Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

http://payingattentiontothesky.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/martin-luther.jpg?w=450&h=640

More than anything else, Eric Metaxas in *Bonhoeffer Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy *relates the decline of Lutherism and the danger of state Churches that merge a cultural or national identity with a Christian faith. I also couldn’t help but read the story in terms with our American century, the decline in my own lifetime of the Church in the Public Square here in the States with the rise of fascism in Germany in between the wars. I kept replaying the questions of “How could this happen?” with “How does this compare with now?” the smothering of the Church and Christian morality by the American secular state.

Reading selections and a reflection here:

payingattentiontothesky.com/2010/12/14/no-one-really-knew-what-christianity-was-anymore/

A book review and the prologue from Bonhoeffer here:

payingattentiontothesky.com/2010/12/13/book-recommendation-bonhoeffer-pastor-martyr-prophet-spy-by-eric-metaxas/

dj

Social control achieved through one ruling body with military enforcement is their religion and power is their “higher power”.

People holding these belief systems will connive, deceive and even kill to hold onto that power.

Works well for third world countries but when it comes to Germany or the U.S. with vibrant Christian populations the simplicity doesn’t work for me. The reply becomes “Yes, but…” Perhaps if you read the book you might appreciate the complexity more.

dj

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.