Bodies 'Fly' As Car Slams into a Crowd of Churchgoers at California Catholic Church

An apparently intoxicated woman went through a red light and ploughed into a crowd of people filing out from a childrens’ concert of Christmas songs at St. James Catholic Church. Three died and many were injured, some critically, including children. Some of the people received last rites in front of the church.
see www.charlestondailymail.com/article/20141218/ARTICLE/141219210/1276

Praying for all of those injured, their families and everyone involved. This is so tragic!!

Gracious and merciful Father, please come to their assistance.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

How awful, right before Christmas, too.

I pray for all those involved, the driver especially. Their lives are forever changed, in a split moment, as can any of our lives be.

Crying hard as I write. OH Golly Day! Oh Golly Day! Poor people. Oh my. Why???

Saint Jude, glorious apostle, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the name of the traitor has caused you to be forgotten by many. But the Church honors and invokes you universally as the patron of difficult and desperate cases. Pray for me who am so miserable. Make use, I implore you, of that particular privilege accorded to you to bring visible and speedy help where help was almost despaired of. Come to my assistance in this great need that I may receive the consolation and help of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations and sufferings, particularly — I’m not asking for me now but to Please help all the children and people involved in this horror. Please help the drunken lady who will have this on her heart for all eternity.— and that I may bless God with you and all the elect throughout all eternity. Amen

Almighty God, you sacrificed Your Son so that we and our children would transcend physical death. We know that You grieved when He was crucified and that You grieve over all the atrocities done by men – especially in Your name. You know and understand grief as You know and understand all. You know best how to comfort these parents and families. Lift their hearts up to You and fill them with Your peace. Your understanding is beyond our human comprehension, but give them the knowledge and faith to endure even that which they can’t understand. Let them be aware of You always God, and help them to remember that Your Love is Life that can never really be taken away. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Wow. That is really sad. This woman needs to go to jail for a very long time and I am sure that she will. For one thing, she was driving while intoxicated. For another, she will likely be charged with manslaughter.

I heard she might have been on her prescription medication, not necessarily drunk. But she could just as easily have been texting, or sleepy, or distracted. I think, “There but for the grace of God go I” and I pray for everyone involved. I’ve been to this church too - not too far from me.

Sadly a 4th person has died - a 6 year old boy whose mother was also killed.

Blessed Mother, please intercede for us.
Hold the sorrowful, strengthen the fearful,
mother and love the weary, abused, neglected
or forgotten among us,
give your aid to all needing help or healing,
assist those who are sick, in pain or suffering,
be with those needing peace,
console the lonely or brokenhearted,
comfort the lost or hopeless,
guard the unborn,
pray for those who are dying or who have died,
soften those with hardened hearts,
enlighten those who do not yet see truth,
help us be brave enough to let our hurt and anger go,
show us the way to do the right thing,
protect those who are in danger,
and guide us from every evil.
May all who keep your sacred commemoration
experience the might of your assistance.
Amen :gopray2:

My prayers for the poor persons effected by this and the souls of the deceased.

Christmas always seems to be a time of dwi deaths, fires and maybe even a few cases of carbon monoxide poisoning. This was really really bad. Prayers for the parish too, last night, a week before Christmas, a Catholic Church/School near us was having a children’s Christmas presentation. So it sounds like this was probably the same backdrop, I was even in one of those presentations as a child.

Sounds like she was intoxicated to me. This is absolutely tragic, and such pointless suffering - right before Christmas. We need to pray for all involved. What kind of Christmas will these families have? (including the driver)

Just an aside - I was hit the other night on my bike after dark, about 6, crossing a street. I wasn’t injured; very minor brush up. The driver claimed she couldn’t see me because it was so dark; she did hit her brakes hard but not in time. (I drive that street all the time; it’s packed with street lights with excellent, extended visibility.) Let’s remember to be careful out there - don’t drive intoxicated and please watch out for others. The driver who hit me was just so distracted and stressed, she was *tearing *down the road.

This is just too sad for words. They are all in my prayers.

You may be jumping to conclusions, without all the facts, in this admittedly horrible incident. Our compassion should not only be directed to the dead, dying, injured, and their families, but also to the woman driving.

Nobody “needs to go to jail”. If it turns out her intoxication is from prescription drugs, there are innumerable issues that need to be addressed, outside the realm of imprisonment, including treatment if her use of the drug was illicit, the dangers of driving while on the medication may not have been properly conveyed or understood, etc.

There can be an analogy made between imprisonment and damnation, and sin and criminality.

We are damned only for mortal sin. And mortal sin takes grave matter, full knowledge of wrong, and willful entry into that sinfulness.

The same might be said for imprisonment. If it can be demonstrated that the woman in question did not understand the risks of taking medication and driving, and did not do so intentionally against these warnings, imprisonment might not be the appropriate action.

If the use of the medicine was illicit, or the drug itself was illicit, perhaps imprisonment is appropriate. However, if she did so because of an addiction, imprisonment alone will do nothing to solve her problem, and treatment must be considered.

Peace and all Good!

I caught the tail end of a newscast last night saying there’d been a deadly car accident in my town, but didn’t catch any details. I didn’t realize it was at my church. Tragic.

From the LA Times: Driver charged in deadly crash after Christmas concert

Posecutors have filed felony vehicular manslaughter charges against a suspected intoxicated driver who plowed into a crowd of people leaving a Christmas concert Wednesday night, killing four.

Margo Bronstein, 56, of Redondo Beach has been charged with four felony counts of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and one count of being under the influence of a drug, causing injuries, said Ricardo Santiago, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office.

Just an absolute heartbreaking story. One of the saddest I’ve read in quite a while. :frowning:

This is very tragic news indeed. May the departed rest in peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.