Body piercings

OK. Have to get some CAF input on this...a co-worker of mine said she was allowing her 16-year-old to get a belly piercing. I was appalled and told her so; I associate those particular types of piercings with strippers...JMO. The co-worker said I was being a prude and, "No one will see it anyway (then why does she want it??), she doesn't wear cropped shirts. It's no different than getting your ears pierced. It will be a small piercing and it's just for fun."

I still don't think it's appropriate but I can't really pinpoint why it bothers me so much. Thus, I wasn't able to provide her a decent argument for not doing it. What does anyone else think? Am I being a prude? Are piercings just no big deal?

Check out this link, perhaps it will help you articulate your thoughts on this matter.

cuf.org/faithfacts/details_view.asp?ffid=233

Regardless of the top that the daughter wears, this would be plainly visible, if no where else but at a swimming pool. I would remark to the mother that anything which detracts from her daughter’s beautiful face has the intention of drawing attention to other body parts and this is blatantly sexual in nature. Does this woman really want men’s eyes wandering to that area of her daughter’s body? When I explain to people the importance of the countenance, it seems to put a lot of modesty issues into an understandable light. Females may never truly understand this, but men do and that’s at the heart of the modesty issue. Next the daughter is might want a tattoo above her derriere. After the belly piercing, what is to stop that from happeninng, where can this mother draw the line? This lady needs help seeing the bigger picture, and she should imagine what she wants her daughter to be like in a few years. Ask her what sort of girls have pierced bodies, and if that’s what she wants her daughter to become. I doubt that Melinda Gates has a pieced belly. I’m all for a mother of teens to pick her battles carefully, but this should not be negotiable. The daughter can wait until she’s an adult and then decide for herself. Perhaps by then she will have come to her senses. You are a good friend for challenging her stance on this matter.

I'm not sure I see the problem :shrug: Does the Church forbid piercings? I've never heard that.

I also don't think its really any of your business. I know lots of girls with piercings, it doesn't make them bad people. I really don't see it as any different than an ear piercing.

[quote="Irish_Girl_68, post:1, topic:207264"]
OK. Have to get some CAF input on this...a co-worker of mine said she was allowing her 16-year-old to get a belly piercing. I was appalled and told her so; I associate those particular types of piercings with strippers...JMO. The co-worker said I was being a prude and, "No one will see it anyway (then why does she want it??), she doesn't wear cropped shirts. It's no different than getting your ears pierced. It will be a small piercing and it's just for fun."

I still don't think it's appropriate but I can't really pinpoint why it bothers me so much. Thus, I wasn't able to provide her a decent argument for not doing it. What does anyone else think? Am I being a prude? Are piercings just no big deal?

[/quote]

I had one when I was younger, but took it out when I was pregnant with DD. The only person that ever saw it was my then boyfriend/now husband. But body piercings weren't as popular as they are now and it was more a part of the grunge/alternative music scene.

I think it depends upon the person's lifestyle and how they conduct themselves out in public. Many strippers have tattoos or hair extensions or even color their hair, but so do many individuals that live a pretty modest and moral lifestyle. Same with body piercings. But if someone is flashy, and dresses immodestly then the body piercing is just going to add to the total trashy picture.

Why does the girl want a bellybutton piercing? (Why does anybody want one?)

Peer pressure?

[quote="mommamia, post:3, topic:207264"]
I'm not sure I see the problem :shrug: Does the Church forbid piercings? I've never heard that.

I also don't think its really any of your business. I know lots of girls with piercings, it doesn't make them bad people. I really don't see it as any different than an ear piercing.

[/quote]

I certainly don't judge this girl. She's a good person and I like her and her mom quite a lot. Also, I consider piercing morally neutral; it doesn't make you good or bad any more than a haircut does.

With that all said, people DO judge us on our appearance and by the things we do. If she were 25 and an adult? I wouldn't have said boo about it. But, with a 16 year old girl? Yes, I do feel an obligation to speak up. Why? Because I don't want people viewing her child in a negative, sexual way. Too outspoken on my part? Perhaps. Wrong? I don't think so.

The body has enough holes. And who in their right mind would want to go through that pain and risk infection for another one? Virtually all the people I know, that's a lot, that have piercings besides ear rings lead lives full of divorce, single parenting, promiscuity, etc...

You're supposed to go to the circus, not bring it into your home or your body. It is no coincidence that this practice has become mainstream at the same time that morals have skipped town.

And if a belly piercing is just for fun, why not a nipple piercing, or a tongue, or a nose, or anything? Why judge, right?

[quote="Nec5, post:7, topic:207264"]
The body has enough holes. And who in their right mind would want to go through that pain and risk infection for another one? Virtually all the people I know, that's a lot, that have piercings besides ear rings lead lives full of divorce, single parenting, promiscuity, etc...

You're supposed to go to the circus, not bring it into your home or your body. It is no coincidence that this practice has become mainstream at the same time that morals have skipped town.

And if a belly piercing is just for fun, why not a nipple piercing, or a tongue, or a nose, or anything? Why judge, right?

[/quote]

The most promiscuous woman I've ever known personally didn't even have pierced ears and rarely wore any makeup.

I disagree with most of the respondents.

I have a fair number of piercings and I consider myself a pretty modest, moral person. None except my ear piercings are visable (I usually wear one-piece bathing suits, which hide the navel piercing) to anyone by my husband.

I had my navel pierced when I was 14 (not condoned by my parents) and got most of the rest (aside from the first 2 ear piercings) when I was 20-21.

My husband doesn't care one way or the other, so long as my piercings and tattoos (I also have two of those) aren't visable to others and don't interfere with my ability to get a respectable job, which they don't.

I fail to see how piercings and tattoos (most of which shouldn't be visable to others if one is dressed modestly in the first place) can be anything but morally neutral. Sure there are a lot of shady characters that have them, but like a previous respondent said, there are a lot of shady characters who dye their hair also, does that mean that hair dye is inherently immoral? I'm sure they also eat at McDonald's occasionally, does that make McDonald's immoral?

As to why one would want a piercing like that in the first place, I got it because I thought it looked cool. I liked to look at it (which I guess could be construed as vanity if you're really that serious) and I still think it looks cute. I'm sad that I'll have to take it out in a few months when my PG belly starts growing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.