Book of Enoch/ film Noah 2014

what can you tell me about the Book of Enoch.
I know The Book Of Enoch is not considered canon Scripture.
From what I have read on wikipedia the new movie Noah which is set to be released this next month March 28 2014 is based off of Genesis and The Book Of Enoch.
I know this because while looking at the cast I found some strange names that I did not recognize.
The names had links and some of them were taken from the book of enoch.

How reliable is this book?
I know it consist of five books.
I know our Ethiopian Orthodox brethren has these books in their apochrypha.
The apostles and Church Fathers speak about and qoute from these books or this book.

Before you answer I as the OP am going to lay down some ground rules.
Why?
There was a similar thread posted awhile back and it didn’t go too well.
The usual CAF drama occured in short what was a thread that was about the book of enoch turned into a debate over whether James was the brother of Jesus and whether Catholics were Christians.

I would like to avoid the same thing from occuring and derailing this thread off track.
I can’t make anyone follow these rules or guidlines I just ask that you do and stay on topic.
I think if we all behave like rational mature adults this can be a compelling historical, scriptural and spiritual discussion.

Do not debate about creationism.
Do not debate or mention aliens, the IlluminatI, the NWO, the Anuki, the NordIcs, the Grays, the Alpha Draconians, Shape Shifting Reptilians, Zeti Reticuli, Alpha Draconis, Star Gates, Hollow Earth, Atlantis, and anything said, written or done by David Icke, Dan Brown or the History Channel for that matter.
Do not mention or debate about scripture or scriptural figures not within the context of the book of enoch.
Lastly do not debate about whether Catholics are Christians.
We are NUFF SAID.

Enjoy and I am looking forward to your replies.

Warning: I have Tourette’s syndrome in a rare form, which compels me to (HOLLOW EARTH) type words out against my will. :smiley:

:rotfl:

Do not debate or mention aliens, the IlluminatI, the NWO, the Anuki, the NordIcs, the Grays, the Alpha Draconians, Shape Shifting Reptilians, Zeti Reticuli, Alpha Draconis, Star Gates, Hollow Earth, Atlantis, and anything said, written or done by David Icke, Dan Brown or the History Channel for that matter.

Awwww, not even David Icke? (puppy-dog eyes) :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually the (SHAPE SHIFTING REPTILIANS) Book of Enoch is quoted (or alluded to) in the Epistle of St. Jude (my Ignatius RSV-2CE Bible has a footnote to “Enoch 1:9”) - which may be one (NWO) reason why it’s been given canonical status in some Orthodox churches.

However, modern scholars feel that the (ILLUMINATI) book is unlikely to have been written by Enoch, though it contains some ancient material.

It’s worth noting that the book never (ALIENS) was in the Jewish canon either; even the Septuagint, which includes the (STAR GATES) deutero-canonical books, excludes Enoch.

The Douay-Rheims (HISTORY CHANNEL) Challoner Bible has a footnote which says that “this (DAVID ICKE) prophecy of Enoch was probably known by (ATLANTIS) oral tradition”. In other words, they discount it being a (ZETA RETICULI) quote from the “Book of Enoch”, but rather a Jewish (DAN BROWN) tradition, analogous to the Sacred Tradition of Catholics.

It’s probably interesting as a view into Jewish thought and culture, but the (ANUKI) arguments against its (ALPHA DRACONIS) canonicity are strong. :slight_smile:

Now to go take my meds. Ooof…

Pax Christi!

You quote Dante, but we can’t discuss the Hollow Earth??

Oh, well…

I don’t really have any thoughts on the Book of Enoch, having never read it, but if it has influenced Hollywood, then I find that interesting. Blessed Anna Katarina Emmerich influenced The Passion of the Christ, after all.

Looking forward to following this.

God bless.

Pax Christi!

p.s. it’s hollow!

God bless.

LOL!
Thanks I needed that.
So basically it’s fokloric.
There May be some elements of truth in it but not complete truth?

Yeah I know I mentioned some strange subjects but the thread I had read before I posted my own had the individual who had started the debate postIng a picture of Enoch with UFO’s and some new age web site.
Plus if I can avoid funmentals and flinstones and the Bible I will. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know anything, but the book of Enoch is on my list to read… That is it.

The Book of Enoch is part of the biblical canon of the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox Churches, so they probably wouldn’t appreciate your designation of the book as “apocryphal,” in much the same way you probably wouldn’t appreciate an Evangelical calling I Maccabees “apocryphal.”

The Book of Enoch is also quoted in the New Testament (Jude 14-15 and perhaps also alluded to in 1 & 2Peter), was found among the Dead Sea Scrolls, and is also quoted in the Epistle of Barnabas (first or second century; included in Codex Sinaiticus). Clement of Alexandria and Irenaeus quote from it as if it’s scripture, or at least authoritative in some sense.

It was obviously a very popular work in Palestinian Judaism and early Christianity.

Perhaps I should have said it is deutronical.
I wouldn’t get offended if someone called it apocryphal. A lot Catholics use that term IncludIng myself.
You can use either it essentially means the same thing.

I have found the book of Enoch to agree with the Bible
authonomy.com/books/56656/missing-pieces-of-the-bible-lost-books-fill-in-the-blanks-the-updated-version/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.