Book recommendation

Hello people, I’m new to the forum. I’m protestant and a seminarian and I’d like to know what books you would recommend to me on Catholic theology and philosophy. I’m having serious doubts about protestantism so I’m trying to find good quality and theological sound material to explore and learn more about the Catholic faith.

Thanks for your help,

God bless

Can’t go wrong reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

You can also try Peter Kreeft’s Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Church Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Theology For Beginners by Frank Sheed and/or it’s big brother Theology and Sanity by the same author.

Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating

Rome Sweet Home by ScottHahn

I second these two! I also recommend What Catholics Really Believe by Karl Keating.

Also, this website has several great tracts on what we believe. God bless you.

Also, read anything by Scott Hahn. He was formerly a Protestant minister who did a lot of research into Catholicism. He found the Catholic Church to have the fullness of truth and subsequently converted.

You may also enjoy books written by our Popes.

What did the rector at your Seminary recommend?

I haven’t talked to anybody about what’s going on in my heart and mind.

How did you get accepted to Seminary of you have not been truthful with them?

:confused:

Wait…you’re in a non-Catholic seminary aren’t you?

Okay. I know what is going on then.

You’ve already garnered a lot of very good advice so far, but let me just add a couple of my favorite things that should be super handy.

1. Devon Rose’s book The Protestant’s Dilemma is a fantastic walk through the things you are facing from a guy who has been there.

2. Beginning Apologetics Volume 1: How to Explain and Defend the Catholic Faith

Then you can build on all the other great suggestions that everyone above has offered.

Oh…and hurry up…I’m savin’ ya a seat next to me at Mass.

Wait…you’re in a non-Catholic seminary aren’t you?

Okay. I know what is going on then.

You’ve already garnered a lot of very good advice so far, but let me just add a couple of my favorite things that should be super handy.

1. Devon Rose’s book The Protestant’s Dilemma is a fantastic walk through the things you are facing from a guy who has been there.

2. Beginning Apologetics Volume 1: How to Explain and Defend the Catholic Faith

Then you can build on all the other great suggestions that everyone above has offered.

Oh…and hurry up…I’m savin’ ya a seat next to me at Mass.

I think you will need to do a lot of praying for God’s will and soul searching. If you have serious doubts about Protestantism, perhaps God is calling you to become a Catholic. In any case, it would be hard to be in a seminary where you have that many doubts.

You may also attend your local parish’s RCIA program at no obligation. There you can explore the Catholic Faith, learn more and ask questions.

Ahhhhhh…
Be assured of our prayers.
May the Holy Spirit guide your heart, and lead you to peace and fulfillment.
God bless you.

Definitely Karl Keating and Scott Hahn.

James Hitchcock.

shop.catholic.com/hard-sayings-a-catholic-approach-to-answering-bible-difficulties.html

I was truthful when I was accepted. Doubts came much later.

I know. I had incorrectly assumed you were in a Catholic seminary. My apologies dear one. Be assured of our prayers.

The Catholic faith is a pretty wide subject. :slight_smile: Do you have any specific questions or areas of interest to which we could direct you? Be assured of my prayers.

If it’s catechisms you’re after, here are two short ones:

The Penny Catechism

The Catechetical Instructions of St. Thomas Aquinas

The second one errs on the Immaculate Conception, but other than that it should be good.

I’m interested in the Catholic doctrine of justification. I’d like to read an exegetical exposition of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.