Bodies of 21 babies found in China river

BEIJING – Bodies of 21 babies have been discovered in plastic bags in a river in eastern China and authorites suspect they were dumped there by local hospitals, state media reported Tuesday. An initial investigation showed that eight of the 21 babies wore identification tags on their feet tracing them back to Jining Medical College Hospital in Shandong province, the according to the People's Daily Web site. The other 13 were unidentified. Three of the eight were admitted to the hospital in critical condition, the report said. It did not say when they were admitted. Video footage posted online showed interviews with local residents who discovered the bodies covered in plastic trash bags floating near the shore over the weekend. news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100330/ap_on_re_as/as_china_dead_babies Welcome to the Middle Kingdom!

This doesn't make sense. If someone were committing murder, wouldn't they have removed the identification tags from the babies? And since the babies were found together, but in separate bags, it suggests that their bodies were dumped/abandoned at the same time. Did so many babies die the same day? Were they taken from the morgue? What would be the motive for dumping their bodies like this? :confused:

~sigh~

It sounds, to me, like the medical center has been discarding babies that die for quite awhile, but someone got lazy. Or didn’t understand that on death bodies create gasses and the bags would float.

Where are the Mothers and Fathers?

So sad, we live in a world where life has little value and death has less.:(:frowning:

Well, the Chinese have always been known to have no regard for human being. This is just one of many examples of Chinese cruelty. Those poor babies could be aborted or killed because of their gender or whatever.

Wow,:( things like this is really sad.
No information about it yet. I know that in China alot of baby girls are left for dead because the parent want boys. Hope it is not because of that. No reason in any way to do that.

It is just so sad.

You're all missing the phrase in the article that said "Three of the eight were admitted to the hospital in critical condition." This is not about dead babies dumped in the river. At least some, if not all, were alive...

so sad...deplorable act...

[quote="Sister_MM, post:6, topic:192694"]
You're all missing the phrase in the article that said "Three of the eight were admitted to the hospital in critical condition." This is not about dead babies dumped in the river. At least some, if not all, were alive...

[/quote]

Sister, with all due respect, I think you may be misinterpreting the article. It says that eight of the 21 bodies had hospital tags and at least three of them had been admitted earlier to the hospital in critical condition.

I think the description of the babies as bodies implies they were all dead. And the phrase "[t]hree of them had been admitted earlier to the hospital in critical condition" simply lets us know that some of the babies had been alive when they reached the hospital and given tags ...before their bodies were placed in plastic bags and discarded.

However, it is possible that there is some confusion due to translation.

I don’t see the word earlier. This is what I see.

“Three of the eight were admitted to the hospital in critical condition, the report said. It did not say when they were admitted.”

One can only conclude from what was directly stated, not implied, that at some point, the babies were admitted to the hospital.

[quote="Sister_MM, post:9, topic:192694"]
I don't see the word earlier. This is what I see.

"Three of the eight were admitted to the hospital in critical condition, the report said. It did not say when they were admitted."

One can only conclude from what was directly stated, not implied, that at some point, the babies were admitted to the hospital.

[/quote]

How very strange. This is what I see:

Residents discovered the remains under a bridge in the city of Jining, Shandong province, over the weekend. Tags on the feet of eight of the babies traced them back to a hospital in Jining, according to the People's Daily Web site. Three of them had been admitted earlier to the hospital in critical condition, the report said. It did not say when.

Its weird that we would see different text! But that certainly explains the different interpretations we have given to the story.

This really IS weird! My version doesn't mention the bridge, either!:shrug: As you say, this explains a lot!

Additional information from The Times (of London):

Local police and health officials said they had launched an investigation and several staff from the Jining hospital had been suspended.

A local television presenter attacked those responsible. He said: “Where do these babies come from? From which damned hospital?”

In an unusually emotional outburst for Chinese television, he said: “These infants never had a chance to walk on this Earth and that is already their tragedy. But shouldn’t you then dispose of them properly instead of just tossing them out? These people have the hearts of dogs. They are hateful and contemptible.”

timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7081265.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=797093

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.