Book of Mormon and Jaredite Ships

Jaredite ships are described as built following the direct personal instructions of God himself construction of eight (8) submersible sailing vessels in approximately 2200 B.C.E. each boat with just one tight-fitting door, and no window or other opening.

Construction of all eight boats was completed, per the Lord’s personal instructions

But what if we read it with the eye of reason and common sense? What if we read it as if we were jury members evaluating a witness’s testimony? Shall we give it a try?

NEXT, the Brother of Jared looked at the finished boats and wondered for the first time, Whoa! How will we breathe in these things?
He also noticed they were totally dark inside: “O Lord, in them there is no light; whither shall we steer?”

windows were not invented until thousands of years later, by a different civilization.
When asked about the light problem, note that the Lord answered with a question: "What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels? For behold, ye cannot have windows, for they will be dashed in pieces

Despite the common-sense requirements of structural integrity of ships that will be on the ocean carrying flocks and herds of animals and their feed for a year, all boats are finished, and then, as an afterthought, holes are hacked into that finished structure, one in the top and one in the bottom

How is the Jaredite level of planning and knowledge different from that of men described in current news articles, who carelessly suffocate illegal aliens by transporting them in unventilated trucks?

A goat eats 2 - 3 pounds/day. Even a pony eats about 8 pounds/day. Let’s sensibly use 3 pounds X 344 days. That’s 1,032 pounds of feed per animal. And how about carrying a year’s supply of drinking water for each person and animal? They couldn’t drink ocean water, and in boats of the type described they couldn’t gather significant rain water. How could they load and carry sufficient fresh water?

The numerous animals couldn’t be taken outside to urinate and defecate. Such a year-long, high-moisture, low-ventilation environment breeds bacteria, yeast, fungus and molds, and rots food.

Can you visualize adults, children, flocks and herds, rocking, tossing and flipping over, traveling that way for a year? Could you ride for 344 days and nights with your children on a boat, repeatedly buried in the depths of the sea with flocks and herds crashing over each other, with urine-soaked “litter box” material spilling into their food as the ship flopped upside down?
mormonthink.com/bomweb3.htm

When I was a missionary, we read that passage aloud during our morning scripture study. We got into just the kind of discussion you were talking about, and I suddenly realized that this passage could not possibly represent a true series of events. That was one of the first things that got me questioning the truth of the BoM and Mormonism in general.

It’s really a hilarious scene when you imagine it.
Paul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.