Book about discernment/Seminary life

I have never been able to find a non-fiction work about what a priest went through - starting in discernment, then selecting a seminary - or selecting which order to enter, etc. life in the seminary - and all that entails, and then perhaps the first year or so as a new priest. There was a book I read a couple years ago, but it was a light read and didn’t really expand on the details I was looking for. Any suggestions?

A couple of books off the top of my head:

God Underneath: Spiritual Memoirs of a Catholic Priest - Edward L. Beck. Here's Amazon's Edward L. Beck page: amazon.com/Edward-L.-Beck/e/B001ILIDFE/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

In Good Company: The Fast Track from the Corporate World to Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience - James Martin. Amazon's James Martin page: amazon.com/James-Martin/e/B002L09ZEY/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

[quote="kevinwinterborn, post:1, topic:225755"]
I have never been able to find a non-fiction work about what a priest went through - starting in discernment, then selecting a seminary - or selecting which order to enter, etc. life in the seminary - and all that entails, and then perhaps the first year or so as a new priest. There was a book I read a couple years ago, but it was a light read and didn't really expand on the details I was looking for. Any suggestions?

[/quote]

I would suggest:
[LIST=1]
*]The Collar
*]To Save a Thousand Souls
[/LIST]

I'd have to agree with Angel "To Save A Thousand Souls" by Fr. Brett Brannen is the perfect book if your discerning Diocesan Priesthood. It's an easy read full of helpful information about what the priesthood is and what seminary is like. God Bless!

vianneyvocations.com/book
vianneyvocations.com/tosaveathousandsouls/praise-brannen

"The Collar" - yeh - that is the one I was referring to. Read it. Thank you.

[quote="Angel_Bradford, post:3, topic:225755"]
I would suggest:
[LIST=1]
*]The Collar
*]To Save a Thousand Souls
[/LIST]

[/quote]

Thanks everyone - I will definitely look those up. Hopefully they are ebooks - I have a long trip to Asia soon - would like to take that along with me.!!

[quote="hxcCatholic413, post:4, topic:225755"]
I'd have to agree with Angel "To Save A Thousand Souls" by Fr. Brett Brannen is the perfect book if your discerning Diocesan Priesthood. It's an easy read full of helpful information about what the priesthood is and what seminary is like. God Bless!

vianneyvocations.com/book
vianneyvocations.com/tosaveathousandsouls/praise-brannen

[/quote]

[quote="kevinwinterborn, post:6, topic:225755"]
Thanks everyone - I will definitely look those up. Hopefully they are ebooks - I have a long trip to Asia soon - would like to take that along with me.!!

[/quote]

ya you can buy "To Save a Thousand Souls" on Amazon and Ebay as well. The book is about 250+ of pages and answered every questioned I had......I just got accepted into seminary and I owe a lot of the help from that book! God Bless!

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.