches.

There are also some dispensations in some countries for its use for certain Marian feasts, but I don’t think that even then they have as many days as we do :slight_smile:

We used to have some for altar servers, too. One day Father asked us to use them, but . . . I managed to squeeze into the largest of them, but I looked like a sausage with an indecently short miniskirt. We laughed, and I put on white. They must have been ordered at a time the parish had a bunch of boys serving (The eastern norm is men, who are filling in for those hard-to-find subdeacons).

Not in the west, no.

hawk

Unrelated.

The color blue doesn’t come up anywhere in the Bible or in ancient Greek/Roman/Chinese/Egyptian text. People usually referred to the sky as “gray/white” up until around the Middle Ages, since blue wasn’t distinguished as a separate color.

When Homer described the Aegean Sea, he called it “like wine”.

I don’t see it mentioned here but I may have missed it: blue has been used as a Liturgical color in the Latin Church
for centuries, off and on, but only in the Diocese of Toledo, Spain, has it received official recognition allowing it be used because it is a tradition there from ‘time immemorial.’ It should not be used because it is not sanctioned elsewhere, but it is also not truly an ‘innovation;’ there is actually a long if inconsistent history of its use.

But there is no shortage of boys serving, including extraordinarily young ones. ( Usually dad is also serving.) I think the youngest I’ve seen was barely four years old. Five and six year olds are quite common

It’s been a few years since we’ve had any boys serving at ours. One college student is as close as it comes.

Some of the Priest’s vestments have blue accents and decorations. He wears those for the Feasts of Mary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.