Book of Gomorrah: An Eleventh-Century Treatise Against Clerical Homosexual Practices

This is a book written by St Peter Damian about homosexual priests in 1049 and also references homosexuality in earlier centuries. It would seem it has always been a problem although only recently, through lobbying, has it been accepted throughout most of the world.

Book of Gomorrah: An Eleventh-Century Treatise Against Clerical Homosexual Practices.

newoxfordreview.org/reviews.jsp?did=1113-gardiner

*Damian weeps from “fraternal compassion” because he sees a “noble soul made in the image and likeness of God and joined with the most precious blood of Christ” cast down from a great height of dignity and glory. Any Christian who commits sodomy, he explains, surpasses in sin the men of Sodom, for he “defies the very commands of evangelical grace.”

Damian reports that he has endured persecution for preaching against this sin, and he begs the Pope to use his sacred authority to quiet “the complaint of perverse men” who reason that “a statement brought forward by one person…is rejected by others as prejudice.” At one point he addresses the dissenters as men “who are angry with me and who hate to listen to this writer.” He tells the Pope that some of them “accuse me of being a traitor and an informer on the crime of a brother,” while others think it “valid to attack me who am on the attack” and to “accuse me of presumptuous prattle.” They also denounce him for not being “afraid of picking on Christians.”

No surprise, Damian observes, that he is not believed and that his “admonition is rejected,” since God’s own command is “taken lightly by the puffed-up heart of the reprobate.” His opponents even ignore the scriptural verses that condemn homosexuality because “the rashness of the complainers [does not] give in to divine testimony.” Still, he hopes that when the Pope speaks out, “the sick Church” will rise once again to her “rightful vigor.”

In his reply, Leo IX gives Damian his full support and warns those who would dare to criticize or question his papal decree concerning sodomy that they will be putting themselves in danger of being deposed from their rank. He agrees with Damian that severity against this sin is needed, that he who does not attack it encourages it, and that silence about it is rightly thought to incur guilt.*

Thank you for posting this. It reminded me of the science on the pathophysiology of the body, within medicine. Now it looks like the soul also has its characteristic pathophysiology, I.e. a soul sickened by sin and rejection of God's grace will act out in specific and characteristic ways, and its ways of acting out are pretty similar regardless of whether we are talking 11th or 21st century. It looks like there is truly nothing new under the sun. Sodomists had been bullying others and accusing them of prejudice back in the 11th century, and now in the 21th century they are doing the same. They had been dismissive of the Bible's grave warnings and clear teachings back then, as they are now, 10 centuries later.

[quote="OurLadyPray4US, post:2, topic:346657"]
Thank you for posting this. It reminded me of the science on the pathophysiology of the body, within medicine. Now it looks like the soul also has its characteristic pathophysiology, I.e. a soul sickened by sin and rejection of God's grace will act out in specific and characteristic ways, and its ways of acting out are pretty similar regardless of whether we are talking 11th or 21st century. It looks like there is truly nothing new under the sun. Sodomists had been bullying others and accusing them of prejudice back in the 11th century, and now in the 21th century they are doing the same. They had been dismissive of the Bible's grave warnings and clear teachings back then, as they are now, 10 centuries later.

[/quote]

Precisely, the only difference between then and now being the acceptance, through the extensive 'lobbying' efforts, of most western governments of homosexuality as a 'norm' and 'equivalent' to male/female marital relationships. :(

[quote="pepipop, post:1, topic:346657"]
This is a book written by St Peter Damian about homosexual priests in 1049 and also references homosexuality in earlier centuries. It would seem it has always been a problem although only recently, through lobbying, has it been accepted throughout most of the world.

Book of Gomorrah: An Eleventh-Century Treatise Against Clerical Homosexual Practices.

newoxfordreview.org/reviews.jsp?did=1113-gardiner

*Damian weeps from “fraternal compassion” because he sees a “noble soul made in the image and likeness of God and joined with the most precious blood of Christ” cast down from a great height of dignity and glory. Any Christian who commits sodomy, he explains, surpasses in sin the men of Sodom, for he “defies the very commands of evangelical grace.”

Damian reports that he has endured persecution for preaching against this sin, and he begs the Pope to use his sacred authority to quiet “the complaint of perverse men” who reason that “a statement brought forward by one person…is rejected by others as prejudice.” At one point he addresses the dissenters as men “who are angry with me and who hate to listen to this writer.” He tells the Pope that some of them “accuse me of being a traitor and an informer on the crime of a brother,” while others think it “valid to attack me who am on the attack” and to “accuse me of presumptuous prattle.” They also denounce him for not being “afraid of picking on Christians.”

No surprise, Damian observes, that he is not believed and that his “admonition is rejected,” since God’s own command is “taken lightly by the puffed-up heart of the reprobate.” His opponents even ignore the scriptural verses that condemn homosexuality because “the rashness of the complainers [does not] give in to divine testimony.” Still, he hopes that when the Pope speaks out, “the sick Church” will rise once again to her “rightful vigor.”

In his reply, Leo IX gives Damian his full support and warns those who would dare to criticize or question his papal decree concerning sodomy that they will be putting themselves in danger of being deposed from their rank. He agrees with Damian that severity against this sin is needed, that he who does not attack it encourages it, and that silence about it is rightly thought to incur guilt.*

[/quote]

A very interesting Treatise. Blessed be St. Peter Damian for calling it what it is. He was attacked for speaking the truth, we are attacked for speaking the truth, some things never change.

[quote="KrazyKat, post:4, topic:346657"]
A very interesting Treatise. Blessed be St. Peter Damian for calling it what it is. He was attacked for speaking the truth, we are attacked for speaking the truth, some things never change.

[/quote]

So now we Catholics have to know where we stand, either we are quiet and say nothing, or we stand against HOMOSEXUALITY (not homosexuals) and give witness to our faith, when it is needed. Let me add to what the OP has posted on the review of the Book of Gomorrah, by Saint Peter Demian:

"The Book of Gomorrah demonstrates that** it was no easier a thousand years ago than it is today to speak out against this vice and to bring active homosexuals to repentance**, to an acknowledgement of the natural law, and to the practice of purity.

St. Peter Damian warns us against keeping silence in the face of such a growing evil and thus becoming complicit. He offers us a needed model of how to speak out fearlessly against the corruptions of our age."

from the same link: newoxfordreview.org/reviews.jsp?did=1113-gardiner

MANY THANKS TO PEPIPOP to bring this here..... it should be posted in every forum that is talking about homosexuality.

For the love of the Truth which Christ revealed and all the Saints are leading us to,
Gloria

Fascinating how St. Damien put it out there, seems nothing ever really changes.

I only wish this sort of clarity and action were taken now... seems all to often that those who speak the truth are branded 'prejudiced' as St. Damien states.

[quote="Hobbes42, post:6, topic:346657"]

I only wish this sort of clarity and action were taken now... seems all to often that those who speak the truth are branded 'prejudiced' as St. Damien states.

[/quote]

Happening right now in other threads on this forum.

[quote="Hobbes42, post:6, topic:346657"]

[/quote]

Just speaking out against gay people in certain places can be considered Hate speech, so the gay community is slowly getting their way! this is sad, I truly believe it will require an act of God to change the path society is on (concerning gay marriage, gay rights etc) its obvious, society will not change on its own!!

Im waiting for the day when I wake up and see the city of San Francisco has been completely destroyed, not sure how bad sodom or gommorrah was, but Im pretty sure they could not have held a candle to San Fran, or NYC for that matter!!!...so what is God waiting for? It is clear things will only get worse, more immoral as time goes on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.