Book about Mary

Can y’all give me some suggestions as to a good book about Mary?
Thanks in advance,
Kathy

“Our Lady Of Fatima” by William Thomas Walsh.

Not sure it’s what your actually looking for because I think your looking for something about her life and the theology surrounding her rather than anything about her visitations, but it’s a great book.

Another one that I have in a simular vein is “Medjugorje: The Message” by Wayne Weible, but I havn’t finished reading it.

I also find “Our Lady Speaks to Her Beloved Priests” is an inspiring book too.

“True Devotion to Mary” by St. Louis de Montfort, maybe the best book about Virgin Mary.

“Mary of Nazareth” by Federico Suarez

I’m not sure what type of book you’re looking for so I’ll just recommend two that I have:

Refuting the Attack on Mary by Fr. Mateo

Hail, Holy Queen by Scott Hahn

Hail Holy Queen
By Dr. Scott Hahn.

My favorite book on Mary ( and i have read many) is The Life of Mary as told throught the Mystics. Thee mystics are 4 nuns who Mary appeared to and told them her life story. These nuns lived in the 1200s and where from very differnt parts of the world but yet all had the same story.

The other book is the City of God. Again a mystic and I also loved this book. Very insiteful. These two books changed my thinking completly about Mary and her life as A wife and mother

Sorry, I have to chime in here: I cannot recommend anything related to Medjugorje, especially if what you are looking for is what the Church teaches about Mary’s life and mission on Earth. All Medjugorje material is suspect, Weible is just another of the endless army of vendors making money off of this so-called apparition. Really, go with a history book, not any of the apparition narratives-- they are all based on private revelation and shouldn’t be used for catechesis.

Mary and the Christian Life (Scriptural Reflections on the First Disciple) by Amy Welborn. Here’s a sample chapter in pdf:

thewordamongus.net/products/ProdPDFs/bmcle8.pdf

Christ’s Mother and Ours you can order it online, it is superb (includes meditations on the mysteries of the Rosary) and it’s free!

True Devotion to Mary - wonderful book - must be reread several times for complete understanding. St. Louis de Montfort inspired several popes and is under consideration as a doctor of the church. Pope Leo XIII, Pope Pius X, Pope Pius XII and Pope John Paul II were influenced by him. It is reported that Pope John Paul II said that reading True Devotion to Mary was a decisive turning point in his life.

The Secret of the Rosary - a must have!! also bt St. Louis de Montfort. I would read it before True Devotion to Mary.

*Hail Mary full of Grace the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

yes as I noted in my post, it’s not nessecerily what the person is looking for. I simply found them interesting books myself. I think a good book to suggest on catechesis about Mary is the collection of Writings and Sermons delivered by Pope John Paul II entitled “Mother of the Church”.

I’m reading “The Virgin Mary in the Writings of Maria Valtorta” by Fr. Gabriel M. Roschini, OSM (1900-1977). Be advised that there is a great deal of controversy in the Church regarding Valtorta.

On the plus side, Pope John Paul II often referred to Father Gabriel M. Roschini as one of the greatest Marioligists who ever lived. He was a decorated professor at the “Marianum” Pontifical Faculty of Theology in Rome, and an advisor to the Holy Office. He wrote over 130 Books on the Blessed Mother, all of which are in the Vatican Library. The first two pages this of book contain a letter of endorsement by Pope Paul VI. Page one displays a photocopy of the original letter in Italian complete with Vatican insignia, and page two contains the English translation. Roschini considered this book his greatest.

The controversy stems from Valtorta’s writings being placed on the Forbidden book Index in 1960, the same day as Saint Faustina Kowalska’s Divine Mercy writings. In 1966, Pope Paul VI who was an advocate of Valtorta’s writings took the action of suppressing the Index of Forbidden Books, which liberated the writings from ecclesiastical restriction. When Pope Paul VI was Archbishop of Milan, after evaluating Valtorta’s writings, ordered her entire works to be sent to the Milan Seminary library.

"The Mariology found in all of Maria Valtorta’s writings, both published and unpublished has been a real discovery for me. No other Marian writings, not even the sum total of everything I have read and studied, were able to give me as clear, as vivid, as complete, as luminous, or as fascinating an image, both simple and sublime, of Mary, God’s Masterpiece " (Fr. Gabriel M. Roschini, OSM).

I don’t have to mention the negative side, as they will be quickly posted.

God Bless

Glories of Mary by St. Alphonsus of Liguori (I hope I get the title and author correct).

