Boehner to Bashing Beatle: Apologize!

The incident in which McCartney insulted Bush was discussed at the following thread, but since it did not contain a news link, that thread was closed. I'll reference that thread here to begin this thread.

Paul McCartney insinuates President Bush is dumb...
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=463804

"Boehner to Bashing Beatle: Apologize!

Sir Paul McCartney's cheap shot aimed at former President George W. Bush at a White House event on Wednesday has prompted House Minority Leader John Boehner to demand an apology from the Beatle. "...

Entire article here: humanevents.com/article.php?id=37350

It never ceases to amaze me how some singers and actors think that because they can sing a few notes or recite some dialogue, they're transformed into political experts and everyone wants to hear their words of wisdom.
McCartney should apologize to the American people...what he said was totally uncalled for. As a person who never advanced past a high school education, he shouldn't be throwing stones. :mad:
The "Cute One" isn't very cute anymore...

Money and fame cannot buy class. Sir Paul was out of line.

[quote="livnlern, post:2, topic:200725"]
It never ceases to amaze me how some singers and actors think that because they can sing a few notes or recite some dialogue, they're transformed into political experts and everyone wants to hear their words of wisdom.

[/quote]

Power corrupts. Fame is a type of power. The ability to get people to listen to you on subjects about which you know nothing and to applaud you whatever you say, is a kind of power you get when you are famous, and people abuse it.

So I agree that it happens, but I'm not particularly amazed at it. ;)

[quote="livnlern, post:2, topic:200725"]
McCartney should apologize to the American people...what he said was totally uncalled for. As a person who never advanced past a high school education, he shouldn't be throwing stones. :mad:
The "Cute One" isn't very cute anymore...

[/quote]

It was completely gratuitous and irrelevant and he had to wrench his statement around practically in a knot to get the insult in--it was that important to him and that inappropriate.

OTOH, why do we care enough to ask for an apology? It's not like he's actually important. And (to show that I too can engage in irrelevant ad hominem attacks) did anyone else find his hair colo(u)r in the clip to be a bit...erm...unlikely?

It seems to me that the best response to him would be for us to raise a single figurative eyebrow at him and observe an icy silence on the matter, changing the subject as soon as possible. That's what I'd do if a foreigner said that in my home. It seems like that should be what we do as a country when a foreigner said it in our country's "House."

--Jen

i had heard a little of the controversy, but didn't really follow the story that much to know what paul had said.

i think he was very rude coming to our country and being awarded an honor and then to make a remark like he did. he is classless and is trying to be seen as "cool" if you ask me,

paul was never my favorite beatle anyway. and he seems very irrelevant in this day and age.

Did his swami tell him to say that, or did he come up with it all by himself?

Who cares what he said? I don't.

The Paul McCartney "impersonator" I'm married too would 100% disagree with the real thing. He says many great things about President Bush, and most importantly, God and The Church. :D

I posted this on a separate thread, but it works here too regarding McCartney's cluelessness. Since they love Obama so much in Europe, they can have him.

"Obama loses the Left: suddenly, it's cool to bash Barack

Europe still worships him and Washington's Obamatrons remain smitten, but former supporters are turning on the President, writes Toby Harnden.

Well, at least he's still got Sir Paul McCartney. At the White House last week, the 67-year-old crooner was gushing in much the same manner as his own groupies did at Shea Stadium in 1965. "I'm a big fan, he's a great guy," McCartney told American critics of President Barack Obama. "So lay off him, he's doing great."

Later, McCartney serenaded the First Lady with a rendition of Michelle and, receiving a prize from the Library of Congress, took a cheap shot at President George W Bush that was as unfunny as it was unoriginal. “After the last eight years, it’s great to have a president who knows what a library is.” Bush. Doesn’t read books. Stupid. Geddit? "...

Entire article: telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/7805775/Obama-loses-the-Left-suddenly-its-cool-to-bash-Barack.html

Don't like McCartney
Never liked "Wings".
Can't even look at Bush.
So, who cares? :p

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:9, topic:200725"]
I posted this on a separate thread, but it works here too regarding McCartney's cluelessness. Since they love Obama so much in Europe, they can have him"...

Entire article: telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/7805775/Obama-loses-the-Left-suddenly-its-cool-to-bash-Barack.html

[/quote]

Good article!
Even Spike Lee can see the downside of Obama's limited ability to project emotion:

"Bemoaning Obama's passivity after the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, the director Spike Lee thundered: "He's very calm, cool, collected. But, one time, go off! If there's any one time to go off, this is it, because this is a disaster."
This is the same Spike Lee who once described Obama's election as a "seismic" change that represented "a better day not only for the United States but for the world".

