Bob Geldorf Apologizes!

Bob Geldorf admits what has long been known

‘I am responsible for two of the worst songs in history. One is Do They Know It’s Christmas? and the other one is We Are The World.

Do They Know Its Christmas Time is my guilty pleasure Christmas song. Can't stand We Are the World.

I'd like to apologize to anyone who now has a We Are The World *or *Do They Know Its Christmas earbug.

It wasn't intentional.

If it was intended, I'd have picked something like, maybe, Afternoon Delight.

I admit ignorance-I 've never heard the Christmas song, but the whole thing sounds like the plot from "About A Boy." (Which was a great movie.)

[quote="Reservoir_Dog, post:3, topic:221341"]
I'd like to apologize to anyone who now has a We Are The World *or *Do They Know Its Christmas earbug.

It wasn't intentional.

[/quote]

Dog! Knock it off mentioning bad songs!;)

[quote="Reservoir_Dog, post:3, topic:221341"]
It wasn't intentional.

[/quote]

:rotfl:

Do they Know it's Christmas is much worse than We are the World

Haven't heard We are the World for about 20 years.

Any one hear"*Last Christmas *by George Michael yet?:D

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:7, topic:221341"]

[/quote]

don't do this.. please... please...

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:7, topic:221341"]

[/quote]

Yes. Only because we have a radio station that started an all Christmas music format on Halloween:eek:

[quote="Reservoir_Dog, post:1, topic:221341"]
Bob Geldorf admits what has long been known

[/quote]

Hmm, I like them (and apparently a lot of people did too given how much money they've raised).

But only the originals. The "remakes" of "Do They Know it's Christmas" are not as good as the original, and the remake of "We are the World" that they did for Haiti is spectacularly awful (the amateur Youtube version is a better remake, but still not as good as the original).

For some reason, no one ever seems to remember the Canadian song "Tears are Not Enough" when they make this list either.

[quote="PatriceA, post:2, topic:221341"]
Do They Know Its Christmas Time is my guilty pleasure Christmas song. Can't stand We Are the World.

[/quote]

I still like the 12" single version with the big 'roll call' at the end (the one that gets rarely played on the radio). 12" singles still rule. :thumbsup:

[quote="curlycool89, post:10, topic:221341"]

For some reason, no one ever seems to remember the Canadian song "Tears are Not Enough" when they make this list either.

[/quote]

Or the heavy metal Hear'nAid, either. Some rock stations played it again when Ronnie James Dio went on to rock the pearly gates, but nothing since then.

[quote="Reservoir_Dog, post:8, topic:221341"]
don't do this.. please... please...

[/quote]

Hey, ReservoirDog! I happen to sort of like that song!:p

Call me "weird and strange", I know...................

Let me put it this way----I've heard MUCH worse. You may disagree. That is fine. :thumbsup:

What can I say? George Michael is a pretty good singer.

Sue me!!! :D

[quote="JM3, post:6, topic:221341"]
:rotfl:

[/quote]

You guys know that it IS about Masturbation, right?:p

I agree it is an awful song----but it WAS put to good use in the Movie "The Rules Of Attraction." James Van Der Beek's Character was doing........."what the song is about" to it. :eek:

I agree with you about the remake of “We Are The World.” Mindblowingly awful. And the folks chosen for this one were Way Off kilter in relation to one another. You basically had Tony Bennett next to Rappers/Hip-Hop Artists and Trashy Pop Singers. :rolleyes:

Never really cared for either of those songs, either. But at least they’re better than the “remakes,” for sure. :thumbsup:

[quote="OrdinaryMelkite, post:14, topic:221341"]
You guys know that it IS about Masturbation, right?:p

I agree it is an awful song----but it WAS put to good use in the Movie "The Rules Of Attraction." James Van Der Beek's Character was doing........."what the song is about" to it. :eek:

[/quote]

'Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight, gonna grab some afternoon delight'??? It's about sex, not masturbation.

[quote="OrdinaryMelkite, post:13, topic:221341"]
Hey, ReservoirDog! I happen to sort of like that song!:p

Call me "weird and strange", I know...................

Let me put it this way----I've heard MUCH worse. You may disagree. That is fine. :thumbsup:

What can I say? George Michael is a pretty good singer.

Sue me!!! :D

[/quote]

Well, if we're on the World's Worst Song hunt, add in Paul Anka's Having My Baby and Manilow's I Am Music.

No, but I’ve heard the version of “Last Christmas” by Taylor Swift - the definitive version of the song. Nobody, especially not Kanye West, should ever try recording a better version:
youtube.com/watch?v=IF6mF0ebX6Q

[quote="LilyM, post:16, topic:221341"]
'Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight, gonna grab some afternoon delight'??? It's about sex, not masturbation.

[/quote]

Ok, thanks then. A long time ago i was given to understand that it WAS about Masturbation. For some reason I accepted that. I guess I understood wrong. :p
But thanks for that. :thumbsup:

[quote="Reservoir_Dog, post:17, topic:221341"]
Well, if we're on the World's Worst Song hunt, add in Paul Anka's Having My Baby and Manilow's I Am Music.

[/quote]

I know.............:D

There is an interesting story about Anka and his song, though. Many years ago, Feminists and Pro-Abortion people were deeply offended by the song and the lyrics "This is your way of showing me how much you love me." Or something like it.
They bit Anka's ear off about it in the media and other places.

In response Anka wrote another Song------"You're Killing My Baby." Attaboy, Paul. :p

Personally, Listening to Manilow all day non-stop would be my equivalent of being in Dante's Ninth Circle Of Hell. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.