Blue in Marian Chasubles

I understand that blue is not a valid liturgical color in the United States. Blue or primarily blue garments are thus inappropriate. I am wondering, however, about the so-called "Marian chasubles" favored by many priests for feasts of Mary. While primarily white, they contain sizable blue accents. On this Feast of the Immaculate Conception, for example, my pastor wore a (beautiful) white chasuble with a blue yoke extending down the entire front of the garment. It looked something like the "Marian White Chasuble" at the bottom of this page:

mckaychurchgoods.com/vests-tt.htm

Permissible?

[quote="Gaudium86, post:1, topic:178954"]
I understand that blue is not a valid liturgical color in the United States. Blue or primarily blue garments are thus inappropriate. I am wondering, however, about the so-called "Marian chasubles" favored by many priests for feasts of Mary. While primarily white, they contain sizable blue accents. On this Feast of the Immaculate Conception, for example, my pastor wore a (beautiful) white chasuble with a blue yoke extending down the entire front of the garment. It looked something like the "Marian White Chasuble" at the bottom of this page:

mckaychurchgoods.com/vests-tt.htm

Permissible?

[/quote]

Not a problem since the chasuble is obviously white.

From what I've read, the development of liturgical colors had a lot to do with climate, lighting, cultural customs, and complexion of the clergy.

Priests of the Syrian Churches (Malabar and Malankar) churches of India have a preference for pink and orange, for example.

The trim (or accent or decoration whatever one wants it call it), has nothing to do with the color per-se. It does, sometimes, serve to highlight the theme of the feast (as in this case) and that's always been acceptable. Even in pre-conciliar times, white with blue was very commonly used for Marian feasts. Personally, I'm not overly fond of the design in the link but it's simply white with blue trim. It's fine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.