Body & Blood of Jesus

I have talked to two very close friends of Protestant faiths who say they believe they can change bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus. Has anyone else heard this. By the way, I am a cradle Catholic so I vehemently disagree with them.

Tell them to prove it.

We cant prove it either. It is a matter of faith.

You are right to disagree with them. It is bordering on the blasphemous really for them to claim that.

Even if we didn’t have certain miracles of the Eucharist, as a Catholic I believe because Jesus said it and He can’t lie. Jesus said it, I believe it, that settles it for me at least.

What is there reasoning behind this belief?

That’s pretty much why I started this thread. I have no idea except that many churches today have no one other than the pastor with any authority. The pastor goes to a few theology classes, starts a church and everyone follows him like lemmings.

If they are close friends, then remember not to quench their spirit. However, do test them.

Tell them why you believe that only Catholic priests can do so. There is a verse about the laying on of hands of the presbytery which is how tbis gict is passed down.

1 Timothy 4:14
Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

Then listen to their answer. Then tell them why you believe in the Catholic Church. I like to use Matt 28:18-20 to support that.

I forgot. First pray for them. And after that, study and pray for them again.

There are many Protestant faith traditions that believe they have the Real Presence and many that do not. As Catholics, we believe their ordinations are invalid (no Apostolic Succession), therefore, they can’t confect the Eucharist. Those that believe in their own version of Real Presence include Lutherans, Anglicans/Episcopalians, some Methodists, and I’ve even heard of some churches of Christ (Campbellite). Most Evangelicals (Baptists, Pentecostals, etc) don’t believe in Real Presence.

Note: Most Orthodox Churches have valid ordinations and Eucharist. They aren’t considered Protestant, though.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.