Body and Blood

Just wondering, does everyone hear take the Body AND the Blood? or just the Body? When I was younger my mom wouldn’t let me take the blood, just looking to see if anyone else is the same way

In Him,
Britty

Well… I choose both…
When at Mass, I will mainly recieve the Host, and will only recieve the Wine at Christmas, Easter, Holy Days, ect…
Since the Host itself is both the Body and Blood of Christ, as is the Wine…

I have always received both the Body and the Blood. Although it is true that you can receive Jesus fully in either species, I have always followed Jesus’ instructions…

26While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.” 27And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you; 28for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.

It seems Jesus instucted us to partake in both the body and the blood. He didnt say we could choose from either, or because he was present in both. I’m not sure if there is much room for interpretation.

Just my thoughts…

most of the Catholic’s I know all recieve from both species, when available, as do I

I receive only the body,but i have asked somome on the parish council to bring up the issue,i think it may change:thumbsup:

In the Eastern Catholic Church, the Precious Body and Blood is given out together on a spoon tipped onto your tongue. It would be EXTREMELY rare to just recieve just one to the two species.

I receive under both species.

Someone else will bring this up if I don’t. Even under one species, you receive the body and the blood (soul and divinity).

A better question would have been bread or wine, not body or blood since the host contains both the body AND the blood, as does the chalice.

Also since there are people like my dad who can’t have any alcohol he can only take the host. There are even some priests who can’t drink any alcohol and they are given permission to use grape juice.

Most certainly I take both Body and Blood. Why? Well Jesus instructed at the Last Supper to take both His Flesh and Blood. That holy ceremony with the apostles applies to us as well. And why not take advantage of the oppourtunity to take Him into your body in every way possible? Through the Eucharist we become closer to Him. Granted when I am ill, I do not partake out of courtesy to others - but every other time I am able YES!!!.

[quote=Edwin1961]In the Eastern Catholic Church, the Precious Body and Blood is given out together on a spoon tipped onto your tongue. It would be EXTREMELY rare to just recieve just one to the two species.
[/quote]

In the Byzantine rite it is; however, in the Maronite rite it is by intincture.

[quote=Petertherock]Also since there are people like my dad who can’t have any alcohol he can only take the host. There are even some priests who can’t drink any alcohol and they are given permission to use grape juice.
[/quote]

Actually, to be technically correct, it is not grape juice (which has not been fermented) but mustum, which has been fermented only a very small amount, and the fermentation process is stopped. There is barely a detectable trace of alcohol, not enough to cause an alcoholic a problem.

First of all, I don’t **take **the Body and Blood of Christ, I **receive **the Body and Blood of Christ.

Secondly, when we receive the host, we receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ. And when we drink from chalice, we receive the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ.

In other words, whether we receive Jesus under the form of bread or under the form of wine, we receive Jesus entirely.

Chris,

I agree with you fully, although Jesus does use the word “take” when instructing his apostles at the Last Supper (“Take, eat, this is my body…”). I also believe he is to be recieved. Just a matter of semantics…

Secondly, and this is just a question, but when did it become acceptable to receive one or the other? As I stated in an earlier post for this thread, Jesus instructs his apostles to partake in both the body and the blood. He did not say we could choose between either. My question is when did this become an acceptable practice in the Church? I’m pretty sure the earlier apostles and Christians received him fully under both species, so where did the fork in the road come about where we decided we could just choose which one we wanted to “take”?

Please let me know what you think.

In the Archdiocese of Sydney, we aren’t offered the wine. Porbably because of hygeine problems and/or the fear of the precious blood being spilt…

I have only recieved the wine once since it was stopped, and that was in a private mass for my Antioch weekend retreat. I was surprised that we were offered it!!!

[quote=Petertherock]Also since there are people like my dad who can’t have any alcohol he can only take the host. There are even some priests who can’t drink any alcohol and they are given permission to use grape juice.
[/quote]

Ah, thank you. Being unable to drink alcohol myself, I’ve asked the question of what a priest in that position would do, and didn’t get an answer… That makes it clear. Thanks :slight_smile:

Mike

[quote=otm]Actually, to be technically correct, it is not grape juice (which has not been fermented) but mustum, which has been fermented only a very small amount, and the fermentation process is stopped. There is barely a detectable trace of alcohol, not enough to cause an alcoholic a problem.
[/quote]

Well, it’s not just alcoholics. There are various medical conditions that require complete abstention from alcohol.

Interesting though. I’d never heard of ‘mustum’.

Mike

I receive both when they are available, which at our Church, is usually on special occassions and so forth.

I wasn’t allowed to receive it until after my Confirmation however, aged 12, as both the priest and teachers in my school insisted that unless you were this age you were not allowed to do so. I thought, at the time it was something our school had said, but in recent years, I have heard the priest address the congregation before Communion and say the same thing1

I didn’t vote because the option I would have picked was not there.

When I attend the Divine Liturgy I recieve both, as is normal as the Eucharist is given under intinction.

When I attend a Mass, sometimes I recieve both, sometimes only the Host.

But something just came to mind.

No matter how you recieve you are recieveing both the Body and the Blood as Christ is wholly present in either species.

So in reality, if you recieve the Eucharist, you are recieveing both the Body and the Blood.

i receive both. at some masses i’ve been to, they dip the body in the blood, which i thought wasn’t allowed anymore. but they did it! also, in some churches they don’t let the congregation receive the wine, only the bread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.