Book of Mormon

What is the Catholic Postition on the BoM? Why does the Catholic Church not accept it as Scripture as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does? What is the reasoning behind it? How does the Catholic Church deal with why the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints says we should accept it as Scripture?

Toten, the Catholic Church is interested in the truth, thus its dismissal of the Book of Mormon except as a topic for apologetics discussions in hopes of bringing Mormons to the Church Christ actually did establish. These articles will inform you further on the topic:

catholic.com/library/problems_with_the_book_of_mormon.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9907conv.asp

catholic.com/library/gods_of_the_mormon_church.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1992/9207fea2.asp

Here’s what the Catechism has to say (emphases mine):

God has said everything in his Word

65 "In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son."26 Christ, the Son of God made man, is the Father’s one, perfect, and unsurpassable Word. In him he has said everything; there will be no other word than this one. St. John of the Cross, among others, commented strikingly on Hebrews 1:1-2:
In giving us his Son, his only Word (for he possesses no other), he spoke everything to us at once in this sole Word – and he has no more to say … because what he spoke before to the prophets in parts, he has now spoken all at once by giving us the All Who is His Son. Any person questioning God or desiring some vision or revelation would be guilty not only of foolish behavior but also of offending him, by not fixing his eyes entirely upon Christ and by living with the desire for some other novelty.27There will be no further Revelation

66 "The Christian economy, therefore, since it is the new and definitive Covenant, will never pass away; and no new public revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ."28 Yet even if Revelation is already complete, it has not been made completely explicit; it remains for Christian faith gradually to grasp its full significance over the course of the centuries.

67 Throughout the ages, there have been so-called “private” revelations, some of which have been recognized by the authority of the Church. They do not belong, however, to the deposit of faith. It is not their role to improve or complete Christ’s definitive Revelation, but to help live more fully by it in a certain period of history. Guided by the magisterium of the Church, the sensus fidelium knows how to discern and welcome in these revelations whatever constitutes an authentic call of Christ or his saints to the Church.

Christian faith cannot accept “revelations” that claim to surpass or correct the Revelation of which Christ is the fulfillment, as is the case in certain non-Christian religions and also in certain recent sects which base themselves on such “revelations.”

Because we believe Joseph Smith to have been a false prophet. All was revealed in Jesus Christ. The time of prophets passed with the physical presence of Jesus in our world and in our time. Our chuch was created by Christ, but yours was a strictly human invention and origin.

Hi Toten, How do you feel your question was answered (especially in post #3, bravo)and does it make sense to you! Do you have any other concerns with answer provided?

In the Book of Revelation Jesus says,

“I warn every one who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if any one adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if any one takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.[Rev 22:18-19]”

This passage may apply to all of scripture and not just the Book of Revelation. Either way it pretty much denies any additional public Revelation that would contradict it. The book of Mormon is clearly an attempt to add to scripture.

The apostle Paul says this is Gal 1:6-12

"I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and turning to a different gospel–not that there is another gospel, but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, If any one is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which you received, let him be accursed. Am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still pleasing men, I should not be a servant of Christ. For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not man’s gospel. For I did not receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

The apostle John tells us in the opening verse of his gospel that:

“IN THE beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God; all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.”

The book of Mormon denies the Christian understanding of the Trinity and looks at Jesus as a “created” being as opposed to an eternal being that is one in being with the Father. This is a different gospel.

Moreover, John tells us in his first letter that teachings that go against the gospel message concerning Jesus and his divinity are anti-Christ in nature[see 1 Jn 2:21-23]. The book of Mormon clearly teaches things about Jesus and the Father that are not consistent with the gospel understandings and the consistent teachings of Christianity. Based on these things alone we cannot accept the Book of Mormon as the inspired word of God.

I am not Latter Day Saint or “Mormon” but, if I am not mistaken, doesn’t the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints teach that the BoM as something that happened somewhat concurently with the bible? I think that the story of the Chruch after Christs appearance lasts a bit longer than acts so I don’t quite see how the “after Christ left” argument works in this case.

The claim is the “writing” of the BoM continued well after the death of the last apostle–circa 650 AD when the Lammanites & Nephites had it out in a Kilkenny-cat-like battle that wipred out the nephites and caused the Lammanites to “degrade” into American Indians who couldn’t remember their Hebrew origins

The truth actually is, the writing occured in 1827-30 as the creation of an Upstate NY con-man whowas involved with the occult, possibly in collusion with some Campbellite lay-preachers

The Book of Mormon also lacks historical, acheaological, and genetic facts to support its claims.

