'Boobies' bracelet school dispute could go to U.S. Supreme Court

In August, the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court's decision in favour of the girls, saying that the district didn't prove the bracelets are disruptive.

Superintendent John Reinhart told The Express-Times of Easton he supports the board's decision [to appeal to the Supreme Court].

"The Third Circuit Court has compromised administrators' abilities to intervene in what is and what is not appropriate in school," he said.

In court sessions, Reinhart had called the bracelets "cause-based marketing energized by sexual double-entendres."

Source

I have a soft spot for students who suffer under the boot of overreaching school administrations suppressing their free speech, but I lean toward the school board on this one.

It is about breast cancer.

I'm amazed that its reaching the SCOTUS.

[quote="stevendempster, post:3, topic:343618"]
I'm amazed that its reaching the SCOTUS.

[/quote]

Somehow I doubt that SCOTUS will take up this issue.

Just another reason why I refuse to support Susan Komen for the fraud …I mean cure.

Susan G. Komen doesn’t do the boobies bracelets, Keep A Breast does.

Susan Komen does do the boobies marketing as well, but perhaps not in this case. I honestly haven’t even followed this case this is my first time reading about it. I do still think Susan Komen is a fraudulent charity as well as a tacky one.

[quote="HoneyBea, post:7, topic:343618"]
Susan Komen does do the boobies marketing as well, but perhaps not in this case. I honestly haven't even followed this case this is my first time reading about it. I do still think Susan Komen is a fraudulent charity as well as a tacky one.

[/quote]

You are mistaken. Susan G. Komen does the survivors' bracelets. Keep A Breast does the boobies one. Susan G. Komen isn't even a partner for Keep A Breast. keep-a-breast.org/about/partners/ It has nothing to do with following the case, but knowing what charities do what.

As to the case, I think it is stupid. Schools should be worrying about a lot more than a breast cancer awareness bracelet.

I think you misunderstood me, because I didn’t explain myself well. I wasn’t referring specifically to the bracelets. My comments were in reference to the tacky marketing used by both Susan Komen and now it appears to be the same for the Keep A Breasts charity as well. Thanks for the links and info. God Bless : )

My son came home asking for one, I explained why it was not appropriate and he understood. End of story.

If people want to send their kids to school with silly, yet in approrpirate bracelets (or T-shirts, hats, cds, lunch boxes) that's up to them. I like when school have standards for what is appropirate for children. Those standards might be more/less depending on age (my son was 8; if he wants to wear a boobie bracelet at 15, might be a different story.)

But I dont think this has any business at SCOTUS.

What if there was an anti-bullying (pro-gay) campaign with slogan "PENIS mightier than the sword." You can make any stupid slogan you want, but, free speech or not, I dont have to let you plaster my kids with your dumb slogans.

[quote="HoneyBea, post:9, topic:343618"]
I think you misunderstood me, because I didn't explain myself well. I wasn't referring specifically to the bracelets. My comments were in reference to the tacky marketing used by both Susan Komen and now it appears to be the same for the Keep A Breasts charity as well. Thanks for the links and info. God Bless : )

[/quote]

Ahhh. Gotcha. :)

[quote="HoneyBea, post:7, topic:343618"]
Susan Komen does do the boobies marketing as well, but perhaps not in this case. I honestly haven't even followed this case this is my first time reading about it. I do still think Susan Komen is a fraudulent charity as well as a tacky one.

[/quote]

Agree!When I discovered that they are big supportor's of PP,to the extent that they donate large sums of $$$$$ to them,I realized how false their premise of eradicating breast cancer really is.Considering it has been shown that abortions may increase breast cancer risk,ironic,isn't it?!:eek:

[quote="Jeanne_S, post:12, topic:343618"]
Agree!When I discovered that they are big supportor's of PP,to the extent that they donate large sums of $$$$$ to them,I realized how false their premise of eradicating breast cancer really is.Considering it has been shown that abortions may increase breast cancer risk,ironic,isn't it?!:eek:

[/quote]

This is a great article about the scam that is the Susan Komen Foundation, well except for when the author of the article starts toting Burzynski, just ignore that part lol

butterbeliever.com/i-will-not-be-pinkwashed-why-i-do-not-support-susan-g-komen-for-the-cure/

Schools could avoid this by banning ALL bracelets.
What's next? I can just imagine the scatological possibilities for anti-prostate cancer bracelets.

Two words: Home School

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.