Book - Rebuilt

Anyone read this book?? We are in an area where the local parish is in need of revival. I have spoken with the priest, but he’s self admitted he has no answers.

Found this book “Rebuilt” and at a glance it looks good.

Any help appreciated!

I haven’t ever heard of it Markie but I have seen and our parish has given out copies of books by Matthew Kelley like
http://dynamiccatholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/FourSignsofaDynamicCatholic_BookLarge.png

http://dynamiccatholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/RC_LargeBook.png

And a bunch more that are available free here.

Thanks for the link - I just ordered a bunch of items! I need to turn our parish on to this - it is heavily in need of new, fresh materials.

I’ve read it. I think it’s generally good, but there are parts I don’t agree with. I know I have heard of some parishes that have taken the book and tried to emulate that parish exactly. I don’t think that can be done (nor do I think that is what the authors are advocating). How any given parish is going to be revitalized is going to be different than the parish down the road. It does give some good food for thought and challenges you to find different ways of doing things. That’s the most valuable lesson, I think. Because we cannot carry on as most parishes have been carrying on. It’s just not working anymore (if it ever did).

Other good books in the same vein are Forming Intentional Disciples and Divine Renovation. I haven’t had the chance to read Divine Renovation myself yet, but I’ve heard good things about it. Forming Intentional Disciples should be required reading for anyone engaged in ministry. I would probably recommend that over Rebuilt, though Rebuilt is more full of the concrete examples.

Thanks! That’s my thought is that it’s an idea guide. There is no simple format that will work the same everywhere - you have to know the people and adjust.

I am working with the priest to improve things, and that’s the first concept is getting to know people before just doing stuff, so you can make it fit. We have a CCD program that runs kids through like livestock, and the deacon said about half the kids that get confirmed probably shouldn’t be. But everyone keeps doing the same stuff.

I’m not sure the exact answer, but I know this - what we are currently doing is not it!

I am in the process of reading this book. The authors say right at the beginning that they do not expect parishes to implement EXACTLY what and how they did, but it certainly gives food for thought.

I’ve heard of another book “From Maintenance to Mission” by Robert Rivers. I plan to read that next.

I have that one, too. I haven’t read it yet, but I saw the author give a presentation on it 10+ years ago. He definitely gave food for thought. It was the first time I recall being challenged in my presuppositions about what Church ministry should look like. As with Rebuilt, a lot of it is about changing mindsets. So many parishes can get stuck in the rut of “But that’s how we always do it” with the same core group of people doing all the work, and then wondering why they cannot ever seem to get any new blood to volunteer. It pays to ask and wrestle with those difficult questions, even though we may not know the answers.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I realize how critical it is to engage the “person in the pew” in the work of evangelization. In our soft and squishy American culture of comfort and individualism, it is very easy to turn the Church and the Sacraments into one more commodity to be “sold” by the “seller” (AKA the priests and clergy and maybe those handful of super involved lay people) to the “consumers” (AKA the laity). This model turns the laity into passive recipients and discerning shoppers. If they don’t like your “product”, they’ll just go down the road. And if they like it, well, you better keep giving it to them in exactly the same way else they will take their dollars elsewhere.

In this model, we are self-focused. We look at the Church to give us what we want. And if the Church also gives others what they want, then that’s nice, too. But we don’t often stop to think what we can do to help others. We’re just looking to be served rather than serving.

What we really need is for the laity to be awakened to their role. We don’t just take and consume the Gospel message for our own self-edification. We must also pass it on to the next person. We need to share it, and become invested in sharing it while becoming invested in the lives of others.

There are too many silos out there. We try to lone wolf it and go it alone. That’s not how the Church was designed to work.

Sorry for the tangent. :o I’ll get off my soapbox now. :stuck_out_tongue:

No tangent - I am new to the Catholic Church. I blows my mind how little the average parishioner where I am knows about their faith, and because of it they don’t evangelize.

On top of it, our local parish has this problem further up in the office and DRE. I can’t believe it’s allowed by the pastor.

Seriously - no rant - just amazed at what is allowed and how little is done.:shrug:. This is very personal, as it kept me out of the Catholic Church for years. I would not have come home without the help I found here.

Indeed. I’m glad you made it through!

I’m sure the reasons are many and varied. Sometimes, people just get comfortable and they don’t want to change things.

I recall back in college, one of my professors pointed out how, even in academia, there are some professors who are basically intellectually stuck back in the year that they earned their doctorate. They put the work in back then, got their degree, got their job, and then they have been coasting on auto pilot ever since. Then there are others who realize they are never done learning, so they continue to read, research, and challenge themselves to tackle new things.

I’ve come to see this apply in many places in life, and I think it applies to work in the Church as well. Some people go through and get their training. Or maybe they just sort of figured it out on their own. They get to a point where they feel they have a handle on things. And then they shift to auto pilot. New ideas get shot down. Anything that doesn’t fit the mold they have created is ignored.

I think it is a natural human tendency. We can be lazy and resist change and we don’t like to be told we are wrong. (Or maybe that’s just me .:o) But it does often pose a problem in lighting the fire of the Holy Spirit in a given parish.

As noted in the book and in this forum changing a culture is very, very difficult. And I think that most “Mary and Joseph PewSitter” subscribe to a culture that “being Catholic” means going to Mass on Sunday, throwing a dollar into the collection plate and then going home. They do not seem to see that Sunday Mass provides the fuel for us to go out and evangelize those around us. They do not think THEY have a mission – only “the Church” and to them “the Church” means “Father”.

Rebuilt seems to have some interesting ideas on how to shake up the culture. But as the authors admit, when you do that you need to be prepared to loose folks. But I’d rather have fewer folks who are fired up about serving Jesus in the world than a church full of pew sitters. And maybe the “fired up” folks will eventually energize their “pew sitting” brethren and we’ll get the best of both worlds!

I own it. I read it. I recommend it.

(My wife says we went to that Church once when we lived in Maryland…I think it must have been pre-rebuilt based on when I lived there.)

I also recommend:

Divine Renovation by Fr. James Mallon
Forming Intentional Disciples by Sherry Waddell

Thanks Randy - my reading time is precious and scarce, so it’s nice to know if something is worth the read going in.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.