Book on St. Paul?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum…

Can anyone recommend a good book on St. Paul (other than the New Testament)?

How about the book What Paul Meant by Garry Wills. He is a Catholic author and writes about the works of St. Paul and to show that "the best way to know Jesus is to discover Paul." I have not read the entire book yet, just snippets of it but it is on my to-read list in the near future. If is fairly short, just twenty or so pages less than two hundred.

I would be careful in your searches, Paul is a controversial figure
according to some Christians, and non-Christians also write about him.
Whatever you read, know that typically the older the book, the more
true it is, and do not read anything by Protestant or atheist/agnostic
author, ever. Probably the best book you can buy is going to cost $100
it is by Ferdinand Prat who was the source of the Catholic Encyclopedia
entry on Saint Paul. He wrote a two-volume The Theology of Saint Paul
which totals over 1000 pages.
alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=12588704

[quote="Langdell, post:1, topic:313584"]
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum...

[/quote]

I'd recommend 'Paul in Chains' by Fr Richard Cassidy of Sacred Heart Major Seminary. It is a wonderful book that examines Paul's final years and the Captivity Epistles. It is both detailed and excessable to the average reader.

[quote="Langdell, post:1, topic:313584"]
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum...

[/quote]

I'd recommend two solidly Catholic books about St. Paul, one that I have read, and one I am currently reading:

The World of Saint Paul, by Joseph Callewaert
St. Paul, by Pope Benedict XVI

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I will definitely check these out!

[quote="Langdell, post:6, topic:313584"]
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I will definitely check these out!

[/quote]

Try "fire of Rome" by Hagan.

He puts Paul's life and work in the historical context of the Roman Empire and the Temple Priesthood.

[quote="Snowball7, post:3, topic:313584"]
I would be careful in your searches, Paul is a controversial figure according to some Christians, and non-Christians also write about him. Whatever you read, know that typically the older the book, the more true it is, and do not read anything by Protestant or atheist/agnostic author, ever...

[/quote]

I would echo this. Not long ago I tried reading a book about St. Paul by a 20th century Evangelical. Not surprisingly, St. Paul came across as-- a 20th century Evangelical...:rolleyes:

Not saying all books by Protestants are like this, but it's definitely something to be aware of. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.