Blue wax candles

I was wondering if the Catholic Church uses blue wax candles? I know that we use white candles in different colored candle holders but I’ve never seen blue wax before. I know we use pink and purple for the Advent Wreath. Worries me because I’ve been told that Satanic worshipers use blue wax candles for their ceremonies.

As long as the candles have more that 51% beeswax, they can be pink with orange spots.

I have never seen blue wax candles.

I’ve seen one lit near statues of Our Lady, since blue is the color associated with her. I’ve seen priests have blue trim on their chaucibles when they celebrate her feast days solemnities.

I’ve never heard that before, and I wouldn’t particularly care what color they use. Color does not belong to Satan, it belongs to God. Satanists have also tried to pervert St. Peter’s cross, but it doesn’t make that symbol theirs. The same would go for blue’s symbolism. Of course they’d want to pervert Our Lady’s color, because Satan hates her!

Our church candles in front of the statues of the Blessed Mother and the Sacred Heart of Jesus are all white in clear plastic containers. The clear plastic containers of white candles are either placed in a blue glass holder or a red glass holder. Blue for Mary—red for the Sacred Heart. We have the large 7 day burning candles and the smaller ones that only burn for a few hours. I must say we do go through quite a bit of candles every week.

Max, do you know why the beeswax content is important? Honest question and asking because I honestly don’t know. Call it human curiosity. :slight_smile:

I had a thread on it awhile ago… let me see if I can find it

Thank you🙂

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

All I can find is the 2nd sentence in this graphic:

Deja Vu, Pup haha

Continuing the discussion from Candles at home:

and

Continuing the discussion from Candles at home:

“The wax produced by the honeybee is considered the sweetest and purist, the most appropriate for symbolizing the humanity of Christ.”

BEAUTIFUL!

Fascinating. I found this little tidbit regarding wax candles on EWTN. Scroll down to the follow up question to see the discussion.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur223.ht

I’m sure Max will have a great resource. Here is one about candle use, history, and composition.

No.

I’ve never seen any color other than white used on the altar. Here’s what the USCCB has to say about candles in the liturgy/sanctuary:

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/sacred-art-and-music/architecture-and-environment/composition-of-candles.cfm

Yes, in the advent wreath not on the altar.

Outside of the liturgy-- devotional candles for example-- you can have whatever colored candles you want.

I’m not sure why this would worry you. To me it’s sort of a “so what?” Even if it were true, which I don’t think it is, that doesn’t mean anything.

Here’s another just wondering question - a new Paschal candle is used at the Easter Vigil. What happens to the old candle?

In my parish, we keep them on display in the baptistery, as they have beautiful art on them.

I would think they can be buried or disposed of respectfully.

Thank you for the information.

I have one, or most of one. The pastor at the time offered it to my mom since she helped facilitate a bible study and a prayer group. She would cut them in shorter, more manageable pieces and burn them during prayer groups or even for her own use. I like having it because a usually sat near the baptismal font for Mass and it was always in my view. The association is helpful.

My parish used to cut it up and a parishioner would melt the pieces to make baptismal candles out of it. That parishioner has passed on, so the Paschal candle from last year is in the sacristy.

Many liturgical supply houses will also allow the used candle to be returned and they will make new candles from them.

Since they are blessed they should not just be tossed in the garbage and should be recycled, burned or buried.

We had a particular parishioner buy them most years in memory of his parents and grandparents so he got it back when the new one was used for the next year but he’s done now s o we shall see…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.