blue-shift

How many galaxies and stars have a blue-shift?

I am sorry, I have asked this before–have observed the edge of the universe?

To all of you that help me, THANKS!!!

I am to understand that there is one, maybe two objects that MIGHT be blueshifted.

[quote="Jim_Baur, post:1, topic:308558"]
How many galaxies and stars have a blue-shift?

I am sorry, I have asked this before--have observed the edge of the universe?

To all of you that help me, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

There is about 100 or so minor galaxies that are local (within a few a million parsecs) that are blue-shifted. Everything else (about 100 billion galaxies of various sizes) is redshifted.

We cannot observe that which does not exist. The universe has no boundary, which means no edge to observe.

And, since you keep repeating questions, perhaps you should take more time to actually read the answers people give to you, rather than just keep asking over and over?

[quote="Farsight001, post:2, topic:308558"]
I am to understand that there is one, maybe two objects that MIGHT be blueshifted.

[/quote]

There are around 100 blue-shifted galaxies, not "maybe be one." Perhaps you should have Googled this question yourself before answering?

Further beyond your ignorance of the subject, how can something be possibly blue-shifted? Either it is blue-shifted, red-shifted or not at all, and we can tell very easily which of the three categories an object fits.

[quote="Alberti_Devoveo, post:4, topic:308558"]
There are around 100 blue-shifted galaxies, not "maybe be one." Perhaps you should have Googled this question yourself before answering?

Further beyond your ignorance of the subject, how can something be possibly blue-shifted? Either it is blue-shifted, red-shifted or not at all, and we can tell very easily which of the three categories an object fits.

[/quote]

Apologies your majesty, for not answering a question correctly. I will promptly commit seppuku to restore my honor.

Geez.

[quote="Farsight001, post:5, topic:308558"]
Apologies your majesty, for not answering a question correctly. I will promptly commit seppuku to restore my honor.

Geez.

[/quote]

It is not that you answered the question incorrectly, it is that you answered as if you knew the answer but had, instead, made a rather uneducated guess.

[quote="Alberti_Devoveo, post:3, topic:308558"]

And, since you keep repeating questions, perhaps you should take more time to actually read the answers people give to you, rather than just keep asking over and over?

[/quote]

I do read these.

I have confused over and over again not to be smart.

I apologize, and in all love an honesty, for asking questions. It is what we do not know that gives us light.

I do not learn something from hearing it once or twice.

I mean this lovingly, I am a 50 percentile person and it takes a lot of time to learn.

I thank you for your help, and patience.

I come from the tradition in St. John's Gospel--ask questions. There are about 125 questions in that Gospel alone.

There are so many traditions that ask questions: Confucius, Socrates, Scientific Method, Courts of Law, Politics, Journalism, Detectives, Talmudic, Parents, and Serious Slow Students like myself.

Again, I thank you for your patience and knowledge.

[quote="Alberti_Devoveo, post:6, topic:308558"]
It is not that you answered the question incorrectly, it is that you answered as if you knew the answer but had, instead, made a rather uneducated guess.

[/quote]

Except that I did not do that. I said "I am to understand". I did not make a statement of absolute fact.

Thanks for all of the help thus far.

I am not sure how to ask these questions--sorry.

With the blue and red-shift, is light a constant?

Will light speed up and slow down? (I guess that it does.)

Concerning the spiral galaxies, does the side spinning away have one shift and the side spinning towards us have a different shift?

THANKS!!!

[quote="Jim_Baur, post:9, topic:308558"]

Concerning the spiral galaxies, does the side spinning away have one shift and the side spinning towards us have a different shift?

THANKS!!!

[/quote]

Light is always moving at a constant speed. It doesn't slow or accelerate.

May I ask why you are asking this? Is there a larger principle at stake here? And why is this in the philosophy sub-forum?

THANKS!!!

[/quote]

Regarding the spinning question and the different shifts on the different sides - I bet you could figure this out. If the center of a galaxy has very low net velocity relative to you, and the galaxy is rotating in a plane parallel to your light of sight, and it's close enough that you can really resolve the shape of the galaxy (i.e. it's not just a point or blob of light), then maybe? Or more generally, regardless of how fast a galaxy is moving away, perhaps it's possible to resolve slight differences in red shift from one side to the other.

[/quote]

The speed at which light travels in a vacuum is a universal constant. The speed at which it travels through another medium, such as water or air, is less than its speed in the vacuum and can be spatially dependent.

What blue- and red-shift indicate is that the source of the light is either moving towards or away from our point of view.

[/quote]

The only way light can 'speed up' is if it goes from traveling in a medium into a vacuum, the only way it can 'slow down' is if it goes from traveling in vacuum into a medium.

[/quote]

Yes. The side that is rotating towards us is blue-shifted while the side that is rotating away from us is red-shifted--though if the whole galaxy is moving away from our galaxy, then the side that is rotating towards us would be less red-shifted while the other side would be more red-shifted.

Jim, if you have access to Netflix streaming, I highly recomment the "Universe" series. If you want, you can select specifically programs dealing with astronomy studies on a galactic and inter-galactic scale.

Wow!

Thanks!

Netflix sounds great!

For those that are rightly concerned about my questions, I am curious about the philosophy of science, and therefore ask such primary or fundamental questions.

For those of you that are scientists, I feel like I am in sixth grade--but that is where I am.

I know that what I don't know will give me a further understanding.

I have an excellent background in academics, but I am only maybe a 50 percentile individual--sound a little contradictory. However, that is my situation.

Alberti_Devoveo DaveBj tomarin Bobby Jim

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with being a little slow, I can see the world a little more clearly sometimes because I get a little longer view.

It is like being dyslexic, I see two or three times as much as other people.

It is like being dyslexic, I get different views of the world.

The last two statements are for my enjoyment and fun; they are a little true.

God Bless and thanks!

Ask your questions, Jim, and I'll help where I can. As concerns those who criticize, just tell them to hang it on their beaks :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.