Bodily Resurection and End of Times

Okay I am overly confused about what the catholic church teaches about bodily resurection. Is it a real physical body or something else. Also does this occur only at the end of the world? (Apocolypis) And how does this relate to the idea of heaven being the place that we go when we die and that the saints are currently in heaven.

Peace

[quote=Mr. Bean]Okay I am overly confused about what the catholic church teaches about bodily resurection. Is it a real physical body or something else. Also does this occur only at the end of the world? (Apocolypis) And how does this relate to the idea of heaven being the place that we go when we die and that the saints are currently in heaven.

Peace
[/quote]

I our souls go to heaven, hell, or purgatory when we die. Our bodies get resurrected at the end of time. Our resurrected bodies will be real, but glorified. Read how Jesus’ body behaved after the resurrection - glorious yet real; physical (ate food) yet spiritual (walked through closed doors). It looks like something we’ll have to wait to experience before we understand it fully.

so are we completely human without our bodies?

What is a soul?

[quote=Mr. Bean]Okay I am overly confused about what the catholic church teaches about bodily resurection. Is it a real physical body or something else. Also does this occur only at the end of the world? (Apocolypis) And how does this relate to the idea of heaven being the place that we go when we die and that the saints are currently in heaven.

Peace
[/quote]

Yes, it is a real physical body, but glorified. This glorification involves a change, but no one knows what the change involves.

For most of us, this will occur at the end of the world. There have been exceptions, like Jesus at his Ascenion, Mary at her Assumption, Elijiah when ascended in a flaming chariot, and a number of people who rose after Jesus was crucified (Matt 27:52).

Most of the saints currently in heaven are there only as their souls. They await the resurrection of their bodies.

[quote=Mr. Bean]so are we completely human without our bodies?

What is a soul?
[/quote]

Good question! Pulled out my copy of *The Teaching of Christ. *It defines the soul as the “spiritual principle of each man that makes hiim the living flesh that he is.”

The sense is that the soul is what animates the flesh of our body. Yet it adds: “Man is not composed of body and soul as though these were distinct beings, for man is not simply a soul which ‘has’ a body. Body and soul make a single living person.”

So, I can see how you might question whether a soul without a body is fully human. My take is this: we pass through normal phases of development. It is normal to die. Death is the separation of body and soul. After death, until the Resurrection, there is no longer any body for the soul to animate, so it is all that is left of the human person. Just like we are fully human while alive possessing body and soul, we are fully human after death possessing only our soul.

Hi Mr. Bean,

so are we completely human without our bodies?

A human being is a composite of body and soul. When the soul leaves the body, it is incomplete in the sense that it is “ordained” to the body, made to be with it. What are the faculties of the soul in this state, is hard for us to detemine, but we know for sure that it is able to enjoy God.

If you wish to delve into this further you can read St.Thomas Aquinas (Summa Theologica) by clicking
ccel.org/a/aquinas/summa/FP/FP089.html#FPQ89OUTP1

Verbum

In Rev 6, we have the souls of them that have been slain for christ calling out for vengence. In II Cor 12, Paul is caught up to paradise and Rev 4, John was taken up to heaven. So, whatever part of their body or soul went to heaven those days…

But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?” You foolish man! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. And what you sow is not the body which is to be, but a bare kernel. . . . What is sown is perishable, what is raised is imperishable. . . . The dead will be raised imperishable. . . . For this perishable nature must put on the imperishable, and this mortal nature must put on immortality.

1 Cor 15:35-37,42,52,53.

Catechism of the Catholic Church

ARTICLE 11
**“I BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION OF THE BODY” **

Okay see here is where I am confused. See when Jesus resurected his physical body was gone (ie the tomb was empty) but his ressurected body was not a physical body as we know it. First it was not hindered by space or time. Second, the disciples did not reconize him until he opened their eyes and hearts (ex. breaking of the bread, calling them by name, etc). If it was Jesus’ physical body (the one he had before and during the Passion) how could have these things be possible. Jesus did not do any of this while he was alive. So did Jesus recieve a new glorified body, or was it the same old physical body? And if Jesus’ resurection is a sign of our own then a physical (same body that is conquered by death) resurection, does not make much sence. I have believed in a physical ressurection most of my life but now my thoughts are being callenged by my fiance and Joseph Cardina Ratzinger’s (Pope Benedict XVI) book Introduction to Christianity.

Perhaps the our common asuption about the person, body, and soul are different from the early Christians. I don’t know what to think but I would like to hear someone else’s thoughts. Especially those who have read Ratzinger’s book.

Peace

It was His same body, but glorified.
It had the same puncture wounds from the nails and spear.
As for recognition of the resurrected body of Christ.
Your soul in heaven has the same nose you have on earth.
But your resurrected nose would be the ultimate perfection in attractiveness of its original design, as your spiritual nose [in heaven] must be the ultimate in perfect design and attractiveness - as nothing bad can exist in heaven.

“What is sown is perishable, what is raised is imperishable.”

The mortal physical body of Jesus came out of the tomb glorified and imperishable.

Men’s physical bodies will also be raised from their tombs at the end of the world when men’s bodies are reunited with their immortal souls. The bodies raised from the grave will be tranformed from perishable to impersishable at the second coming.

The imperishable body that we will have at the end of the time depends on whether we are going to dwell in the new creation or the lake of fire. Some will receive glorified bodies for eternal life in the new creation, and some will receive imperishable bodies for eternal death in the lake of fire where their bodies will be eternally eaten by the worm that never dies. (Mark 9:48)

So what is the point of our souls seperating from us at death? This does not sound like what is represented in the Bible. This sounds more like Greek Philosophy (especially Platoism).

Peace

I’m doing some Catholic Home Study courses and I finished reading recently a section on The Second Coming of Christ and The Last Judgement.
Basically “the Church has not made a dogmatic statement on the exact meaning of the passges describing the end of the world or the final judgement…We don’t know how the world will end. We leave this in God’s hands and trust that God, with divine wisdom and power will transform the universe into a new heaven and new earth.
Nor does the Church define exacly what is meant by the expression that Jesus will gather his elect at the end of time…
the resurrection of the body on the last day does not mean the reassembly of the atoms which formed our mortal body on this earth. The essential meaning of the resurrection of the body may be that our risen bodies will have a new relationship to the universe once time on earth is through.”

Hi Mr Bean,

So what is the point of our souls seperating from us at death? This does not sound like what is represented in the Bible.

I don’t undersand the nature of your difficulty. Would you mind elaborating?

Verbum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.