Bodily Assumption of saint Joseph

does anyone knowabout the tradition that says that saint Joseph’s body was assumed into heaven?? does anyone know of any relics of saint Joseph or where his tomb is??

The Life and Glories of St. Joseph
By: Edward Healy Thompson

tanbooks.com/shop_image/product/life0075.jpg http://www.tanbooks.com/shop_image/design/spacer.gif The Life and Glories of St. Joseph. No words of St. Joseph are recorded In Scripture. In fact, little mention is made of him there. Yet, despite these seeming limitations, the Church nonetheless possesses an indescribably rich knowledge of St. Joseph and of his cultus. This book will astound most readers both with its scope and with its profundity. Based mainly on Scripture, but supported also by Tradition and the depositions of saints, it is a carefully reasoned analysis of the entirety of that great saint’s role in the history of Salvation and the life of the Church. Includes details about his spiritual life and noble lineage; how he was prefigured in the Old Testament; his relationship to Mary and Jesus; why he has been named by Pope Pius IX “The Patron of the Universal Church;” and so forth. Many beautiful insights.

tanbooks.com/

One thing is for sure. St. Joseph must have had the most peaceful death with Jesus and Mary by his side.

matt

eeee

[quote=tpillip]does anyone knowabout the tradition that says that saint Joseph’s body was assumed into heaven?? does anyone know of any relics of saint Joseph or where his tomb is??
[/quote]

I believe that there is a relic of St. Joseph at the church of the Holy Relics , the Mother house of the Sisters of the Precious Blood at Maria Stein.

…huh, we probably would know a little more about St Joseph if we wern’t alway burying the guy in someone’s back yard…sheese…:smiley:

http://eholy.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/32.jpg

[quote=space ghost]…huh, we probably would know a little more about St Joseph if we wern’t alway burying the guy in someone’s back yard…sheese…:smiley:

http://eholy.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/32.jpg
[/quote]

Those stupid kits really help our image with evangelicals… :frowning:

It’s especially bad because in most cases the object itself is being given the credit for any good it might do rather than giving that credit to St. Joseph’s intercession.

how about you people actually answer the two questions I asked?? bodily assumption of Saint Joseph??? is there a tomb? relics??

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]I believe that there is a relic of St. Joseph at the church of the Holy Relics , the Mother house of the Sisters of the Precious Blood at Maria Stein.
[/quote]

Just in case you missed it…

And there is a gentleman who has gathered hundreds of relics together for a museum display.

ichrusa.com/courtyard/web-articles/Display-ofreligious-relics-opens.htm

ichrusa.com/courtyard/web-articles/travel-guide.htm

[quote=tpillip]does anyone knowabout the tradition that says that saint Joseph’s body was assumed into heaven?? does anyone know of any relics of saint Joseph or where his tomb is??
[/quote]

I don’t think Saint Joseph was assumed bodily into heaven. I think that any mention of it is merely pious fiction.

There have been several mentions here of relics as well, which would preclude it if they are supposed to be body parts.

[quote=tpillip]does anyone knowabout the tradition that says that saint Joseph’s body was assumed into heaven??
[/quote]

There was such an idea in the 17th century, which is “of several centuries’ standing”.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967): volume 7, page 1111, mentions that it has been presented as a “probable opinion”, by Francisco Suarez S.J. (1548-1617), among others.

There has also been a belief in the assumption of St. John the disciple - Dante (1265-1321) is a witness to it in the Paradiso, canto 26.

does anyone know of any relics of saint Joseph or where his tomb is??

[/quote]

Is there a “Mary” follow-up question???

I can see what’s coming next, “Who’s buried in Mary’s tomb?”

[quote=tpillip]how about you people actually answer the two questions I asked?? bodily assumption of Saint Joseph??? is there a tomb? relics??
[/quote]

The book I referenced goes into great detail about St. Joseph, including the debated bodily assumption.

I tend to believe he did.

Some theologians have waaaaay too much time on their hands.

It seems to me that the theology profession is one that, by its nature, inclines one to make useless and dangerous speculations. Think about it: if Theologians just professed what the Church teaches, and did not try to add or deduce something new, they’d be out of job! They have to come up with these kinds of speculations, just to justify their existence!

I’m not trying to know the whole profession, but for goodness’ sake who the heck cares that Joseph was assumed? Must we go out of our way to add articles of faith, even speculatively, that have absolutely no basis in the Biblical and Patristic tradition of the Church?

In the Middle Ages, some theologians even speculated that Our Lady was conceved virginally in the womb of Saint Anne. Could be true, could not be. But shouldn’t we assume it isn’t unless we have incontestable proof otherwise?

Geez . . .

There is a strong tendency to mythologize.

It almost cannot be helped so we must guard against it. A good rule is: if it has not already been revealed from at least apostolic times, always assume the least supernatural explanation.

“It makes sense” and “it sounds logical” is not good enough. That is a recipe for the imagination to take over, and the inventiveness starts. It is not even wise to say “the church has never ruled on it, so…” because we are not at liberty to invent facts. We would be playing head games and creating pious fiction.

As Sacramentalist has pointed out, some speculators in the past suggested that the conception of St Anne (Mary’s conception) was virginal…over 1000 years after the fact! This is dangerous derivative theorizing with absolutely no factual or revelatory reason, it merely exalts the human intellect. “wouldn’t it make sense” is how the idea is usually introduced and then people choose to believe it, because they believe the church has never “ruled” on it and so it is open to speculation. :nope:

[quote=Sacramentalist]incontestable proof
[/quote]

Kinda throws a lot of tradition out the window, doesn’t it?

[quote=Isidore_AK]Those stupid kits really help our image with evangelicals… :frowning:
[/quote]

Just like hanging rosaries outside so it will not rain. Come on people! Use the rosary for its intention.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.