Book ban in California school

‘To Kill a Mockingbird,’ Other Books Banned From California Schools Over Racism Concerns

Schools in Burbank will no longer be able to teach a handful of classic novels, including Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird , following concerns raised by parents over racism.

Middle and high school English teachers in the Burbank Unified School District received the news during a virtual meeting on September 9.

Until further notice, teachers in the area will not be able to include on their curriculum Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird , Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn , John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men , Theodore Taylor’s The Cay and Mildred D. Taylor’s Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry .

https://www.newsweek.com/kill-mockingbird-other-books-banned-california-schools-over-racism-concerns-1547241

All the more reason not to send your kids to public schools.

6 Likes

One presumes parents have actually read the books?

2 Likes

Wow.

Every book you listed is one of my favorites. I personally think that The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is the greatest book written by any American throughout our history. I try to read it at least every other year, and I have several copies of it.

And I LOVE!!! Mildred’s Taylor’s books!

My younger daughter never bothered to read any of the books that she was assigned in high school–except Of Mice and Men, which she read 3 times because she loved it so much! I think it has helped make her a very compassionate person.

(She still got A’s on all her tests and graduated at the top of her clsas–she’s a good listener and when the teachers lectured about the books during class, she paid attention when they said things like, “Three life-changing events in the Scout Finch’s life were…” or “Let’s discuss seven character traits of Huckleberry Finn.” Those were the kind of teacher’s comments that showed up as essay test questions!)

I would pull my children out of a school that did this kind of censorship.

I can’t help but wonder if they are also banning some of the current popular books featuring troubled homosexual or transgender teens. I’m guessing not–they probably have to get rid of the books listed above because there isn’t time to read those AND the teen sexual-awakening books.

5 Likes

I’ve read the first three and two of them explicity deal with issues around judging people via external characteristics and race. Huck is set apart from wider society in Twain’s work because he manages to transcend it:-

A quote that may amuse people from Twain’s book:-
“Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And hain’t that a big enough majority in any town?”
― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

2 Likes

Maybe they will replace the novels with Conrad’s “The N-word of the Narcissus”.

1 Like

Huckleberry Finn seems to keep coming up as troublesome book because of the use of a particular word without people actually reading it and understanding that Twain is representing a real period and Huck is not going to go around talking as anything rather than what he was.

However Huck is Twain’s vehicle for castigating the morality of the day regarding inequality of people based on colour and show himself morally superior despite being a poor bit of ‘white trash’.

3 Likes

Have you raid the books listed? I’d said commenting on them should require having read at least some of them. I haven’t read the last two listed so can’t comment on them. But the first three I have. If the complaint is based largerly around stuff like the use the of the n word in Twain’s work it woudl be ludicrous for it not to be used in the period he is setting the work.

I haven’t read “The Cay”. The N-word appears courtesy of Wodehouse in some of the “Jeeves” novels, too.

1 Like

“Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.”
― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

It does indeed and is accurate to the time period in its usage, pretending it wasn’t used is to start rewriting history. There are plenty of books of English literature that go on about Papists and ‘thick Paddies’ etc. etc. I don’t wish them banned, they are what they are.

Also, people need to be able to absorb a variety of literary sources and be able to deal with the fact that sometimes outlooks represented in books they encounter may not be generally flattering to the groups they come from. Twain has Huck rise above the racism of his day and view of Jim as property, although ironically Huck thinks he is damned for doing so. Twain skewers the whole of society in that little sequence.

6 Likes

My dad’s favorite author. Thank goodness he died long before they start burning those ones.

Which N word? Naughty? Notice?
You have to be more specific

3 Likes

The Cay was one of the first books I read as a teen. It wasn’t for school (chances are I wouldn’t have read it if it was :slight_smile:). I thought the black character was the hero. I’m starting to think a lot of these wokesters may be drinking way too much caffeine.

Use your imagination.

3 Likes

We all know which word and also you can’t type that word here without using asterisks so you are forced to do that or reference it in roundabout ways to discuss it. If you type it in full here the post will not go through. If you copy and past text where it exists you are forced to edit it. It appears in several of the works the OP mentions, but then it would almost have to given the setting of some of those works and the issues they deal with.

2 Likes

Are you in the US? If so, I think it’s fairly obvious which word.

Nebula? Necrotic? Neurotic? Nah, which n word could we be chatting about here… :rofl: Plus points will be awarded to anyone making a poem using only n words…

2 Likes

You will have to excuse me, I’m a bit slow, so I might need more help. Maybe if I can find out what it rhymes with, I could narrow it down :wink:

Trigger, but you need to practice with weapons to be effective when using them I should point out.

1 Like

not playing that game

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.