Book of Mormon questions and my testimony

I had been entertaining some missionaries for a few visits, trying to see where they were at, keep them from bothering less solidly Catholic folk, maybe put a crack in the armor or a stone in the shoe.

The first time they visited, they wanted to discuss the whole BoM story, the vision of Joseph Smith, Jr., the need for a restoration, etc. On this last point, I asked for some kind of reason to think that the Church had become apostate. They gave me Amos 8:11-12.

“Behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord God,
“when I will send a famine on the land;
not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water,
but of hearing the words of the Lord.
They shall wander from sea to sea,
and from north to east;
they shall run to and fro, to seek the word of the Lord,
but they shall not find it."

I replied that that was speaking about Israel, and that in the very next chapter God promises to maintain a faithful remnant. When asked why I’d want to believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that the BoM is true, I got a stock testimony and Moroni’s promise. When I asked why I should trust their subjective feeling, rather than mine, or a Muslim, or a Pentecostal, etc., I got nothing.

The second time they came by, we started by discussing the (lack of) Biblical evidence for a great apostasy, and the plenty of verses showing the permanence of the Church in every age, we moved to the deity of Christ. After five or six verses, the lead missionary asked me if I wanted to know what he had to say. I said yes, and asked if he wanted to know what I had to say. He said no! He had only come to teach the meek and humble, not to be taught, and it was clear that I was trying to “destroy his faith.” The lead missionary stormed out, vowing never to return.

My question for any LDS believers: why think that the BoM is true, other than having prayed about it?

That’s an interesting question and I look forward to seeing if any of our Mormon friends here can answer it. I too am puzzled at how people develop strong faiths which spring from very modern religions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.