Here is a list of symptoms of a Narcissistic personality (from the Google Health website):

A person with narcissistic personality disorder:

* Reacts to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
* Takes advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals
* Has feelings of self-importance
* Exaggerates achievements and talents
* Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love
* Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
* Requires constant attention and admiration
* Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
* Has obsessive self-interest
* Pursues mainly selfish goals

Many of these symptoms seem to match Mr. Obama's personality and may explain why he acts the way he does.

[quote="catsrus, post:10, topic:200725"]
Don't like McCartney
Never liked "Wings".
Can't even look at Bush.
So, who cares? :p

[/quote]

My feelings exactly!

When one is part of a group that sings songs that glorify the drug cutlure like "Hey Jude' that made main-lining H sound cutsy...is hardly the one to be expected to be civilized. How many impressionable young kids ruined their lives listening to such evil songs only God knows and He cant be fooled! Jesus warned us this earth is not His kingdom and He was sooooo right!...........Pas

Hang tough, Paul. You've a right to say anything you want, especially when you're correct. :D Did you only insinuate that Bush was dumb? Your gift for understatement is amazing. And as for John Boehner...care to go 2-for-2 Paulie?

It's fair to point out that George Bush himself was circulating the message that he was no intellectual and that his wife was the big reader in the family.

Helps win the Working Stiff/Joe Sixpack vote.

His dad did the same political stunt with publicly disavowing broccoli.

I'm not surprised someone would that Bush at his word.

[quote="John_Pascendi, post:13, topic:200725"]

When one is part of a group that sings songs that glorify the drug cutlure like "Hey Jude' that made main-lining H sound cutsy...is hardly the one to be expected to be civilized. How many impressionable young kids ruined their lives listening to such evil songs only God knows and He cant be fooled! Jesus warned us this earth is not His kingdom and He was sooooo right!...........Pas

[/quote]

Hey Jude wasn't about drugs, it was about John's son Julian. Check out the book Hard Days Write with the stories about each Beatles song.

Any billionaire who would marry gold-digger Heather Mills without even the benefit of a prenuptial deserves to have his name added to Websters as a new definition of dumb.....

oops wait, I guess Webster already took care of that.:rolleyes:

;) apologies to Webster if I may have inadvertnely misquoted them in any way.

[quote="Darryl1958, post:17, topic:200725"]
Any billionaire who would marry gold-digger Heather Mills without even the benefit of a prenuptial deserves to have his name added to Websters as a new definition of dumb.....

oops wait, I guess Webster already took care of that.:rolleyes:

;) apologies to Webster if I may have inadvertnely misquoted them in any way.

[/quote]

Have you heard of the Paul diet? Marry the wrong woman and lose 24 million pounds. :D

[quote="gmarie21, post:16, topic:200725"]
Hey Jude wasn't about drugs, it was about John's son Julian. Check out the book Hard Days Write with the stories about each Beatles song.

[/quote]

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was all about LSD though, right?

What about Norwegian Wood—marijuana?

The Beatles were very much a part of the 1960's drug scene. They were looked up to by many young people of the era. they were the coolest so the cool, and they made the drug scene seem cool to many of us.

I imply no evil intent on their behalf, even though the effects wrought enormous evil. It was just the kind of dumb behavior that defined the times, and our societies are still paying the price for that dumbness to this day.

[quote="revert_jen, post:4, topic:200725"]
Power corrupts. Fame is a type of power. The ability to get people to listen to you on subjects about which you know nothing and to applaud you whatever you say, is a kind of power you get when you are famous, and people abuse it.

So I agree that it happens, but I'm not particularly amazed at it. ;)

It was completely gratuitous and irrelevant and he had to wrench his statement around practically in a knot to get the insult in--it was that important to him and that inappropriate.

OTOH, why do we care enough to ask for an apology? It's not like he's actually important. And (to show that I too can engage in irrelevant ad hominem attacks) did anyone else find his hair colo(u)r in the clip to be a bit...erm...unlikely?

It seems to me that the best response to him would be for us to raise a single figurative eyebrow at him and observe an icy silence on the matter, changing the subject as soon as possible. That's what I'd do if a foreigner said that in my home. It seems like that should be what we do as a country when a foreigner said it in our country's "House."

--Jen

[/quote]

Kind of reminds me of Tom Cruise's uneducated rant against psychiatry.
No education but total conviction that he has all the answers.

So much for the benefits of "fame."
Maybe it breeds arrogance?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.