Bongo drums, Mass, and when not to receive Communion

Hi everyone…so last night I went with my young adult group to a special Mass for young adults. It’s a recurring youth event and it is a lot of fun, we have been to it many times. THe music is usually tolerable (guitar or keyboard, which is not my choice, but it’s not too obnoxious). However last night was crazy. We had lovely Adoration and sang Tantum Ergo, but then for the Mass they had this three person band right up front, three feet fro me, with speakers blaring, with keyboard, guitar, and this bongo drum that had fur and a tribal carving on it. The music was played in an almost show-tune kind of way,and really detracted from the Mass. It was awful…and we had along an 18 year old girl who did not even go to Communion because she was so upset.

I plan on emailing the priest about this…my question is regarding receiving Communion if one is very upset. I received anyway because I have been taught that the only time you should refrain is if you know you are in mortal sin, and that it would be a mortal sin to not receive while at Mass if you are in a state of grace. Is this correct? Or should I not have received either, and if so, was this a sin? (Also, if anyone has tips on how to write the priest about this in a charitable manner that still gets the point across, I would appreciate that too.)

Thank you in advance!

It is never a sin not to receive communion at Mass. You only “have to” receive communion once a year. There was a time when very few people received communion and that is why that rule was made. I have refrained from receiving communion because something annoyed me while at mass, but I don’t think that is a sin. It is more like not being in the right frame of mind to receive.

Ok, thank you…does this mean I should not receive tomorrow unless I can make it to confession today?

I guess what you are asking is: is it a sin to receive Communion at an irreverent Mass? Not at all. As long as you were in a state of sanctifying grace and had refrained from food and drink (except water and medicine) for an hour before the time you received Communion, then I don’t see how it can be a sin.

Just remember that even in the most irreverent Mass littered with liturgical abuse and horrendous music, Jesus Christ is still there. As the congregation chat in the pews after Mass and before Mass and the “band” set up for what looks like a rock concert, Jesus Christ, the eternal High Priest, the King of the Universe, our God, is truly and substantially present in the Tabernacle.

I’m glad that the young people you were with were shocked by this nonsense, an so they should be! Please God it will end soon.

God Bless

Thank you! I am wondering though, since I was angry, and received anyway, was it a sin to receive while in that state of mind?

Our feelings are not “sin”. What we do with our feelings can be sinful.

You felt angry, but that is not a sin.

You did not committ a sin when you went to communion angry at the music you heard or angry at the musicians who most likely thought they were praising God through their music.

On writing to the priest…Can you speak with him after the next Mass, just to say the blaring music distracted you from worship? Can you speak with the musicians to say the music was too loud?

There is no sin in not receiving communion. You need only receive once a year.

Weekly attendance at mass is required, but weekly receiving is not.

There is no sin in not receiving communion. You need only receive once a year.

Weekly attendance at mass is required, but weekly receiving is not.

No.

Who would choose to not receive communion if they are able to? The Eucharist keeps us strong spiritually and helps us ward off sin. I love receiving communion. I attend mass every chance I get. I often find that on the busy weeks where I don’t have a chance to attend daily mass as much as I’d like to, I am more likely to sin. Just my :twocents: :slight_smile:

The other folks on CAF have posted some good advice, but I just wanted to add a side note… Frequently, I get EXTREMELY annoyed at mass by certain individuals who seem to have no consideration for those around them in the pews. Specifically, these individuals either talk throughout mass or allow their children to do anything they want without restraint (or both).

One thing I have found to be effective: I use prayer to help me deal with distractions like this. Something to the effect of: “Dear heavenly Father, please clear my mind and thoughts of distractions during today’s mass, so that I may fully focus my heart and mind on worshiping you.” It might sound simplistic, but it DOES work. Give it a shot next time something like this happens during mass.

God bless,
Dean

Ok, thank you. I feel better now as it seems unanimous that it was not a sin. Yes, I understand that the band felt they were praising God, but it was just not appropriate. It was three grown men playing the instruments, and they were very jarring and too jazzy and show tune-like for a Mass.

Unfortunately not, as this event is in a parish that is not my home parish and is a bit of a difficult drive to get to. I pretty much have to email him. I almost said something after Mass, but I know that it must take effort for them to organize these events…I did not want to be rude and decided I would send an email. But if this band is going to be a regular occurence, I don’t want to attend the event anymore.

Thank you. I tried to pretend they weren’;t there for most of it. It’s just sad because I could have gone to a couple of other Masses for All Souls which I know would have been better, but I wanted to go to this special event with the group…I was expecting it to be perfectly fine, this was very odd.

We all have our preference of music style for Mass. Please do not be disappointed if the priest or musicians feel this style is acceptable for Mass.

Unless it goes against Church teachings on music for Mass, it is acceptable for them to worship in this manner.

However, even if it is acceptable, if they hear from enough people who did not think it was reverent for Mass, maybe the musicians will make changes.

After you write your letter to Father, let it sit a few days on your computer to make sure you have worded it with charity before sending. He will see the kindness in your message.

[quote="emeraldocean, post:1, topic:303978"]
Hi everyone...so last night I went with my young adult group to a special Mass for young adults. It's a recurring youth event and it is a lot of fun, we have been to it many times. THe music is usually tolerable (guitar or keyboard, which is not my choice, but it's not too obnoxious). However last night was crazy. We had lovely Adoration and sang Tantum Ergo, but then for the Mass they had this three person band right up front, three feet fro me, with speakers blaring, with keyboard, guitar, and this bongo drum that had fur and a tribal carving on it. The music was played in an almost show-tune kind of way,and really detracted from the Mass. It was awful...and we had along an 18 year old girl who did not even go to Communion because she was so upset.

I plan on emailing the priest about this...my question is regarding receiving Communion if one is very upset. I received anyway because I have been taught that the only time you should refrain is if you know you are in mortal sin, and that it would be a mortal sin to not receive while at Mass if you are in a state of grace. Is this correct? Or should I not have received either, and if so, was this a sin? (Also, if anyone has tips on how to write the priest about this in a charitable manner that still gets the point across, I would appreciate that too.)

Thank you in advance!

[/quote]

Well, from what I understand with a discussion with my friend who is now a priest, one would really have to almost try to screw up mass, and the disposition of the person giving you the sacrament or leading the Celebration could will not affect whether or not you can go.

If you notice something not done properly during the Mass in terms of procedure, then perhaps its time to discuss whether or not to go there again and bring it to the attention of the priest or the local bishop.

Otherwise, I think its a personal choice as to which mass to attend, and the Church (I admit, I do give Her credit for this) is very open to diversity in terms of music, style ect.

The only time I would tell a Catholic to refrain from Communion is

**1) Being in a state of mortal sin

2) Not observing the hour fasting rule. **

You can certainly discuss this with the priest, just make sure you are professional in your communication.

I would suggest that if the situation is not resolved to your satisfaction to maybe find a new Mass with a more regular tone. It's really not good to be distracted at Mass.

It may just come down to a matter of preference.

Its not a requirement. It was more common to not receive when the Eucharistic fast was overnight.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.