Boehner plans lawsuit against Obama over executive orders

Washington (CNN) – House Speaker John Boehner Wednesday told reporters that he plans to sue President Barack Obama over his use of executive action.

“I am,” the Speaker said when asked if he was planning to initiate a lawsuit.

“You know the constitution makes it clear that the president’s job is to faithfully execute the laws and in my view the President has not faithfully executed the laws,” Boehner added at a news conference on Capitol Hill.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/24/boehner-considering-lawsuit-against-obama-over-executive-orders/

another story about it:
House to file lawsuit accusing President Obama of failing to carry out laws, House Speaker John Boehner says apne.ws/1pODJSU

This should be interesting…a legal confrontation between two branches of the government.

Another reason we need less lawyers running for public office, regardless of what party they belong to.:shrug::eek:

And a completely partisan legal confrontation at that. Boehner has never expressed an issue with executive orders in all of his years in Congress before now.

While Obama has had his ups and downs the last 6 years and a job approval rating in the low 40s. Given that Congress has a 13% job approval rating, you’d think you’d hear more complaints about Congress in the news than Obama.

If you want to know why your Federal Government is not working well; look at your Legislative Branch. Bi-partisan silliness like this is why so little has gotten done…oppose, don’t compromise, distract is this branch’s endless tactic.

That is the way our system works and has worked from the beginning. When not prevented, and the legislative branch allows it, the President (executive) slowly takes too much power, and it has to shift back to a more normal mode. That happens in a number of ways. This is one of them.

That is what is called checks and balances. The courts can’t act unless there is a suit by someone. I am sure Obama lectured on it the classes he taught.

It is usually someone from the opposing political party that files these suits, although during the FDR years he took so much power that people in his own party filed the suits.

Obama has used devices of power that his predecessors have used.

This fight, on both sides, will only make politics more confrontational in the future.

The change in the Senate rules over filibuster will come back to haunt the Democrats. This new fight will go into unexplored territory and invite future political retaliation.

Some would say over used.

This fight, on both sides, will only make politics more confrontational in the future.

Politics today is childs-play compared to what it was like in the 1800s and early 1900s.

The change in the Senate rules over filibuster will come back to haunt the Democrats. This new fight will go into unexplored territory and invite future political retaliation.

nothing new here.

Some would be wrong.

It seems to me that this lawsuit is a waste of time. It isn’t likely to go anywhere. Congress via the Senate already has a remedy for disposing of useless Presidents. They are just choosing not to use said remedy.

It is argued that it isn’t the quantity. It is the fact that Obama is ignoring the laws passed by congress.

We shall see what the Judicial branch says on the matter…

It requires 2/3rds of the Senate, there is no way will the Senate impeach the President.

Anyway, the goal here isn’t to kick Obama out; it is to get him to enforce the laws already passed by the Legislature.

Waste of time? We shall see. It is one of the remedies allowed by our system of government.

Presidents have been doing that with signing statements since James Monroe. Why wasn’t Boehner screeching about this when Bush was using them as a line item veto?

I predict the judicial branch will either refuse to hear it or smack Boehner down.

Compared to President Harrison (0) he is an Executive Order writing lunatic. Compared to Roosevelt (3,522) he’s rather conservative.

What in the world is the legislative branch doing? Do they realize that their approval rating is like 10% or some ridiculously awful number like that? Can they stop wasting their time and get something done instead of blowing our tax dollars on stupid lawsuits like this? Do we all forget Bush 2’s tenure? Republicans were for the imperial presidency before they were against it, and Democrats against it before they were for it, apparently. I don’t care if you want to dismantle government. Then by all means, go ahead and do that, great. Stop wasting time with bogus crud like this lawsuit.

Like I mentioned before Roosevelt got in trouble with the Legislature as well (and it was held by the Dems at the time!)

Interesting to note that the majority of responders to this thread are against this lawsuit.
I for one am completely for it – anything to put the brakes on the agenda that Obama himself avowed: a path of radical change for this country, and in a direction that is clearly away from the vision of the founding fathers.

Because they recognize it’s a waste of time and completely hypocritical.

I think the responders on this thread make it seem like this is a casual, commonplace thing that just takes place every now and then. No I think this is happening because there’s a major problem here. Things are out of control with this president where there is just way too much government leadership right now. They get us all worked up about all kinds of “issues” that people feel like the sky is falling and we need all sorts of special guidance or else chaos will erupt. Can’t they just go away?

It’s hypocritical to react to the most radical executive that’s ever inhabited the White House?

Why should congress “get something done” if the President will ignore “something” he doesn’t want.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.