Book of Enoch

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum :slight_smile: I am aware that the Book of Enoch is not considered to be Sacred Scripture (At least that’s what I’ve heard so far) But I wasn’t quite sure where else to put this.

My question is, would it be acceptable to read the Book of Enoch? It sounds rather intriguing, but a quick Google search showed mixed views on it. There were even some conspiracy theories: Things about Nephilim, demons, etc. Is it acceptable to read the Book of Enoch out of curiosity or is it a bad influence?

Yes certainly you can read it. It is a very interesting book. It isn’t scripture of course, but it is fun to read and think about. Personally, I liked the Second Book of Enoch the best, and I even painted pictures of the 7 heavens described in it.

:thumbsup: Thanks very much

I always found it intersesting that it is not in the bible since it is quoted in the book of Jude.

Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones to judge everyone, and to convict all of them of all the ungodly acts they have committed in their ungodliness, and of all the defiant words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”

It is never good to read something like that unless you are a professional theologian with an academic interest in the book in question.

Besides you must learn what it is to be a Catholic first and believe me it is a life’s work if you do it right. First comes the Catechism which should be studied from beginning to end, then Scriptures, then the lives of some favorite saints, keeping on top of your prayer life and the sacraments. If you have time for entertaining reading try G.K. Chesterton, Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson and a few like that.

Pax
Linus2nd

Some Orthodox groups (notably the Ethiopian Orthodox) do consider the Book of Enoch to be sacred scripture.

Mm… don’t mean to be a killjoy, but I’m with Linus on this one. I think you should not be reading the Book of Enoch right now.

We’ve got to be honest with ourselves. The Catholic Church is what we believe to be the fullness of the Truth that God has revealed to us. But we are still new! Just converting, it seems. There is still much to learn.

Do you have a little free time? Are you a fan of Socrates? I encourage you, take five minutes to hear some wisdom from Socrates.
gutenberg.org/files/1591/1591-h/1591-h.htm
Here is the dialogue of Protagoras, written by Plato. Read the beginning… read up until this line, it should take five or ten minutes, and you should understand the reasons I do not think you should read the Book of Enoch.
“And now let us go, as we were intending, and hear Protagoras; and when we have heard what he has to say, we may take counsel of others; for not only is Protagoras at the house of Callias, but there is Hippias of Elis, and, if I am not mistaken, Prodicus of Ceos, and several other wise men.”

Here is the question: what sort of things are we ingesting when we read things outside the pale of orthodoxy?

It would be more responsible and appropriate to wait until you are more matured in the faith, perhaps after a few years. It takes a lot of time, prayer, and research. Do a lot of research! Read “Theology for Beginners” by Frank Sheed. It’s cheap and practically essential.

When you can smell the air and say, “I smell… heresy!” then you are properly defended enough to investigate this book.

Furthermore, I think the dialogue is suitable for all readers here to read. It is very valuable, at least Socrates’ caution towards Hippocrates in the beginning.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.