Book for Survey of the Old Testament

Can anyone recommend a good book for a “survey” of the OT? I am looking for a book that has a chapter for each book of the OT giving history and themes etc…

Thanks!

I have two favorites that meet this description.

The first is “A Guide To The Bible,” by Antonio Fuentes. Fuentes is the general editor of the highly popular Navarre Bible Commentary. A number of years ago, he wrote several articles for Catholic Answers “This Rock” magazine which each examined a book of the Bible. If you want to get a taste of his work, here’s one of the articles:

**GALATIANS **
By ANTONIO FUENTES
catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9306ntg.asp

My new favorite is by Peter Kreeft and is called “You Can Understand The Bible.” It too takes the Bible book by book and, if you’ve ever read Kreeft, it’s an enjoyable read.

How to Read the Old Testament, by Charpentier

It’s currently out of print, but if you can get a used copy of “The Consuming Fire”, by Fr. Michael Duggan, I highly recommend it. It was originally published by Ignatius:

catholic.net/rcc/Periodicals/Igpress/books/cfi-p.html

The Jerome Bible Commentary by Raymond Brown ed. amazon.com/gp/product/0138598363/qid=1137189298/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-2656954-8867867?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Reading the Old Testament by Lawrence Boadt amazon.com/gp/product/0809126311/103-2656954-8867867?v=glance&n=283155

“Inside the Bible: An Introduction to each Book in the Bible” by Kenneth Baker, S.J.
That’s published by Ignatius Press.

[quote=Journeyman]Can anyone recommend a good book for a “survey” of the OT? I am looking for a book that has a chapter for each book of the OT giving history and themes etc…

Thanks!
[/quote]

Here is one I like, Sirach Chapters 44-51. If thats not a good recap I dont know what is.

I would also like to recommend “The Consuming Fire”, by Fr. Michael Duggan. It is a very good introduction to the Old Testament.

NOT the New Jerome Biblical Commentary… :nope:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.