Boasting

In the city I live in which is Manchester NH, I sometimes see people boasting around holding up signs saying “Jesus is coming”. Did Jesus himself warn about this? i’m not sure but I think there is a passage that talks about people boasting about their religion.

I don’t think that’s boasting. Boasting is when one is talking with excessive self pride especially about one’s accomplishments.

That’s not boasting.
That’s scaring people into conversion. It seldom works.
We do better to pray for each other.

I like when I see those signs – it reminds me of St. John the Baptist. Just think of the things he said – “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!”
:eek:
“You brood of Vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?” **St. John said that to a bunch of Pharisee who wanted to be baptized (repentance baptism) by the Baptist. This is all from scripture – a little awe of God’s coming can’t hurt us too much!

When I see those signs, I think, “Go home and wash your dishes: I’m sure the sink’s full.”

They are right. Jesus is coming.

We just don’t know when. :shrug:

-Tim-

At least those folks are actually making an attempt to evangelize.

If we Catholics were more interested in sharing our faith, and in being less concerned with human respect, what a difference would be made in our lukewarm parishes, to say nothing of the surrounding culture. :slight_smile:

I’m afraid I always remember what somebody wrote on the bottom of a ‘Jesus is coming’ poster - ‘Quick! Look busy’.

Amen!:clapping::tiphat:

“Preach the Gospel at all times and, if necessary, use words.”

That is the hardest — words are so easy but to walk the talk is another story!:sad_yes:

I agree. In this day and age, the best way to evangelize is to let your entire life be a reflection of Christ. In other words, “Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God.” If my earlier post came off as flippant, it’s because picket-sign evangelization is a turn-off even to me as a practicing Catholic - so how effective is it really going to be in bringing non-believers to Christ?

True – A poster is not the same as a real John the Baptist – he didn’t use posters but his life was the witness. Yep! :o

There is nothing wrong, for Jesus said;, You will not no the Hr or time I shall clam my Kingdom, so pray and be ready for the coming off Jesus. AMEN

This is what got me back, took a few decades but I actually met a good person…:shrug: I needed to see one to believe

This reminds me of a dear priest in my life.

To (kind of) quote him: “The thing that bothers me about Franciscans is that I’ve never met one that was anything like St. Francis. But that’s a fault in me, not them.”

Fault or not fault, this old saying allegedly spoken by St. Francis should be tempered a bit by what my priest friend thinks, IMO. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.