Book Is Rallying Resistance to the Antivaccine Crusade

So first you kill the child, and then you use the murdered child’s cells to create cell cultures to inject in humans? I don;t know about you, but I cringe at the thought of having cells from murdered human children in my blood.

Yes:) And that is why we have the philosophical exemption for our kids

It’s sad, but up to there you’re right. It’s a pretty barbaric process.

to inject in humans? I don;t know about you, but I cringe at the thought of having cells from murdered human children in my blood.

They’re not injecting fetal cells into you. I know it sounds like I’m splitting hairs, but anti-vaccine people say this a lot as a scare tactic (however unintentional that might be). They use the cells to make the viral components for the vaccine, almost like a microscopic factory. It’s still disgusting, but it’s being misrepresented and doesn’t help in the debate over vaccines.

Vaccines are dead viruses or viral parts that give your immune system a chance to get used to that particular virus. The original fetal cells probably don’t even exist anymore, but the cell lines do (cells grown from the original ones). That’s where the ethical debate lies - whether or not it’s right to use these cell lines to make vaccines. Many of the vaccines people aren’t so vocal about are also made in cells, but ones from much more ethical sources.

:thumbsup:

But the cell lines are coming from murdered children? Why should I be required to have cell lines from murdered children running through my bloodstream? I don;t like the idea of being injected with products made from people who were murdered? How am I supposed to sleep at night, knowing that these products coming from murdered children are streaming throughout my arteries and into my brain?

Hey, I’m with you on that - ultimately, it’s the exact same thing that you’d be getting injected with even if the cell lines didn’t come from aborted children, but I don’t think the end justifies the means.

Even still, I won’t come out and say the Vatican is wrong on this decision (despite the fact that it wasn’t infallibly declared). The cell lines, for all intents and purposes, have nothing to do with the original cells at this point. But I still feel uneasy about how the cell lines were created - make no mistake about that.

As an aside, I think the source of the cell lines and the need to use vaccinations are two entirely separate debates that get mixed up all the time. They really aren’t addressing the same point.

Does God really want us to have products made from aborted children running through our bloodstream? This is very bothersome to many people with a conscience.

Wow, I hope that last part wasn’t implying that I don’t have a conscience…so I’ll proceed under the assumption that it wasn’t.

No, I don’t think God does want this. The Vatican document that was linked to makes it very clear - we can’t use fetal tissues for experiments because they are the remains of a human being and deserve to be treated with dignity. For the same reason, we can’t just give these tissues to researchers, the researchers can’t make cell lines out of them, and all people of good conscience should distance themselves from them. But the damage has been done. These vaccines could have been made with cell lines from ethical sources, and you’d be receiving the exact same thing if they were. It shouldn’t have happened the way it did, but there’s no changing that now (although I think most vaccines have ethical alternatives at this point?).

I don’t claim to have a grasp on the philosophy that underlies all of this, but we’ve run into similar situations before. For example, Bayer (the Aspirin people) sponsored some of “Dr.” Mengele’s experiments in the Nazi concentration camps. To this day, we benefit from some of that research…was this carried out in the right way? Absolutely not. Can we go back in time and delete the way that some of these drugs were formulated? Unfortunately, no. But that doesn’t mean that we should simply refuse to use any of the pills associated with that research.

I know that’s not a perfect analogy, but I hope it makes things a little more clear. Also, I don’t think we should ignore the caveat that these vaccines only be used for “grave reasons”. We can only use these vaccines if there is no alternative available, and even still, we have to make it known that we want ethical alternatives. The Vatican is not being soft on this issue. It’s not ideal, because we shouldn’t have gotten into this mess in the first place. All I know is I’m happy I’m not the one who has to issue documents like these…it’s way over my head.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.