Hail, Holy Queen by Scott Hahn

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Another note about True Devotion to Mary. Polish Saint Maximilian Maria, who changed his name from Kolbe to Maria in devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, hid two thousand Jews in his friary and when taken to the Auschwitz Concentration camps offered to die in place of another person because that person had family and he did not. He was starved and dehydrated but continued to lead the men in songs and prayer. After three weeks of dehydration and starvation, only Kolbe and three others were still alive. Finally he was murdered with an injection of carbolic acid. jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Kolbe.html. St. Maximilian Maria was devoted to Mary in the way of True Devotion to Mary, and I once read that he even used to post excerpts of True Devotion to Mary on bilboards.

St. Therese of Liseux was also devoted to Mary according to True Devotion to Mary, and used to wear chains to symbolize her holy slavery to Mary (as St. Louis de Montfort recommended).

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

I would agree with many of the above posts and add The Seeker’s Guide To Mary by Maria Ruiz Scaperlanda.

Fr. Gabriel Roschini, O.S.M. was a world-renowned Mariologist, decorated professor and founder of the Marianum Pontifical Faculty of Theology in Rome in 1950 under Pope Pius XII, professor at the Lateran Pontifical University, and a Consultant to the Holy Office. During the pontificate of Pope Pius XII, he worked closely with the Vatican on Marian publications. He is considered by many to be the greatest Mariologist of the 20th century, was highly esteemed by all the Popes during his priestly life (especially Pope Pius XII), and was often referred to by Pope John Paul II as one of the greatest Mariologists who ever lived. He wrote over 130 truly orthodox/traditional books on the Blessed Mother, all of which are in the Vatican Library.

In his last book (which Father Gabriel said was his greatest), The Virgin Mary in the Writings of Maria Valtorta, the first two pages contain a letter of endorsement by Pope Paul VI. Page one displays a photocopy of the original letter in Italian complete with Vatican insignia, and page two contains the English translation.

You can view this letter (dated January 17, 1974) from the Secretary of State at the following link (scroll down to page 4 for the English translation and to page 5 for the original signed Italian letter):

Letter of Appreciation from Pope Paul VI to Gabriel Roschini for His Book The Virgin Mary in the Writings of Maria Valtorta

Fr. Gabriel Roschini, O.S.M., wrote in the preface of his last book, The Virgin Mary in the Writings of Maria Valtorta (395 pages):

I have been studying, teaching, preaching, and writing Mariology for half a century already. To do this, I had to read innumerable works and articles of all kinds on Mary: a real Marian library.

However, I must candidly admit that the Mariology found in all of Maria Valtorta’s writings – both published or unpublished – has been for me a real discovery. No other Marian writings, not even the sum total of everything I have read and studied, were able to give me as clear, as lively, as complete, as luminous, or as fascinating an image, both simple and sublime, of Mary, God’s Masterpiece.

It seems to me that the conventional image of the Blessed Virgin, portrayed by myself and my fellow Mariologists, is merely a paper mache Madonna compared to the living and vibrant Virgin Mary envisioned by Maria Valtorta, a Virgin Mary perfect in every way.

…whoever wants to know the Blessed Virgin (a Virgin in perfect harmony with the Holy Scriptures, the Tradition of the Church, and the Church Magisterium) should draw from Valtorta’s Mariology.

If anyone believes my declaration is only one of those ordinary hyperbolic slogans abused by publicity, I will say this only: let them read before they judge!

Fr. Roschini has written over 790 articles and miscellaneous writings, and 130 books, 66 of which were over 200 pages long. Most of his writings were devoted to Mariology.

For a theologian, such as Fr. Roschini, O.S.M., to be so well-read and so learned as to have written 130 totally orthodox books about Our Lady, and to be a decorated professor at the Marianum Pontifical Faculty of Theology in Rome (which he founded himself in 1950), an advisor to the Holy Office, and to be called by a Pope “one of the greatest Mariologists who ever lived”, it is not presumptuous to assume that he has probably read every single great work ever written about Our Lady – including Venerable Mary of Agreda’s Mystical City of God, the revelations of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich, the revelations about Our Lady given to St. Bridget of Sweden, and almost every single other major work about Our Lady. Yet – even so – Fr. Gabriel Roschini, O.S.M., declared: “No other Marian writings, not even the sum total of everything I have read and studied, were able to give me as clear, as lively, as complete, as luminous, or as fascinating an image, both simple and sublime, of Mary, God’s Masterpiece.” Such a declaration from such a theologian as he carries a lot of weight!

See my previous post about Gabriel Roschini. Now I want to clear up the controversy about Maria Valtorta’s The Poem of the Man-God:

The Poem of the Man-God is in actuality fully Church-approved. For complete details, check out this free research document, which can be downloaded here:

Poem of the Man-God Research Document (PDF)

The trailer for it is here:

Poem of the Man-God Research Document Trailer

I am a huge Valtorta fan and wrote this e-book about Maria Valtorta and the Poem of the Man-God which www.mariavaltortawebring.com has hosted on their home page for download and Douay-Rheims Bible Online (which has 70,000 visitors a year) has also hosted on their website.