There is no historical data to support the historical statements in the Book of Mormon other than the claims of Joseph Smith himself. History for example makes no reference to the “great apostasy” and many other claims made by Smith.

There is no acheaological data that supports the existence of the Lammanites & Nephites in the Americas or the claims that they had horses which everyone knows were introduced to the Americas by the Spanish.

There is no DNA that shows a common ancestory between any native American peoples and the Jews.

The historical claims by Smith are made up from whole cloth as are the theological constructs that separate Mormon teachings from Christian teachings.

Pax is on the money. The BoM has nothing to back it up. But if you like the idea of having your own planet, it just might be the religion for you.

:eek:   http://bestsmileys.com/lol/10.gif

The truth actually is, the writing occured in 1827-30 as the creation of an Upstate NY con-man whowas involved with the occult, possibly in collusion with some Campbellite lay-preachers

:yup:

it could be that the catholic church is an apostate religion and has lost sight of the truth as to one of the reasons that it does not except the Book of Mormon,

also i see we have some some Joseph Smith haters on here which is ok , but people in glass houses should not trow stones unless they want to break glass…
any not the way i wanted to enter the forum, but hi to every one

Plus, Joseph Smith claimed that the angel wrote the book of Mormon on gold plates, and everybody knows that angels only write on platinum plates that have been embossed with silver filigree and initialed with cubic zirconium stenciling. I mean…doh!

Ergo, Joseph Smith was obviously lying.

I’m an ex-Mormon. This Book of Mormon has been completely disproven. You may want to look at some of the videos on this page:

mrm.org/multimedia/video

this should be interesting

Oh dear…

Peace to you, montague.

That’s what I don’t understand. Do most Mormons simply try to ignore some of the crushing scientific and archaeological analysis that seems to completely undermine Joseph Smiths teachings and claims? I’ve read pro-Mormon and anti-Mormon analysis on the Book of Abraham and Egyptian papyri and there simply is no logical or persuasive argument that can hold up to scrutiny in defense of the seemingly glaring inconsistencies (putting it nicely).

Per the Book of Abraham… I mean, here was the Church of Mormon’s chance to prove some validity to Smith’s writings and it completely folded under scientific scrutiny. Archaeological digs for 50 years can’t find a single piece of evidence to support the Book of Mormon’s record of history in NA. How do Mormon’s rationalize these things in today’s age?

I’m just completely at a loss. I don’t mean any disrespect but I would have such a hard time maintaining faith if I was faced with the insurmountable evidence that seems to critically question the tenets of Mormonism and Smith’s role as a purported prophet.

Montague, can you please shed some light on these things from your perspective?

Thanks for the link, those are very interesting. I’d be curious in your personal perspective on what drives Mormonism forward in today’s age when it seems to have so much going against it. What keeps people in the Mormon Church in your opinion based on your particular hindsight? What brought you out of Mormonism?

I know it’s a little off subject, but I’d be very interested.

Can I ask as to why you left the Lords Church ???

He didn’t. Didn’t you hear? He’s an ex-Mormon.

The BoM is clearly erroneous. My friend, please, please, why do you maintain it as truth? Can’t you see the contradictions? Please; I really want to know.

1. It makes numerous errors concerning the life of early Native Americans;

2. states that there are many “gods” (contrary to John 5:44; John 17:3; Romans 16:27; 1 Corinthians 8:4; 1 Corinthians 8:6; Galatians 3:20; Ephesians 4:4-6; 1 Timothy 1:17; 1 Timothy 2:5; James 2:19; and Jude 1:25);

3. insists Yeshua is but a creation (contrary to John 1:1 and Philippians 2:6);

4. argues that the Church instituted by the Holy, Anointed Messiah fell into total apostasy (contrary to Matthew 16:18);

5. insists that there is marriage after death (contrary to Matthew 23:30 and Mark 12:25);

6. states that humans are preexistent (contrary to Psalms 139:13);

7. says obedient humans can become “gods” (contrary to Isaiah 43:10);

8. teaches that God created from matter preexistent (contrary to modern cosmology);

9. and is named for the pagan deity Mormo.

Please, I urge you, search the Scriptures. Pray without presuppositions. Search, and tell me God doesn’t lead you to a different path than that which you are currently traveling down.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.