Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature

Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature reut.rs/2d9sAOZ

. . . and Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize . . before he even took office. These awards have become a joke.

I mean seriously, I like Dylan as much as the next guy but c’mon. Literature? Nice rhymes. Catchy tunes… But not “literature” IMHO.

It is controversial, for sure, but I am delighted. :extrahappy:

I’ve never really listened to Bob Dylan before. Unexpected out of the box choice, but I know Dylan is thought well by and has influenced many it is said.

I was recently working on family genealogy. From that I learned a relative was good friends with the poet and song writer Robert Burns. My relative was even named in one of Burn’s songs. Eternal fame. It had me thinking of reading Burns poetry and songs in the future. It would be fun to learn how life was for my ancestor, in rhymes and songs.

No literature award to people who write novels?

Maybe next year the Literature award will go to the author of a comic book.

As the Nobel Prizes continue to spiral into irrelevance.

I like Dylan and his music quite a lot, but I wonder whether he’s embarrassed about this? My guess would be, yes. Even Obama was reportedly embarrassed about his Nobel Prize, and Dylan woulld have to be at least several million orders of magnitude more grounded than him. :shrug:

I like Dylan and his music quite a lot, but I wonder whether he’s embarrassed about this? My guess would be, yes. Even Obama was reportedly embarrassed about his Nobel Prize, and Dylan woulld have to be at least several million orders of magnitude more grounded than him. :shrug:

I was always a big Dylan fan, even in the early days. However, in the past 10 yrs I have been to two disappointing concerts of his. Most of the people in attendance were in their 50’s and 60’s and obviously came to hear the old Dylan of their youth. He played the same songs but changed them up so much that most were not recognizable and those in attendance were not pleased. I guess after 50 yrs of playing these songs he got tired of singing the Times They are a Changin’, and Forever Young in the same way, Most of us just wanted it to be 1971 again for a few hours and not hear a new rendition.

Stan Lee is getting pretty old. I hope he wins while still alive.

I am sure it is too late for the authors of my first grade readers. “See Dick run.” An absolute classic that deserves more respect.:slight_smile:

On the other hand, at least Hugh Hefner and Larry Flynt were not given the honor. At least not yet.

I’m getting tired of the 60’s.

Bob Dylan fans — or we may call ourselves scholars now — might be interested in a book of Bob Dylan’s song lyrics published back in 2004:
Title: Lyrics, 1962-2001
Author: Bob Dylan
All of his lyrics from his first album, Bob Dylan, to 2001’s Love and Theft.

Perhaps it should be no surprise, the publishers are coming out with an update later this year, called The Lyrics: 1961-2012.

T am a big Dylan fan but even I’d have to concede it has been a long time since he put out a truly stellar album. He has put out a great deal of sub-par work in the years covered by that prize. Also I too am not entirely sure song lyrics should be include in the category, some of Dylan’s lyrics at their best are astounding but I can think of other artists who match him. This strikes me as more a case of giving him a prized because he is an iconic figure who is still knocking about. Also, Tomarin has a point, the 60’s was a long time ago and many of the acts from that period were as with much popular music really quite naff when you look back at them now, I’d have voted for a prize for Frank Zappa but he is sadly of course dead.

I guess reading books is too much of an effort these days, even for the Nobel squad. :rolleyes:

So you have to write a book to win a literature prize
That leaves out people like William Shakespere
Guys poetry is the highest form of literature and some consider Dylan the greatest poet of the last fifty years. The competition was pretty weak in my opinion but all literature has some degree of subjectivity.
Poetry is the only literature we’re he words actually become actions not just describe them

Leonard Cohen: Bob Dylan Winning the Nobel Is Like ‘Pinning a Medal on Mount Everest for Being the Highest Mountain’

Days after singer-songwriter Bob Dylan was awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature for his prolific career in the music industry — causing quite a bit of brouhaha in the aftermath — his friend and contemporary Leonard Cohen had a few eloquent words to say about Dylan’s monumental achievement. “I will comment on his receiving the Nobel Prize, which to me is like pinning a medal on Mount Everest for being the highest mountain,” Cohen said during a moderated interview in Los Angeles on Thursday night, according to *Billboard. *“I think that Bob Dylan knows this more than all of us: you don’t write the songs anyhow. So if you’re lucky, you can keep the vehicle healthy and responsive over the years. If you’re lucky, your own intentions have very little to do with this. You can keep the body as well-oiled and receptive as possible, but whether you’re actually going to be able to go for the long haul is really not your own choice.”

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I studied folk ballads in Literature classes throughout my education. I even wrote a paper on the use of folk ballads in rock music. Bob Dylan is part of our folk tradition. He is known for his lyrics more than his melodies. I’d even say his work has influenced our culture as much as any novelist.

Do you consider poetry literature?

I think it’s a big problem the way the 60’s lords it over all the other decades. I just read a book by music critic Simon Reynolds that makes a stong case for the era of post-punk (1977 - 1984 or so) as one of great creative ferment arguably equal to that of the 60’s, or at least in the same league.

What the heck does that mean? :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.