This e-book is a comprehensive and well-researched guide to everything a Catholic needs to know about Maria Valtorta’s writing: its importance, its history, its ecclesiastical status, how it compares to other revelations, the 14 proofs of its divine origin, and its critics and defenses.

This free e-book is the result of hundreds of hours of research over 6 months, utilizing a tremendous number of Internet and printed sources. To give you a taste of its level of depth and scholarship: it has 902 references/endnotes.

A notable chapter in this e-book is: “The Position of the Popes, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (the Holy Office), and the Vatican Newspaper on the Poem of the Man-God”

Some things you may have not been aware of:

Saint Padre Pio and at least two spiritual children of his approve the Poem of the Man-God. In 1967 (a year before Padre Pio’s death), a long-time spiritual daughter of his, Mrs. Elisa Lucchi, asked him in Confession: “Father, I have heard mention of Maria Valtorta’s books. Do you advise me to read them?” Saint Padre Pio responded: “I don’t advise you to – I order you to!” There is also documented eyewitness accounts by several trustworthy sources that Saint Padre Pio approved and encouraged the reading of Maria Valtorta’s works, and that he has had mystical experiences with Maria Valtorta during the time when they were both alive. All of this is documented and described in the e-book.

Blessed Gabriel Allegra, O.F.M. was beatified by Pope Benedict XVI on September 29, 2012 and Blessed Gabriel Allegra was an outspoken and avid long-time supporter of Maria Valtorta and spent the latter years of his life studying, promoting, and defending the Poem of the Man-God (Maria Valtorta’s major work). You can read his testimony online here:

Blessed Gabriel Allegra’s Critiques, Notes, and Letters on Maria Valtorta’s The Poem of the Man-God

Notable actions of the Popes regarding the Poem of the Man-God include:

A high-ranking prelate personally handed Pope Pius XII a 12-volume typewritten copy of the Poem of the Man-God in 1947. After these volumes were evaluated by the Pope for a year, he granted a special audience with the three Servites of Mary in charge of this work. At this audience, as Bishop of Rome and the Vicar of Christ, Pope Pius XII gave the Poem of the Man-God an official imprimatur and commanded them to publish it “just as it is”. Cardinal Edouard Gagnon, who wrote from the Vatican on October 31, 1987, referred to Pope Pius XII’s action as: “The kind of official imprimatur granted before witnesses by the Holy Father in 1948, an Official Imprimatur of the Supreme Authority of the Church”

Pope Paul VI showed obvious signs of favor towards the Poem by sending a letter of congratulations and blessing to world-renowned Mariologist, Fr. Gabriel Roschini, for his book The Virgin Mary in the Writings of Maria Valtorta. Furthermore, Archbishop Pasquale Macchi, Private Secretary of Pope Paul VI, said to Fr. Corrado M. Berti, O.S.M., in an hour long interview in 1963: “When His Holiness (Paul VI) was Archbishop of Milan, he read one of the books of The Poem of the Man-God. He told me how he appreciated it, and had me send the complete work to the library of the diocesan seminary.”

Pope John Paul II approved the decree of a miracle and the beatification of a world-renowned theologian who was an outspoken and avid long-time supporter of Maria Valtorta and who spent the latter years of his life studying, promoting, and defending the Poem of the Man-God: Blessed Gabriel M. Allegra, O.F.M. Furthermore, according to Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, the secretary of Pope John Paul II, the Pope was a reader of Maria Valtorta. The cardinal testifies to having often seen one of the volumes of The Gospel as Revealed to Me [a.k.a. *The Poem of the Man-God] on the Pope’s bedside table.

Only the first edition was put on the Index of Forbidden Books the same day as St. Faustina’s writings were. Fr. Marco Giraudo, O.P., Commissioner of the Holy Office, later approved the publication of the 2nd edition of the Poem of the Man-God in 1961, stating to Fr. Berti: “We have no objection to your publishing this 2nd edition. We will see how the work is welcomed.”

Believe it or not, her revelations have been proven by multiple areas of science to be 99.6% historically accurate as is shown in the e-book.

I say from my heart: after the Holy Bible and the most sacred perennial books of the Catholic Faith (the Summa Theologica, etc.), there is perhaps no greater book that exists in the world today than the Poem of the Man-God, and I think it is truly impossible for any person of good will to not only highly benefit from reading it; but I would go so far as to say that any person of good will who reads it will almost certainly have his life changed profoundly in some way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.