Book Recommendations about Mary

Hello!

I’m new here to Catholic Answers. This website has been super helpful and I decided to join the forums. I am becoming Catholic soon (formerly Church of the Brethren) and I’m planning on joining an RCIA program in the next few months. I’m very excited, but nervous regarding my family. :slight_smile: Prayers appreciated!

Anyway, I have been working on becoming more devoted to the Blessed Virgin. She hadn’t been a part of my life until the past year due to my Protestant upbringing. There are still times that I struggle and experience occasional guilt when I pray to her. I’m trying to overcome this by learning as much as I can about her and praying the Rosary. There are still a lot of things that I don’t understand. I have read Scott Hahn’s “Hail, Holy Queen” and I’m currently reading St. Louis de Montfort’s “True Devotion to Mary”.

Are there any other books anyone could recommend or just advice in general?

Thanks so much! :smiley:

I recommend St Alphonsus de Liguori’s “The Glories of Mary.”

Also, let Mary guide you and speak to you as you research about her. She is more than happy to do so for the more you get to know her the more you’ll know and love her Son. :slight_smile:

God Alone is the collection of everything St. Louis de Montfort is known to have written including True Devotion and The Secret of the Rosary.

cdn3.volusion.com/ruvzp.cyjtw/v/vspfiles/photos/B-01-2T.jpg?1335964952

-Tim-

The World’s First Love by Archbishop Fulton Sheen

ltp.org/p-1537-the-mystery-of-mary.aspx

The Mystery of Mary

In this book, the Rev. Dr. Paul Haffner offers a clear and structured overview of theology and doctrine concerning Mary, set in a historical perspective. He outlines the basic scheme of what constitutes Mariology set in the context of other forms of theological enquiry, and working through the contribution of Holy Scripture he proceeds to examine each of the fundamental doctrines that the Church teaches about Our Lady. From the Immaculate Conception to Mary’s continuing Motherhood in the Church as Mediatrix of all graces, the reader will find here a sure and steady guide, faithful to tradition and offering a realistic perspective, not reducing the concrete aspects of Mary’s gifts and privileges to mere symbols on the one hand, and not confusing doctrine and devotionalism on the other.

“Hail Holy Queen” by Scott Hahn.

Thank you all so much for your recommendations! I really do appreciate it! I will definitely look into these titles.

Definitely St. Alphonsus Liguori’s The Glories of Mary, St. Louis de Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary, Fr. Frederick William Faber’s The Foot of the Cross, and Archbishop Fulton Sheen’s The World’s First Love are the best places to start.

If you have time, the Mystical City of God by Mary of Agreda. There is an abridged form of the 4 volumes about Our Blessed Mother that was written back in the 1600’s. According to the prefaces, the books were dictated to Mary of Agreda by Our Blessed Mother. It carries the Imprimatur.

The volumes contain
The Conception
The Incarnation
The Transfixtion
The Coronation

You can find them at TAN books. By honoring Our Blessed Mother, you honor her most Holy Son.

I highly recommend The Mystical City of God !! It has been the most in-depth book on Our Lady. Only after reading this can I say I know the life of Our Blessed Mother, as other religious have stated. Truly life changing.

Peace.

+JMJ+

This is based on private revelation though…so a word of caution to you before you read it…ecatholic2000.com/anne/lom.shtml

The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary
From The Visions Of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich

Translated by
Sir Michael Palairet

With supplementary notes by
Rev. Sebastian Bullough, O.P.

Edited by
Donald R. Dickerson, Jr.

This is based on private revelation though…so a word of caution to you before you read it…ecatholic2000.com/anne/lom.shtml

Thanks for the heads up! And thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I’ve lots of reading to do! I’m looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

THE MOTHER OF THE SAVIOUR AND OUR INTERIOR LIFE by Reverend Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P.

ecatholic2000.com/lagrange/saviour/mother.shtml#__RefHeading___Toc351750088

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.