"Book of Mormon" - The Musical, Not the Actual Book

A good friend of mine recently gave me a pair of tickets to see the touring company production of “Book of Mormon.” I don’t know much about it other than the fact that it is very popular and supposedly very funny. On one hand I am very much looking forward to it. I love musicals and I love comedy. On the other hand, I am a bit uncomfortable with the idea of poking fun at someone else’s religion - and the Mormons are awfully easy targets.

So…

Has anyone here seen this production? What did you think? Does it, in fact, poke fun at Mormonism? If so, is it good natured fun, or is it inappropriate?

Thanks.

I saw it with a Mormon family member. They thought it was fun, and funny and said people who were offended are taking themselves to seriously.

I would definitely steer clear of that. The Book of Mormon was made by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the guys who created South Park, and their blasphemous and anti-religious flair is blatant. There’s literally a song where two missionaries and the residents of an African village sing a song called “Hasa Diga Eebowai”, which apparently translates to “F*** You God”. And trust me, that’s not all.

I should hope that all Catholics would be disgusted by immense irreverence and vulgar blasphemy.

I had uncomfortable moments, particular the pokes at baptism.

Oh, and let’s not forget the part when one of the missionaries threatens to use the power of Christ to turn the antagonist into a lesbian. :mad:

It is done by the “South Park” creators, so it is cheap and vulgar. It is pure nonsense, not to be taken seriously. The plot is idiot teenaged Mormon missionaries sent to Uganda and the resultant confusion with hostile natives. In the end, of course, they manage to convert the Ugandans to cartoon Mormonism.

I think that the Mormon church response has been mixed. They want to show that they can take a joke.

I don’t even remember that.

A lot of make believe going on on that musical.

I’ve seen it. It’s pretty much as offensive as humanly possible, to several groups of people.

I have not seen the Broadway Production, but I have the cast album. It was actually written by two Mormons.

It has a lot of bad language, especially the F word.

My daughter just told me that this musical is coming to Utah.

I wonder if many LDS will go to see it?

Debating is one thing. Mocking for the sake of mocking is something completely different.

I will not go to see it

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Neither Trey Parker nor Matt Stone are Mormons. Parker is a Deist, and Stone is an atheist.

I haven’t seen it, but I have heard a few of the songs and thought they were not funny and disrespectful to LDS. If this show was about the Catholics and not the Mormons, The Catholic League would be all over it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe they were both “born in the covenant” and left later. They get soo much right on Mormonism.

I would not be surprised to learn that they both served on mission, but I don’t know.

They’re from Colorado, which given its location, probably has a significant Mormon population.

No, Stone was raised in an agnostic Jewish household. Not sure about Parker but he wasn’t either. Both had quite a few Mormon friends growing up and have a particular interest in the religion.

That said they’ve also refused classification. Parker has said he believes there is more to existence than we can see, Stone hasn’t said as much but has rejected being called “Atheist”.

At least this was true several years ago - around the time they did Book of Mormon. Perhaps they have each settled on classification since then.

Excerpts I heard, I thought the music was beautiful. Like others have said, the language is vile and the mockery is unconscionable. North Korean music is very beautiful, too, like “Star Over Korea,” but the words of some songs are animalistic propaganda. I had wanted to see “The Book of Mormon.” Reading what others have said, I’m thinking now that maybe I should modify my behavior to be more in harmony with my admittedly faulty but not gutter-level moral sense, and avoid the thing. The words especially are a powerful turn-off. Nawh, I don’t think I"m interested in seeing it now.

I’m glad to see so many on this forum eschewing this play. Remember a while back when we were so indignant over the play “Catholic School Girls”? The same applies to “The Book of Mormon” .

Anyone who knows me knows I am no fan of the LDS church; but the blatant public mockery of another’s faith is tasteless.

Paul (formerly LDS, now happily Catholic)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.